New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

nola_print

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

Help! I'm looking for some advice on customizing the lenses I carry for nightclub work. I'm a hobbyist photographer with mid-grade gear. Occasionally I'm paid (not much) to do shoots, but mostly its just freebie shoots for friends and club owners.

My current lens bag contains:

Canon 5dMk3 (crucial due to needing the ISO for dark spaces)
Sigma 24-105mm F4 IS
Canon 50mm f1.4
Canon 580 EX II Speed light (chosen for reliability over the off camera Yongnuo 685s I own which dont work as well in ETTL)

My dilemma: Selecting a good lens set that covers the available range while remaining lightweight enough to be practical. Big lenses are great but they are difficult to carry, and I can't set my gear bag down at all in these environments, I have to carry it 24-7.

Current bag rationale: I picked the Sigma 24-105 f4 because of cost ($800). I actually once owned a Canon 24-70 f2.8 (mark 1 model) but it was stolen. The Sigma is slower than the Canon but I am nervous about buying a $1700 lens for a nightclub.

Meanwhile the 50mm f1.4 is there to give me the ability to shoot in very low light, which is crucial for stage shows. I love this lens. I would marry it and leave the Sigma at home entirely, except for one thing. The field of view is often too narrow to be useful. If I've got my 50 mounted and have to do a group photo I'm just hosed. There's often not enough room to back up, and shooting on-cam flash means staying within 15ft. So as much as I love it, I have to find a similar, wider lens.

Given all of this, I basically see myself as having 5 options.

1. Stay with what I've got and just work with it. The cheapest option by far, if perhaps not the most satisfying. Particularly annoying is trying to shoot cramped, lowlight stage shows with a 50mm, or groups of screaming sorority girls.

2. Buy a 35mm prime lens to replace the 50mm in my bag. I've looked at the Canon 35mm f2.0 IS specifically. It's $500 or so. It's not as good a lens as the 1.4s, but it is a fairly low weight.

3. Go on eBay and try to find a Mark 1 35mm f2.0 lens, which from what I can tell is much less expensive than the newer IS version. Unfortunately, Canon discontinued it. I have zero experience with this lens and whether it would actually help me in this situation or whether it would just introduce new problems.

4. Buy the Canon or Sigma 35mm 1.4. Problem: these lenses are heavy and getting into the price range where I am seriously antsy about getting something stolen. The weight is also a factor. I can barely feel the 50mm in my bag, and thats part of what makes it so attractive.

5. Go with an exotic, like the Tamron 15-30mm f2.8. This would let me take some additional "cool" wide shots. (I currently own a Canon 16-35 f4 IS which is lovely but totally impractical for this job.) But again with the weight. If I went with one of these I'd need to ditch my Sigma 24-105 altogether. But maybe a combo of the Tamron + Canon 50mm would work.

Any insights people can provide will be helpful. I try to talk to my local camera dealers, but I lose them after "nightclub."

May 02, 2016 at 12:17 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

I am very happy with the Sigma 35MM f1.4

May 02, 2016 at 01:08 PM
andre03
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

...not getting paid, use what you have.

When I'm shooting jazz in a club (U.S., Central and South America, Mexico, Canada, Europe, etc.), I'll : 1. Put my gear with the band's instruments on stage, 2. In the "green room", 3. A chair/table assigned to the musicians, 4. People I trust or 5. Carry it.

I've never had my gear stolen.

May 02, 2016 at 01:39 PM
Dragontet

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

A 6th option...sell the Sigma and buy the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC. This lens has quickly become one of my all time favorites. Grey market on Ebay ran me about 800 USD.

May 02, 2016 at 11:01 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

I see you're in NoLa. I think it could depend on which club you are in, and especially which ward or neighborhood.

For some places I'd want something that is cheap or at least looks cheap.

May 02, 2016 at 11:58 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

First off, this thread's title is deceptive. I thought we were talking about bags.

I do quite a bit of stage work. Most times I only use only my Sigma 50mm Art. It's fast, sharp, and a great compromise focal length. If you aren't getting paid, then don't worry about getting all the shots. If I am being paid, then I bring a Think Tank Urban Disguise shoulder bag with 35mm and 135mm lenses included. The bag works nice because it stands up and can easily be stashed in a corner. It usually stays in the green room, but I can carry it over my shoulder too. I very occasionally get paid it do paparazzi-style shooting in which case I use a flash and monopod. I never do that for free. Theft is a non-issue for the shows I do.

May 03, 2016 at 01:00 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

I'd get a used 35mm f2, it's a very good little lens that won't cost you much.

May 03, 2016 at 01:29 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

Billingham Hadley or Hadley Pro.

May 03, 2016 at 09:03 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

Probably not an option due to cost, but Canon's 24-70 f/2.8L II would be nearly ideal for cruddy low light and flexibility. My two cents.

May 03, 2016 at 09:26 AM
Denny JetTone

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

Since you use a flash, I’ll assume that your nightclub shooting is usually not of performing musicians and that you’re shooting mostly young patrons, draped over each other while mugging for the camera.

I shoot a lot of stage shows and a few events similar to a nightclub setting, and I have not needed anything faster than f/2.8 – your 5dMk3 is very capable in low light. And with flash, that point is moot.

Try to get by with one lens. If you don’t want to spend the money on the Canon 24-70 f/2.8, get the Tamron knock off. Primes have their place but it’s often not possible to zoom-with-your-feet anywhere near quickly enough in a crowded place with the action constantly changing.

Think about not carrying a traditional bag. For a situation like yours I walk in with camera (or two) in hand. I use a “sporting goods store” fanny pack (turned around so it’s a tummy pack) and, maybe an additional lens pouch on my belt. You can easily find a fanny pack that has a compartment large enough for any 24-70 2.8 with hood in place. The one that I use has a water bottle holder on each side of the main compartment that is deep enough and secure enough that it will hold an SB-910 with diffuser and an attached Yongnuo 622 radio trigger. If you feel the need, you can carry your 50 1.4.

