FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       8       end

Archive 2016 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

Glen, 1DXII file is less noisy than 1DX file. While not an earth shattering difference, definitely a fair bit less than one stop, it is not insignificant either.

May 04, 2016 at 03:07 PM
SR777
• •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

Thank you, Gadget-Guy and BirdWhisperer. Your inputs were instrumental in my accepting my dealer's offer to fill my pre-order.

May 04, 2016 at 03:19 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

PetKal wrote:
I am not sure about that link between AF and colours, unless you turned iTR AF on ?

I've noticed a similar issue with the IDx and dark and light uniforms. AF would definitely have a preference for one over the other. ITR AF only works in auto and zone, however, so I can't see how that would affect it in my case, since I never use those AF modes. Generally, I have iTR AF turned off, but I've shot with it both on and off and never saw a difference. More aggravating for me was the reaction of the AF when backlighting, When areas were blown out, it struggled to focus even on the subject that wasn't. Definitely a problem that none of the earlier models had.

Got my 1Dx2 yesterday, but haven't taken it out yet. It seems to be monsoon season here, and I decided to not break it in by taking it out to shoot golf in the pouring rain.

If anyone is looking for a 1Dx2, I placed a new order with Procam in Chicago on Friday and it arrived yesterday. Not bad. The one I ordered from B&H on Feb 1 arrives tomorrow.

May 04, 2016 at 04:03 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

Gadget-Guy wrote:
Not a very scientific test but not much in it @25600 to my eye with these two jpegs.

Can you tell the difference without checking file names or numbers?

To be honest? No.

I didn't look at them at 100% or anything, but from what is simply presented here, I could not tell a difference. I tried inventing a few differences, but then when I would go back to the other picture, I'd find the same thing. Just hadn't noticed it the first time. I'm not a trained pixel peeper, but I looked at the dark fireplace and the dark mane on the Lion's head.

PetKal, if you staked your bet on ISO performance at 25,600, instead of autofocus differences, you'd be $50 richer right now.

May 04, 2016 at 05:25 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

Focus Locus wrote:
[ didn't look at them at 100% or anything, but from what is simply presented here, I could not tell a difference.

Got to look at the large files. These small size posting images are not very telling....the smaller they are, the better they look.
I could post 40D pictures resized to 800 pixels wide and "sell" them to you as 5DSR images.

May 04, 2016 at 05:29 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

Well, I followed the link and clicked on them, but for some reason I wasn't able to download them. Might be my computer security settings. Can someone post a snipet of equivalent dark areas at 100% to illustrate any difference in noise between the two frames?

May 04, 2016 at 05:34 PM
netexpress
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

I'd like to express my congratulations to the winner of the $50 challenge.

Is there an "Everyone is a winner" certificate for being probably the 1000th person in North America to get a 1DX II

May 04, 2016 at 10:29 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

She is a tease.

May 04, 2016 at 10:32 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

Gadget-Guy wrote:
Not a very scientific test but not much in it @25600 to my eye with these two jpegs.

Fascinating. It is remarkable how similar the images are. I am assuming you've shot VI vs V11. Examined both very carefully. It seems pix 1 has a bit more. Notice the greater pebbling in the wall finish particularly as you move right to left. The shadow behind the bundled what's it on the left clearly has a bit more light and detail. Also the shadow behind the big lion seems to have more in it. The well-illuminated parts - I can't seem much difference. It's only the extreme edges and shadows. I could most likely be full of it (hardly the first time), but would guess first pix is VII.

Regardless it clearly demonstrates while the VII is undoubtably a refinement/improvement over V1, but anyone who thinks they need to run out and buy a VII cause they think VI just became junk either (1) has too much $$ laying around (I'd take a quick loan if you're willing or (2) they really need every ounce because of what they shoot.

Your discussion of how many more keepers you got in a burst with the cycle pix is particularly compelling. I rarely shoot more than half a dozen cause the action's over, but if I could double that - hmm. Perhaps the AF is improved, particularly for high speed objects. I think I can see shadow improvement.

As a working pro I don't shoot near as much you do because I work in a very small market (read poor) and have never been willing to play with MaxPreps or some such. My biggest problem - other that sometimes questionable AF - is when I have to tight crop at 6400, I end up stepping on them fairly hard with noise reduction. Okay for their intended use, but would like to be able to print bigger. I would also love to be able to shoot at f/2.8 in the dismal venues I work in. For the last 6 seasons (no matter the school), it's always fast primes. Assuming what you've found holds true for other working stiffs, I'm not sure how to find the $$, and Canon doesn't seem willing to discount their Cadillacs. Question. Equation 1Dx11 - 1Dx = $$?

Thanks for your efforts here. This is what I need.

