New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

StarNut
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

Hi,

I'm going to be doing a ten-day rafting trip down Grand Canyon during the summer, and I'm pondering what to bring in the way of photography gear.

My profile shows what I own. This is a trip I will do only once. I obviously will take the little Sony with the waterproof case, but I'm wondering what to bring for when we're not on the water (hikes during the day; when in camp in the evening and the morning).

At the very least, I'll bring the 5DIII and the 24-105 lens. I'm inclined also to bring the 16-35, but it may be that the 50/1.4 would be a more useful choice. My favorite lens is the 70-200, but it's big and I have no idea if I'll have much call to use it on this trip.

Any informed counsel would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Mark

May 02, 2016 at 09:45 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

Mark,
I'll start out.
I made a 5 day trip over 10 years ago but was before serious about photography.
I noticed you said the Sony & it's waterproof case. I hope you have a water proof case, like a Pelican for the Canon! Things will get wet, very wet without protection. I had a digital P&S & after 4 days, it died.
I was trying to get by with double zip lock bags. Not only will things get wet, but the river water has lots of fine sediments that are destructive. If I do it again, will definitely bring my Pelican case.
I would also bring descant bags for when it's stored.

OK, enough about water. I think the 24-105 & 16-35 will be good for most shooting. It would be nice have the tele, but it's one more thing to pack, protect & "pack".

BTW, is this with Arizona River Runners?

It was an experience of a live time. Enjoy

Dan

May 02, 2016 at 10:01 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

Are you on a motor raft or on an oar rig? Are you going through to Whitmore or down to Diamond Ck or walking out at Phantom Ranch? I just got back from my second private trip where I rowed my raft for 21 days. I've also done 2 commercial motor raft trips.

You can get by with a little less water protection for your gear on a motor raft than on an oar raft. On my last motor trip I had my camera out most of the time and only put it away in the largest rapids. It depends on where you sit on the boat though.

I've used a Pelican Case on a couple trips and it worked ok. I've also used a Lowe Dryzone pack inside a dry bag. I didn't seal the dry part of the Lowe bag though and often just laid the camera on top of the bag and rolled down the dry bag to close it. Again, on the motor raft, on top towards the rear, it will not get all that wet. On an oar raft you need to take more precautions. The main thing is you want to have access to your gear where you can both get at it and be able to quickly put it away. You also want to be able to grab what you want to take on a hike along with your water.

On three of my trips my gear consisted of a 5D2/3 and 16-35, 24-105, and a 70-300L I also carried a RRS 14 tripod, polarizers, batteries, and a simple cleaning kit. This last trip I took the 24-105 and the 17 t-se because I had to pare it down, but I would recommend a longer zoom if possible. I keep a filter of some kind on the lenses at all times to keep dust off and out of the lens. Your gear will get gritty regardless of what you do.

A small waterproof camera is also great to have along. In the summer, the guides will try to do hikes in wet side canyons and having a camera that can handle being submerged is ideal. Don't forget to take some video too. A GoPro is a fun camera to take.

May 03, 2016 at 07:05 AM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

Dittos on the GoPro!

May 03, 2016 at 10:05 AM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

The very best videos (and stills) would come from one of the "Follow Me" video drones.

Program it to stay 50 feet behind you heading down stream and keep it 20 feet above you. I'd love to see the videos.

A possible fly in the ointment could be GPS accuracy in the canyon plus battery charging concerns.

Here is a link -- there are many more using google search.
https://3dr.com/best-follow-drone/

May 03, 2016 at 10:16 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

Drones are not allowed in the National Parks. Besides, the wind in the Canyon often exceeds 40mph on any given day.

May 03, 2016 at 10:45 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

i would take the 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200, BUT you could get by with 16-35, 50, and 70-200.

I think you would be regretting leaving the long lens at home. What i also do when deciding what lens to take (or buy for that matter) is to look up images from the GC (obviously not tourist shots from there at the rims) and see what focal lengths are used and see if you like those.

May 03, 2016 at 10:51 AM
lesgage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

Not only do you need to water proof it, you need to sand proof it too....think dirt....remember there is no place to charge a battery...so take lots fully charged....and keep them dark and cool....in a dry box close to the water for cooling....I have done 4 trips of rowing the grand, and its beautiful...and rugged.....have fun!!!!

Les

May 03, 2016 at 03:12 PM
Adam Schallau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

I most likely goes without saying, but you will want plenty of batteries. I second the recommendation for a filter on each lens. I keep my primary landscape camera and lenses inside mini dry bags in my daypack which itself is in a full-size dry bag.

