FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Goldilocks

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Goldilocks

Was having some fun with the macro lens and flash.
Both are focused manually, and are at the MFD of the lens. #1 is a heavy crop, I would like to have been able to get 2x or 3x as close so no cropping would be necessary.
#2 was focus stacked with Zerene.

Still have a lot to learn, so I would love feedback. Thanks

May 02, 2016 at 09:30 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Goldilocks

Extension tubes or reversed lenes. Both will get you a lot closer. Nice detail on these. Keep playing.

May 03, 2016 at 07:22 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Goldilocks

Both are nice Yamil. Do you have extension tubes? They will allow you to get much closer ~ Ron

May 03, 2016 at 07:22 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Goldilocks

Thanks for your kind comments.

I'll be getting extension tubes shortly, since it seems what I had imagined in my head requires it. I'm starting to realize where the macro lenses shine is in capturing fine detail, but they still need extension tubes to get as close as I want.

Any recommendations? I've read good things about the Kenko extension tubes set in the past. Is that still a good value? It seems I can get three of them for the price of one Canon.

May 03, 2016 at 08:53 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Goldilocks

You could also use close up filters to get closer.

Morris

May 03, 2016 at 06:46 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Goldilocks

These are lovely. Your lighting looks so nice and even on these. Are these natural light or with flash. I have the Kenko tubes and love them. You will find that the closer you get the more diffused light you will need.

Birdie

May 03, 2016 at 06:53 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Goldilocks

Hi Birdie, thanks for your kind comment.
These are taken using a Yongnuo 568EX II flash bounced off a white door. Lots of different exposures to end up with these two!

These are very tiny flowers (specially #1) on a pot that was outside. Even a slight breeze would move it, so I brought the pot indoors into my bedroom where I have very strong overhead light. I had to turn off my ceiling fan AND turn off the A/C system so there would be no breeze whatsoever inside. Then set the camera on the tripod, and away I went with experimenting with the flash. I'm quite pleased with the results except, like I said, I would have liked to be twice or three times as close so I could achieve this or even closer magnification without needing to crop at all.

So Kenko tubes it will be

May 03, 2016 at 08:06 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.