All this, of course, is only my opinion.

Denny

May 03, 2016 at 01:46 PM
nola_print

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

Thanks for the advice everyone, there are some helpful tips. It has given me a lot to think about.

The photography I do in clubs tends to be a combo of "party pics" type stuff and actual stage shows, particularly drag shows, cabaret stuff, and burlesque. Many of these clubs do not believe in providing actual stage lights or proper lighting, so that means shooting in conditions that are often unfavorable. 6400-128k ISO is the typical range without flash, even wide open on the 50mm f1.4. One club I shoot in by the light of a Bud Light sign because it is the brightest thing there, .

I do think the solution is a 35mm prime lens. I am just unsure right now if I purchase the Canon 35mm f2.0 IS if I will regret it instead of going with the f1.4 (I'm leaning toward the Sigma model). If only the 35mm 1.4s were as lightweight as the 50mms.

May 04, 2016 at 07:29 AM
KSgal

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

Might try the 24mm pancake, and/or the 40mm pancake. Cheap, paired with a 100mm of some sort, might be ok, and certainly a lot lighter. Even with all three.

go thru and check what MM you are shooting the 24-105 at a lot.

also, I'd trade out the 580ex to the 430ex of canon.. smaller but still plenty good enough for indoor. JMHO.

May 04, 2016 at 10:17 AM
nola_print

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

I posted some sample images of what I often use the 50mm for below. I use it mainly for intentional "weird" effects that people can't acheive with cell phones, mainly when I shoot the performers or dancers or sometimes just people who show up in costumes, on or off stage.

The only issue is sometimes the 50 just isn't wide enough to capture stages, and sometimes when I have it mounted someone on a microphone will just go "Everyone look at the photographer!" And then I would actually have more luck with a cell phone .

http://s32.postimg.org/5qy4rfhph/GH4_A0940.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/46j5i6dlx/GH4_A1439_Edit.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/8rww7k5lx/GH4_A9150.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/pozr57hb9/GH4_A9225.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/4bdq0d65h/GH4_A5356_Edit.jpg
http://s32.postimg.org/9vm44692d/GH4_A5573_Edit.jpg

May 04, 2016 at 10:42 AM
nola_print

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

I have an update. I took some time to think about the type of photos I take and what I want to get out of them, and what future lenses I might be adding to my bag in the future. There's a chance that in years to come I could find myself switching out the Sigma 24-105 for a 24-70 f2.8. To me, that one stop of light is too close to the 35mm f2.0 models to worry about having the f2 anymore. So the lens choice that makes sense is the 35mm f1.4.

I decided to go with the Sigma, after a very positive experience with their 24-105 lens. Here's hoping the lens does what I'm after. I'm super excited to finally have a fast 35mm lens headed my way! Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread to help me think through the decision.

May 04, 2016 at 02:01 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

I shoot dancers, musicians and other performers in small clubs in NYC all the time, and I use prime lenses exclusively. It's a pain in the arse but I find that in most nightclubs I need to be wider than f/2.0 to get the best action.

My kit is unreasonably spendy but there are more reasonably priced alternatives for most of them:

6D
Sigma 20mm Art f/1.4 (Alternative: Sigma 20mm f/1.8)
Sigma 50mm Art f/1.4
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 (Alternative: Canon 85mm f/1.8)

BTW I also usually have a Canon 135mm f/2.0 in my bag, but I use it more in larger clubs and for orchestras.

A 35mm might suit you fine but IMO you should check how many of your shots with the zoom are wider than 35mm currently. I personally love 20mm for clubs (or anywhere I can get right up to the action). I once tried to replace my 20mm with a 24mm but I ended up having to repurchase the 20mm.

I keep it all in an ONA Union Street bag, with the flap folded back in front of my body, and I have the lenses ready with lens hoods on and caps off.

www.markshelbyperry.smugmug.com

May 04, 2016 at 03:58 PM
nola_print

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

Hmm that Sigma 20mm f1.4 is SERIOUSLY tempting. I have Canon 16-35 4.0 that is collecting dust in my closet. Wonder if I could sell it and get the Sigma. Would love to try some wide angle, super wide aperture portraits.

May 04, 2016 at 06:20 PM
nola_print

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

By the way Mark, your work is very impressive. Really inspiring me to push myself harder. I've been pretty lazy with some of my stuff, with the f4 limit on the 24-105 and all, but seeing what you've done with your primes makes me think I should think about going all-prime like you did.

May 04, 2016 at 06:31 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens Bag for Nightclub Photography

nola_print wrote:
The photography I do in clubs tends to be a combo of "party pics" type stuff and actual stage shows, particularly drag shows, cabaret stuff, and burlesque. Many of these clubs do not believe in providing actual stage lights or proper lighting, so that means shooting in conditions that are often unfavorable. 6400-128k ISO is the typical range without flash, even wide open on the 50mm f1.4. One club I shoot in by the light of a Bud Light sign because it is the brightest thing there, .

I think clubs like that keep the lights low because it adds mystery and lowers overhead.

Just thinking out loud... If I was being paid to deliver high(er) quality images, I would ask to shoot the talent with flash in a simulated show. It would be fairly easy to set up some studio strobes with gels that would mimic stage lights. I realize the odds of this happening are somewhere between slim and none, but I thought I'd toss it out there. This could be proposed while having a discussion of realistic expectations. Crappy lighting = crappy photos.

If my main light was a Bud Light sign, I'd go home and have a good beer.

May 04, 2016 at 07:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.