Robert

May 05, 2016 at 10:13 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

I like to read gear operating feedback from photographers who are at the top of their game, such as Glen aka Gadget Guy (motorsport photography in UK) and Roland aka Netexpress (gear collecting in Californicatia).

May 05, 2016 at 11:17 AM
KSgal

p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

netexpress wrote:
I'd like to express my congratulations to the winner of the $50 challenge.

Is there an "Everyone is a winner" certificate for being probably the 1000th person in North America to get a 1DX II

Yep, you get to WEAR said camera around your neck....

While the rest of us can only drool and dream.

I'm sure I'll get one someday.. like in 5 years.. for a 1DX... only to find I'm too old, and the camera is too heavy..

Focus Locus wrote:
Feeling my pain? No, I don't think so. My pain is having purchased not just one, but two new 1DX mark 1's at full Canon USA prices just last year, about a week before the price suddenly dropped. This, after patiently waiting for four years for that price to drop, finally concluding that it might not ever during the life of the camera. With no new sport's body in sight, a five $$$$$ digit crater in my credit card brought me back up to speed with my competitors in indoor low light fast action high ISO performance. And now,
...Show more

But, still a much better pain than never getting to own one (let alone two! Wow! )

And for what it is worth, I was an early-full-price-adopter of the 7DII which is nothing (I know), as I got it paid off the other day.. but I need a darn vehicle more than another bleeping camera.. at least I keep telling myself that. But I'm totally green you have two of them, hope that helps a little.

May 05, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

OntheRez wrote:
Examined both very carefully. It seems pix 1 has a bit more. Notice the greater pebbling in the wall finish particularly as you move right to left. The shadow behind the bundled what's it on the left clearly has a bit more light and detail. Also the shadow behind the big lion seems to have more in it... I.. would guess first pix is VII. Regardless it clearly demonstrates while the VII is undoubtably a refinement/improvement over V1...

The first pic is actually V1. The second pic is VII. Kind of blows that theory eh?

I know the rest of your post explained that you could have been "full of it", but this isn't about you being right or wrong. It is about just how little difference can be generally perceived between the two shots GG posted between these two cameras at 25600.

(Follow Gadget Guy's links where he identifies the pics. Match the pics by referencing the amount of purple pillow captured in frame on the lower right)

May 05, 2016 at 12:52 PM
Gadget-Guy

p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

Focus Locus wrote:
The first pic is actually V1. The second pic is VII. Kind of blows that theory eh?

I know the rest of your post explained that you could have been "full of it", but this isn't about you being right or wrong. It is about just how little difference can be generally perceived between the two shots GG posted between these two cameras at 25600.

(Follow Gadget Guy's links where he identifies the pics. Match the pics by referencing the amount of purple pillow captured in frame on the lower right)

And thats the thing to keep in mind in all honesty.

The gap isnt much at all unless you need video or really need that extra little bit of everything the new one offers.

Still in my mind its more of the same step taken with the MKII upto the MKIIN on the actual SLR side of things in which it was just made a little bit better in certain ares but mainly left the same with parts and functions that already worked.

Biggest things for me are the slightly better A/F for head on shots of bikes doing over 100mph.

Slightly better handling of noise at higher ISO as i can increase my depth of field while maintaining higher speeds in certain situations as now 12800 is more than acceptable for me.

Last bit would be the extra frame rate as sometimes the difference of getting the right shot can even be down to the reflection off the curb stones acting as fill light and lifting some shadows or even a flame from un-burnt fuel from the exhaust.

Have already seen second hand 1DX cameras here in the UK going for just over £2000 so you could in theory grab and 1DX and a 300 f2.8 IS L MKII for the same price as the new camera and more than likely get more use from it.

May 05, 2016 at 04:15 PM
niani.gil
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

Me too
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4X6rZNc/0/X2/i-4X6rZNc-X2.jpg

May 05, 2016 at 05:09 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

I have reflected some more on 1DXII, based on what Glen has brought to the table as well as the published camera specifications. Taking into account things I like to photograph, I still find myself unable to justify the 1DXII purchase at its current Canadian CPS price.
Be that as it may, this is a little summary of where I see 1DXII:
(1) Servo AF/Tracking: There has been a modest improvement compared to 1DX, as described by Glen. Partly that might be due to the increase in low light AF point sensitivity, could be other things too. My key word here is "modest improvement", that I would probably benefit from, looking at it long term.
(2) Active AF point illumination: That is quite important to me because I have done lately a fair bit of low light photography of targets which are moving around, and are large in the frame, and with limited DoF. Under those conditions, fast and accurate roll of the active AF point across the frame is critical. However, can't go very far with that unless the AF point is CLEARLY visible.
(3) AF selection enable pushbutton/joystick: Since I shoot almost exclusively in M exposure mode, I need the AF point selection joystick to operate well. Alternatively, I need the AF selection enable pushbutton to operate in a positive manner, so that I do not inadvertently alter exposure while tweaking the control dials, because the said pushbutton failed to engage. That has been a problem for me with 1DX, and I am not sure if 1DXII improves the situation.
(4) Extra resolution, extra FPS, and some minor improvement in high ISO file noise, are all good, yet I wouldn't pay much money for all that taken collectively.
No deal makers there for me.
(5) Screen touch control: I personally find that feature increasingly useful, but far from critical, given the general robustness of 1D type control dials.
(6) Multipoint AF at f/8: That would probably be one of more useful 1DXII features for me, although I dislike anything f/8.

