New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Head shots

HelloMrLocust

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Head shots

I do a lot of head shots for job. I don't know how often people complain about their photos, but I feel like a lot of people don't like them. I try to ask them what they don't like and they just don't like the way they look. I know some of this is because some people are never happy, but I also know that I need to improve... especially in posing. I've looked all over the place for corporate head shot posing and I haven't come up with much. I really struggle with this sometimes. Can you please critique some of my shots? I'm going to try and include some good and bad ones. Thank you.

May 02, 2016 at 09:12 AM
z33k3r

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Head shots

I think in general, people don't like seeing themselves...we get a picture in our head of what we look like, but a photo always brings us down to real life. Secondly, maybe some of the lighting? Number 2 seems like the light was a bit close and a bit to centered? Additionally, the clients only get in what they put out; some of them didn't appear to make an extra effort to clean up their hair, makeup etc. Last thing I can think of is that these are very crisp and you can see all the detail in the skin (for better/worse). Maybe some of the reactions are based off of the detail they don't see day to day in their faces? Not a whole lot to criticize here

May 02, 2016 at 10:44 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Head shots

It doesn't look like you do much with the skin in your post-processing. I'm not advocating to make the skin look plastic, but you can definitely soften the skin. What they likely don't like about these shots is that they're too real, too sharp, and their every pore and wrinkle is featured.

Shadows emphasize the wrinkles and pores. There's a million different ways to light a head shot, and there's no one right way to do it. You also want to consider the angle that you're shooting. Take into consideration that third shot. There's a reason that most women shoot their selfies holding the camera up high.

May 02, 2016 at 11:05 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Head shots

It's often difficult to get some people to like their pictures - no matter how good a job we do.

However, I'll offer up a couple of suggestions.

I'm thinking the key light could be a little more central and slightly higher. Balance it out a little with a refelctor underneath. This gets you a slightly better jaw line shadow which adds definition.

Your hairlight is doing the job, but there is no rim light from behind. A lower rim skimming the edge of hair/face on the opposite side of the key adds a wonderful dimension and life to the shot.

The first lady has shine on her top lip and across her forehead. I carry a few simple powders that work well. (MAC 25, 30, 35 and dark, deep dark, medium). Nothing fancy but often helps.

1st and last shots have subjects looking a little hunched. I tell people to imagine a hook in the top of their head, pulling their who body, head, neck upwards. I'm sure you've heard of the "turtle neck" technique for getting a good jawline. Works with some people, dreadful for others with no coordination - but give it a try.

Images look like they've got a little extra clarity being added. Do you process in LR ? The clarity tool in LR is quite viscous and often not good for skin. (Have a look at Capture One, which has better clarity tools which mean you can slightly soften skin whilst adding structure to regain the definition by using the Natural Clarity option).

Ther's a tendancy for a little excess red in the images. Again Capture One does a better job than LR for colours. (I find it's great but often needs saturation pulled down by about 10-15). Or look at your camera profile options. Choose or create one that doesn't accentutate the reds in skin.

A slightly shallower depth of field helps add a little interest and... depth. I find F4 on full frame with a 100 - 130 mm focal length gives a good balance.

There's certainly nothing wrong with your images, but there's scope for people to fall more in love with them.

Oh, and here's a daft thing - but it works... Exclaim haw amazing the shots are from the get-go. "Wow that looks great, you'll love this, wat till you see how wonderful you look, oh that's sooo much better - now you've got it...." This is the point where someone has to disagree with your considered opinion, and they're less likely to do that than if you meekly ask if it's OK. Confidence breeds confidence.

I shoot tethered so they can see a decent size version of the shots and I offer them the option to choose their favourite (of all those wonderful shots). Again it breeds confidence and if they're not sure, push them back infront of the lens to the tune of "we've got great shots but I know you'=ve got somethng more for me). + big smiles and confidence...

May 02, 2016 at 11:29 AM
HelloMrLocust

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Head shots

Wow. Thanks for all the great info! I do all my editing in Photoshop. I guess I will ask for Capture One in a few months when the new budget year starts.

I don't do a lot of skin retouching. I guess I need to have that discussion with my boss. These photos aren't for the person specifically. They are for the company I work for. I find it difficult to balance an accurate portrayal of the person and cleaning up the image.

The head positioning always kills me. I think it looks better when they are facing straight forward, but I see a lot of people having the head turned to the side a good bit. I know it's all a learning experience, but I want people to be satisfied with what I give them.

