Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

Hey guys and gals!

Got a question for anybody using a 70D or the like for video. I have the little Canon 24mm f/2.8 (Pancake) with STM focusing and it's nowhere near silent during video focusing. In fact, it's fairly buzzy and is picked up by both the onboard microphone and an external microphone when mounted in the hotshoe.

I was under the impression that the STM lenses were silent during movie AF. My 10-18 STM is perfectly silent during photo and video work. Is that not the case with the 24STM? Or is mine defective?

Thanks,
Matthew

May 02, 2016 at 12:48 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

The pancakes are not silent, likely a compromise based on reducing size. They should however still allow smooth focus pulls.

May 02, 2016 at 12:52 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

johnctharp wrote:
The pancakes are not silent, likely a compromise based on reducing size. They should however still allow smooth focus pulls.

Ah... Thanks for clarifying. Just making sure I don't have a bum focus motor on my hands.

May 02, 2016 at 01:01 PM
tkchen
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

You are not the only one. The 24mm f2.8 is louder than other STM lens (10-18 and 18-135) that I got, therefore I return it.

May 02, 2016 at 02:55 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

The 40 2.8 STM and 24 2.8 STM aren't buzzy but make a rolling mechanical sound with a little Tron like pitch as counterpoint. So not for use with built in mics. I normally use outboard audio (Tascam) but an external mic with shock mount normally doesn't pickup the focus noise. However, the 24 2.8 STM is one of fav lenses for stills and it lives on my SL1.

I got an 80D a month ago and have been using it with USM lenses while shooting music videos. Of course I use outboard audio and mics but the guide track recorded by the camera's mics are surprisingly silent. On my 70D USM lenses jerk and sound like drunken morse code. Very smooth and quiet on the 80D.

Edited on May 02, 2016 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

May 02, 2016 at 04:26 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

I thought the whole point of the STM motor was to be silent during video. I really got the 24 so that I could treat my 70D as a sort of "Handycam" camcorder with a small external mic. I'll do some more testing, but if it's not silent for video, the way Canon has advertised, then it's useless to me.

I just didn't know if mine was broken or if it was normal.

I have a 24L II which is a hell of a nice lens. I'll just use that if neither of them are silent.

May 02, 2016 at 04:30 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

Gochugogi wrote:
The 40 2.8 STM and 24 2.8 STM aren't buzzy but make a rolling mechanical sound with a little Tron like pitch as counterpoint. So not for use with built in mics. I normally use outboard audio (Tascam) but an external mic with shock mount normally doesn't pickup the focus noise. However, the 24 2.8 STM is one of fav lenses for stills and it lives on my SL1.

I got an 80D a month ago and have been using it with USM lenses while shooting music videos. Of course I use outboard audio and mics but the guide track recorded
...Show more

You're just trying to convince me that I need an SL1 for that 24. I won't buy into such nonsense. No way, no how!

May 02, 2016 at 04:33 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

I haven't tried the 24L but the EF 24 2.8 IS USM tracks and pulls smooth as silk on my 80D (not so much on my 70D). The EF 35 2.0 IS USM tracks smoothly as well.

May 02, 2016 at 04:35 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

matthewm wrote:
I'll do some more testing, but if it's not silent for video, the way Canon has advertised...

They really didn't. STM is a smooth focus pull technology, which like USM may be quiet during focus pulls. Or not, in the case of the pancakes.

May 02, 2016 at 07:35 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

johnctharp wrote:
They really didn't. STM is a smooth focus pull technology, which like USM may be quiet during focus pulls. Or not, in the case of the pancakes.

From the Canon website (more specifically, the STM-specific micro site):

"Canon STM lenses shoot great photos and even better videos. They’re named after an element of technology called a Stepping Motor, which lets the lenses focus smoothly and silently when capturing video."

May 02, 2016 at 07:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

matthewm wrote:
From the Canon website (more specifically, the STM-specific micro site):

"Canon STM lenses shoot great photos and even better videos. They’re named after an element of technology called a Stepping Motor, which lets the lenses focus smoothly and silently when capturing video."

You're right- they did.

Can't say that I'm one for marketing materials, but the site linked above most certainly associates the pancakes and the 50/1.8 STM with silence, which is rather much wrong, I apologize.

As should Canon....

(I was expecting some sort of disclaimer on the page that doesn't seem to be there...)

Edited on May 02, 2016 at 07:59 PM · View previous versions

May 02, 2016 at 07:56 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

johnctharp wrote:
You're right- they did.

Can't say that I'm one for marketing materials, but the site linked above most certainly associates the pancakes with silence, which is rather much wrong, I apologize.

As should Canon....

(I was expecting some sort of disclaimer on the page that doesn't seem to be there...)

Oh believe me... I looked. That was the first thing I looked at to see if maybe the STM motor on the 24 was somehow different. Not your fault at all!

May 02, 2016 at 07:58 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 24mm STM Not Silent During Video?

matthewm wrote:
Oh believe me... I looked. That was the first thing I looked at to see if maybe the STM motor on the 24 was somehow different. Not your fault at all!

Well, they *are* different, which is why I was looking for that disclaimer. The pancakes and the 50 are unit focusing lenses, while the zooms are all internal focus presumably with smaller focus groups along with a greater distance from mount (and mic) to focus motor, and likely more stuff to dampen what noise there is.

May 02, 2016 at 08:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.