All in all, even if I give full credit to AF/tracking improvements as well as the ergonomics improvements, I see 1DXII as being a very modestly enhanced version of 1DX. Is that enhancement worth $7.5k CDN for me ? Not by a long shot.

Edited on May 05, 2016 at 05:45 PM · View previous versions

May 05, 2016 at 05:38 PM
Gadget-Guy

p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

The one thing we didn't get in the UK and as far as i know in Europe was the Cfast card and Reader included in the box with the 1DX MKII,we have to apply online and wait for it to be delivered in 4-6 weeks time.

Apparently the frame grabs you can do off of 4k are excellent quality :-)

May 05, 2016 at 05:41 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

PetKal wrote:
(3) AF selection enable pushbutton/joystick: Since I shoot almost exclusively in M exposure mode, I need the AF point selection joystick to operate well. Alternatively, I need the AF selection enable pushbutton to operate in a positive manner, so that I do not inadvertently alter exposure while tweaking the control dials, because the said pushbutton failed to engage. That has been a problem for me with 1DX, and I am not sure if 1DXII improves the situation.
[...]
All in all, even if I give full credit to AF/tracking improvements as well as the ergonomics improvements, I see 1DXII as being a
...Show more

Not arguing your decision Peter, it appears to be the right one considering your needs, the 1Dx experience you have and the 1Dx2 facts you think you are aware of without trying it. Here, I am merely reflecting on your #3 issue. It would be interesting to know how the "new" VF red focus illumination behave in "selection mode" i.e. after pushing the pushbutton. For instance if all points should show up red momentarily at pushing the button, by design or even ghosted, it could be a confirmation that you actually pushed the button.Also, the shape of the multicontroller has changed, so it may function even better now. I did find the 1Dx multicontroller perform better than the 5D3 multicontroller.

May 06, 2016 at 04:02 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

PetKal wrote:
All in all, even if I give full credit to AF/tracking improvements as well as the ergonomics improvements, I see 1DXII as being a very modestly enhanced version of 1DX. Is that enhancement worth $7.5k CDN for me ? Not by a long shot.

With the lack of any high ISO performance increase it will all come down to AF for me. I may try to get a CPS loaner later this year to see how the AF performs. Time it so I can use it at an equestrian event to test obstacle avoidance while tracking. No camera I've used has ever been really consistent with that including the 1DX.

Even then, is that worth $6000? Looks like an iPhone6 to iPhone6s upgrade for stills except Canon took 4 years to do it. A good refurb purchase though at some point.

May 06, 2016 at 07:17 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

rabbitmountain wrote:
Not arguing your decision Peter, it appears to be the right one considering your needs, the 1Dx experience you have and the 1Dx2 facts you think you are aware of without trying it. Here, I am merely reflecting on your #3 issue. It would be interesting to know how the "new" VF red focus illumination behave in "selection mode" i.e. after pushing the pushbutton. For instance if all points should show up red momentarily at pushing the button, by design or even ghosted, it could be a confirmation that you actually pushed the button.Also, the shape of the multicontroller has
...Show more

I'm comparing custom controls between the MK 1 and 2 manuals and there is a change. I'm assuming you can assign the multi-controller to move the AF point/s around on the 1DX II?

May 06, 2016 at 08:54 AM
Gadget-Guy

p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · 1DX(I)-->1DX(II) upgraders: $50 prize for grabs

Very quick update.

Have spent the last two evenings playing with the 1DX MKII and original 1DX coupled with a 1.4 tc and the 500 along with the 7D MKII with just the 500mm trying to compare A/F and in all honesty the 1D MKII and 7D MKII have the edge in initial focus acquisition over the 1DX while trying to take images of some swifts and swallows.

The original 1DX has a tendency to hunt or at leat seems to focus too one extreme first before returning and grabbing focus where as the 7D MKII and 1DX MKII after a very slight delay have worked out if the subject is approaching or receding etc and lock on instantly.

Although the 1DX seems more responsive first off followed by the new MKII and then the 7D MKII the new 1DX never really seems to miss even when the subject is on the outer limits of the focus zones.

Off to play at an airshow on Sunday so will update a little more if possible.

May 06, 2016 at 12:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.