Thanks again!

May 02, 2016 at 02:50 PM
ahaug
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Head shots

friscoron wrote:
It doesn't look like you do much with the skin in your post-processing. I'm not advocating to make the skin look plastic, but you can definitely soften the skin. What they likely don't like about these shots is that they're too real, too sharp, and their every pore and wrinkle is featured.

Shadows emphasize the wrinkles and pores. There's a million different ways to light a head shot, and there's no one right way to do it. You also want to consider the angle that you're shooting. Take into consideration that third shot. There's a reason that most women shoot their
...Show more

Every woman will be happier with some smoothing of the skin. I think these images are too sharp and make the women look older than they are. Just apply some local edits with decreased clarity

May 04, 2016 at 08:15 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Head shots

As for the head position, it's purely subjective. Some people might argue that, but if they did, they'd be arguing based on their opinion, which is what subjectivity is.

By the way, I suggest you click on Lee's website link and then click on his People section. You'll see quite a few headshots in there and you can see how he handles lighting and DOF as he discussed in his response.

We all develop our own style and brand in terms of headshot/portraits or whatever, and there's no one right way of doing things. But you may look at Lee's headshots and make adjustments to how you do things based on what you see. Or you may say, no, that's not my thing, and keep forging your own path. Either way, you're still forging your own path, it's just a matter of whether you stay on your own road, or you turn off, and start your own new road.

May 05, 2016 at 08:21 AM
HelloMrLocust

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Head shots

friscoron wrote:
As for the head position, it's purely subjective. Some people might argue that, but if they did, they'd be arguing based on their opinion, which is what subjectivity is.

By the way, I suggest you click on Lee's website link and then click on his People section. You'll see quite a few headshots in there and you can see how he handles lighting and DOF as he discussed in his response.

We all develop our own style and brand in terms of headshot/portraits or whatever, and there's no one right way of doing things. But you may look at Lee's headshots
...Show more

Thanks! I've been looking through his site. Is he using the clam shell lighting technique for most of this head shots?

Right now I'm using an octobox as a main, umbrella as a fill and a gridded hair light.

May 05, 2016 at 11:20 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Head shots

To help things along I'll explain my lighting for each page on the "people" section of my site...

Lee Christiansen Website

1) Offset 4x3 softbox, Reflector under and to side. 2 rim lights + hairlight. 2 lights on backdrop.
2) 30cm sq softbox / speedlight onlu balanced against ambient 1.5 stop under
3) Nearly clamshel with slightly offset BD and reflector. Hairlight and strip to camera right
4) 5ft Profoto XL white parabolic offset + offset hairlight. Ambient and 2 B1's on background.
5) Clamshell with BD
6) 30cm sq softbox / speedlight with speedlight hairlight on girl.
7) Suited man: Clamshell
8) Offset 4x3 softbox, Reflector under and to side. 2 rim lights, light on backdrop.
9) BD clamshell, 2x rim lights, light on backdrop
10) Natural light for pic on left. See (1) for pic on right.
11) Ambient in London Underground Tube train.
12) Ambient and speedlight on camera with Lumiquest Kwikbounce.
13) Clamshell with BD
14) Clamshell with 2x rim lights
15) Outdoor portrait: 5ft Profoto XL white parabolic offset with offset B1 hairlight
16) 3x Speedlights - one with 30cm softbox
17) Clamshell
18) Clamshell
19) Natural light
20) Single brolly and Lencarta 600W battery strobe. Hairlight by natural light
21) Offset 4x3 softbox, Reflector under + to side. 2 rim lights + hairlight. 2 lights on backdrop.
22) Couple upstairs: Single speedlight with 60cm softbox
23) Ambient and speedlight on camera with Lumiquest Kwikbounce.
24) Just a BD on me (pic on left) but with sock. See (1) for pic on right.
25) Offset 4x3 softbox, Reflector under + to side. 2 rim lights + hairlight. 2 lights on backdrop.
26) Offset 4x3 softbox, reflector under. 2x hair / rim lights to side.
27) Speedlight bounced off wall.
28) Both ladies shot with just speedlight on camera.
29) Natural light
30) Close up shot - offset clam shell. Chef - too many lights to remember...!
31) Ambient / natural from across the street. Daylight + fluorescent. Homeless guy - natural light.
32) Clamshell with 2 rim lights
33) Pic on left: Gridded BD left, hairlight and coloured strip to right. Pic right: Clamshell
34) Natural ambient. Overexposed background due to daylight.
35) Kids shot: Both natural ambient.
36) Old man - natural light
37) Man: Key light - 30cm softbox / speedlight. Hairlight is ambient. Girl: Speedlight bounced off wall.
38) Offset speedlight with 30cm softbox. Speedlight for hair on girl in left pic.
39) Natural ambient
40) Offset clamshell
41) BD with grid to camera left. Strip light to camera right.

