Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Can LR4 import JPEGS ONLY and ingnore the companion raw files?

Focus Locus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can LR4 import JPEGS ONLY and ingnore the companion raw files?

I'm in a conundrum.

I do not know how to get CR2 files out of a 1DX to look as smooth noise wise in LR 4.4 as the JPEGS that spew directly out of the 1DX. And based on thousands of dollars in books and seminars over the last decade that I wasted trying to comprehend training that was completely lost on me, I don't think I'm going to figure it out before these pics need to get done.

So I'd like to start over, and import only the JPEGS. How can I do that? How can I do that without also importing the raws, when the RAWs + JPEGS were shot on the same card, and are companioned one after the other?

There is a large amount of data (half a TB). I don't want to recopy it all if I can help it. Is there a way to tell LR to just import the JPEGS?

Additional details: It appears that LR 4.4 uses CR 7.4 on my Mac, according to the About page.

Checking the General Preferences box in LR that says "treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" doesn't work after the fact of importation, apparently. At the beginning of this project, I purposely did not check that box upon initial import, because I thought it would be better to use the raw file for the LR edits. After a few edits and comparisons, I realized that I don't know how to pull out the noise, and the SOOC jpegs look so much better than whatever mucking around I'm able to do in LR. Hence the need to start over with JPEGs only.

What if I tried to reimport the images from the same source file, and checked the box "do not import suspected duplicates", but also had the "treat jpeg files next to raw files as separate photos"? Would that populate my catalog with twice the photos, a jpeg and a raw?

IF that works out (it's cooking up previews right now), then can I use attributes to hide the raw files from my view, while I edit the jpegs?

Can I hide the raws in the Develop module? I was rejecting photos, and could figure out how to make the rejects disappear from the Develop module. I like to sequentially edit each photo using the arrow keys... and don't want to see the raws or the rejects as I do this, nor do I want to toggle back and forth to the Library. It seems like I can hide photos from view in the Library, but not in the Develop module?

May 01, 2016 at 06:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can LR4 import JPEGS ONLY and ingnore the companion raw files?

No I don't think you can in LR . But it's not exactly a difficult process to explore the contents of the card in explorer or finder and show only the Jpegs . Then you can copy/paste them to a folder on your computer and import them into LR from there . .

May 01, 2016 at 07:00 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can LR4 import JPEGS ONLY and ingnore the companion raw files?

IAN... every time I see your name crop up in response to one of my LR question posts, it is like seeing a cool glass of lemonaide in the middle of the hottest afternoon in Death Valley without a car, a cover, or a clue. Thanks, as always, for just showing up.

I do not know how to use Finder in the MAC to isolate files by extension or type.

What I have done since typing my question is check the treat JPEGS as separate files box, and then checked the do not reimport suspected duplicates box, and then pointed LR to the source folder and hit import, check all, and voila, my image count in the folder doubled, this time with all the JPEGS that were not hidden or set associated with the Raws on the original import.

Then, I selected all the images of the Previous Import (which were all JPEGS) and created a new Collection called "Original JPEGS". Now, I'm just going to work on that collection, and leave everything else alone.

Most jobs I do, a professional photo editor who knows what they are doing handles all the post for me, which explains how I haven't been obsoleted into oblivion yet. But once or twice a year, there is no one in the room and I'm left with the keys to a race car I don't know how to drive. This is one of those times.

I broke the job up in segments, so while this segment is resolved, I'm now wondering how to import the next two dozen segments. I don't think I want to import the raw files at all. I really should separate them in the source files at this point. The only program that I'm aware of that can do that is Photo Mechanic. But is it possible to do it in Mac's Finder?

May 01, 2016 at 07:22 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can LR4 import JPEGS ONLY and ingnore the companion raw files?

Hi Focus

I was actually going to suggest something like setting up a JPEG collection in LR . Id say to do it by using a SMART COLLECTION but I'm not sure LR4 has the smart collection feature . but doing it via a manual collection would work as well .
in fact you could also split your files up into a RAW folder and JPEG folder from within LR by filtering the Metadata .

in library grid view (has to be grid view so just hit G if your not already in grid view) .go to METADATA
https://photos.smugmug.com/FOR-FM-etc/FM/i-k4bMgpP/0/XL/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-02%20at%2008.37.59%20copy-XL.jpg

then you will have some column that you can filter by metadata with .
https://photos.smugmug.com/FOR-FM-etc/FM/i-3XcbNBT/0/XL/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-02%20at%2008.43.08-XL.png

if you hover your mouse over the right or left of each column you can chose options . on the right you can add or remove a column . on the left you can change what a column filters . you either want to add a column and the choose to filter FILE TYPE (2nd from top of the list) or just chose to change one of the existing columns .

the just click on the JPEG filter and the only images that will show in your grid will be the jpegs .
if thats as far as you need to go then fine , but you can also then select all those images and move them to another folder and or collection . personally Id have sub folders of my import folder (normally the shoot name or date) called RAW and JPEG .

now then if you don't want to import the RAW files at all here's how to filter them in FINDER you can sort by KIND
https://photos.smugmug.com/FOR-FM-etc/FM/i-Pd934N2/0/XL/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-02%20at%2009.00.34-XL.png

this will give you a list that starts with Jpegs and then goes onto the RAW files . I just click the first jpeg and then holding the shift key use the down arrow to sect the files I want until I get to the fist of the raw files . using the up arrow (still with the shift key held down ) deselects files if you've gone too far .

May 02, 2016 at 02:54 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can LR4 import JPEGS ONLY and ingnore the companion raw files?

OK heres something else I'll throw at you .
if you want just the jpegs for yourself and the raw files for someone else why not shoot to different cards in your 1DX ? or are you using the 2nd slot as a backup (writing to both cards at the same time)

there is a way of stripping out the embedded jpeg from a RAW file . the embedded jpeg is whats used to preview the image on the rear screen and also what is seen in LR before it builds its own preview . its a full res JPEG but is more compressed that shooting a FINE jpeg in camera . but to tell the truth I can't see any noticable difference when viewed on screen .

The program/ App is called INSTANT JPEG FROM RAW . its free and is available from Michael Tapes Design who is the guy the does Lens Align and Focus Tune .
http://michaeltapesdesign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html

warning he's quite slow at answering download requests

anyway when you install on you MAC/PC it adds a feature to your RIGHT CLICK list so you just select a bunch of RAW files in finder and right click and choose Instant Jpeg From Raw . you then get an option box come up to choose either full size or a smaller version (i only use the full size) and also where you want the files to go (along with RAW file or in a separate folder ) .
https://photos.smugmug.com/FOR-FM-etc/FM/i-qfh5G4j/0/O/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-02%20at%2009.20.37.png

its very quick . I did that card to show RAW and Jpegs (I don't shoot like that now) which had 526 raw files on from my 5D3 and it completed all of them in a little over 30 seconds . and that writing back to the CF card . if you do it on a folder thats on your hard drive its faster than that .

May 02, 2016 at 03:25 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.