My tripod is in a Really Right Stuff case inside a dry bag. I keep spare parts for the tripod (twist lock mechanisms) and tools with me as well. They don't take up much room, they're light, and they could be handy if I had a failure. I also keep a partial spool of gaffers tape wrapped around an expired gift card for use in field repairs.

What to take will depend on how much gear you are allowed to bring. If you're flying out of the canyon at Whitmore Wash, then you will have weight restrictions. If you're coming out at Diamond Creek you should have a little more flexibility in what you can bring.

At the minimum I'd want both the 16-35/2.8L II and 24-105/4L IS. The 70-200/2.8L would be nice, but it would be the first lens to sacrifice. Of course this is all a matter of personal style and what you like to photograph. The 24-105 on the 5D3 would make a great setup to use to shoot from the boat...just be sure to have a Pelican to store it in, and be sure to test your Pelican before trusting it on the river. I kept a 5D2 with the 24-105 with me at all times, and would drop it in a small dry bag and then put it inside a Pelican when I wasn't using it.

Have a great trip! I did an 18-day oar trip last year and will be taking a group of photographers down the river next year on an 18-day again. It's the experience of a lifetime.

May 03, 2016 at 04:37 PM
Ed Price

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

Mark,
You have some great advice from experienced people. I've done several private trips (kayak and rowing) and will add some recommendations based on my experience. I highly recommend a pelican case for your gear while on the boat, and a small pack for side hikes. You can buy a smaller inexpensive dry bag and carry it in your pack in case you get to a spot you will need to wade or swim though in one of the side creeks. Just put you pack in it and your gear is protected. The 24-105 will be very versitle and could probably suffice for the side hikes, but it's nice to have a 16-35mm for the wide shots. Since the 70-200 is your favorite bring it. There are plenty of opportunities to use it and if you are lucky you may get some photos of bighorn sheep. You could fit your gear in a Pelican 1450 case that has movable dividers for your gear.

Bring some small microfiber cloths or wash cloths to dry any water from your optics and keep the dust off.

Sounds like you're doing a commercial trip. Communicate with the staff and let them know you'd like to bring your photo gear and get info from them. They should be accomodating as possible but you may find some constraints, but better to know in advance.

The current issue of Arizona Highways has a nice portfolio of John Blaustein images from the canyon. Check it out and his book "The Hidden Canyon" to get an idea of what awaits you.

Have a great time,
Ed

May 03, 2016 at 11:15 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

Thanks very much; this is all very, very helpful!

Would the Pelican 1450 hold three lenses, or would it be good to get another for lenses?

Mark

May 04, 2016 at 09:52 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

StarNut wrote:
Thanks very much; this is all very, very helpful!

Would the Pelican 1450 hold three lenses, or would it be good to get another for lenses?

Mark

I've used the 1510 on river trips and it holds all you need. It easily held my camera and three lenses as well as spare batteries, filters, and cleaning kit. This last trip I used the 1400 with camera and two lenses but it is a lot smaller. I actually prefer a pack in a dry bag though for commercial motor raft trips.

One thing to consider, on hikes you will probably want to have your hands free so think about how you will carry your gear. Less is more on hikes. It will be very hot and the terrain is not easy. You may find the RX100 is the camera you take on hikes in a day pack with water, sunscreen, etc.

May 04, 2016 at 10:09 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

As a follow-up to my thread, we had a great trip!

I bought a Pelican 1535 for my Canon gear; it's perfect for the intended use.

But I didn't find much use for all the great gear on the rafting trip. I used the little Sony while getting doused on the raft, and there was very little while on land that the Canon would do that the Sony wouldn't do roughly as well. And it was so sandy that changing lenses was not a welcome step.

I'm still processing the hundreds and hundreds of photos, but I suspect that I will have very few from the Grand Canyon portion of the trip taken with my Canon gear.

OTOH, the Canon gear was wonderfully useful on the Arches/Canyonlands/Monument Valley/Zion parts of the trip, and I don't know that I would have been comfortable leaving all that gear untended in my car for a week while on the river.

Mark

Aug 26, 2016 at 02:11 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question on Gear for Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

The first thing you do is get a dry bag and there is a well-known manufacturer of such that is located in Seattle. I have never been on a rafting trip down the Colorado, although I have been very close to the Colorado river at the floor of the Grand Canyon. As such I recommend a short lens. The longest would be a 24-70mm lens or equivalent.

Sep 05, 2016 at 10:01 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.