Most of the hairlights are gridded. Studio strobes are either Profoto, Bowens or Lencarta

Phew... that took longer than I thought... Hope it helps.

May 05, 2016 at 12:43 PM
FotoHouse
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Head shots

What I like to do with a lot of clients...is to ask them if they have an example or preview of a picture they feel interpret them best--something taken of them that they really like. From there, I ask them what they think their best side is and how they like to be posed for most of their shots when taking photos. Then, I gently advise them on what I think looks good and if they are interested in experimenting with some of those ideas. It usually works out well for me.

I think we can give you all the advice in the world about lighting and how to pose the talent, but it still wouldn't mean that results to a happy client. I've seen photogs with a lot worse skill still being able to have a strong turnaround w/ their clients. This has more to do with communication skills than technical skills. Hope this is solid advice.

May 05, 2016 at 01:14 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Head shots

Interestingly phycologists say that people tend to instinctively part their hair on their favoured side of the head - mostly...

I guess people who don't part or have it in the middle are quite happy with their face?

May 05, 2016 at 01:47 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Head shots

To help things along I'll explain my lighting for each page on the "people" section of my site...

Lee, thanks for posting these examples of how to light effectively. Everyone should take the time to go to your website and toggle back and forth between your photos and your strategies posted here. This is invaluable. Thanks again for doing it.

May 05, 2016 at 03:38 PM
HelloMrLocust

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Head shots

leethecam wrote:

Lee Christiansen Website

1) Offset 4x3 softbox, Reflector under and to side. 2 rim lights + hairlight. 2 lights on backdrop.
2) 30cm sq softbox / speedlight onlu balanced against ambient 1.5 stop under
3) Nearly clamshel with slightly offset BD and reflector. Hairlight and strip to camera right
4) 5ft Profoto XL white parabolic offset + offset hairlight. Ambient and 2 B1's on background.
5) Clamshell with BD
6) 30cm sq softbox / speedlight with speedlight hairlight on girl.
7) Suited man:
...Show more

Wow! Thank you so much for spending so much time on this.

One question. What is BD?

May 06, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Head shots

barndoors?

May 06, 2016 at 10:40 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Head shots

BD is Beauty Dish.

Page 33, pic on left with the old Bowens small silver (with a grid / diffuser combo).

Most beauty dish shots were done with a Profoto BD (now modified for better results).

May 06, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Emily Larson

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Head shots

Vcook wrote:
barndoors?

It can be this too.

May 06, 2016 at 01:25 PM
HelloMrLocust

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Head shots

I used a few suggestions for the next shot I did. For rhis one, I moved the strobes further back and I did a little softening on the skin. I used the dynamic skin softening filter provided in Nik software and painted it in on a lower opacity.

Thoughts?

May 11, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Head shots

Huge improvement! But I'm curious why you moved the strobes back? The physics of the situation are that the larger the light source relative to the subject (in this case, the closer it is), the softer the light. Moving it back makes it harder (which is why direct sun is the harshest light source there is).

May 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM
HelloMrLocust

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Head shots

Steve Wylie wrote:
Huge improvement! But I'm curious why you moved the strobes back? The physics of the situation are that the larger the light source relative to the subject (in this case, the closer it is), the softer the light. Moving it back makes it harder (which is why direct sun is the harshest light source there is).

lol. That's what I thought as well. I thought I remember someone suggesting that the strobes were too close. Maybe I misread it.

May 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Head shots

Are these photos used internally? How much time can you spend retouching?

Even though you used NIK's dynamic skin softener, I think you could go a lot further on the image you posted to help her out. Start with the bags under her eyes. These could be softened a lot more, either with NIK or with creating a new layer and doing some cloning.

Her chin looks pretty good but some of the neck wrinkles could be softened/removed.

Can you get Portrait Pro? Most of the examples I see are way over the top, but you can adjust the sliders to give a much more subtle look. Download the trial copy and use the image above to test it out. Show the results to your boss and see if he/she will spring for it. It's not that expensive.

May 11, 2016 at 01:18 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.