Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Was thrilled to first hear and then see this pair . Light was not the best and the gray skies, well, they are what they are

As always your nits , crits , suggestions and comments are most appreciated.

Thank you for stopping in.

Hope you enjoy,

Birdie

Edited on May 01, 2016 at 05:53 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2016 at 03:48 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

A very close encounter for a first Birdie. Congrats on the find, and its one of my favorite woody species too. You also have shots of both the male and female, another commendable achievement.

May 01, 2016 at 04:00 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Congrats, Birdie! you did good. I like the pose in #4 best. To my eyes you left too much space behind the bird (which looks too close to the frame) in the first shot and on the top in the last one. I know that composition is a personal artistic decision. I, as a viewer, am just honestly expressing me feelings about the images
Socrate

May 01, 2016 at 04:31 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Herb Houghton wrote:
A very close encounter for a first Birdie. Congrats on the find, and its one of my favorite woody species too. You also have shots of both the male and female, another commendable achievement.

Thanks so much Herb ! I felt really blessed to see one let alone two.

Birdie

May 01, 2016 at 04:41 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Hi Roberta,

The OOF foliage could go in the first image. The second and last are a touch brighter than the Third and I'm liking them brighter. The detail is great in all and I'm quite fond of the last

Morris

May 01, 2016 at 04:44 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Shasoc wrote:
Congrats, Birdie! you did good. I like the pose in #4 best. To my eyes you left too much space behind the bird (which looks too close to the frame) in the first shot and on the top in the last one. I know that composition is a personal artistic decision. I, as a viewer, am just honestly expressing me feelings about the images
Socrate

Thanks Socrate ! I think I understand what you are referring to regarding the crops. I am always appreciative of others thoughts and ideas , so thank you, Is this better ?

Birdie

May 01, 2016 at 04:46 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Nice job to get BOTH the male and female...lucky?! I like the recrop on #4 better. Nice detail on them too! TFS

-Tree

May 01, 2016 at 05:07 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

birdied wrote:
Thanks Socrate ! I think I understand what you are referring to regarding the crops. I am always appreciative of others thoughts and ideas , so thank you, Is this better ?

Birdie

Almost! This is what I meant. I always try to put the POI (eye/head) around the 1/3rd of the frame and I crop out what I consider waist space YMMV

Edited on May 01, 2016 at 05:48 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2016 at 05:10 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Shasoc wrote:
Almost! This is what I meant. I always try to put the POI (eye/head) around the 1/3rd of the frame and I crop out what I consider waist space YMMV

Got it now , thanks ! I like what you did .

Birdie

May 01, 2016 at 05:45 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Congratulations on an awesome first Birdie, I've never seen one in person, very nice

-Tim

May 01, 2016 at 05:52 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

morris wrote:
Hi Roberta,

The OOF foliage could go in the first image. The second and last are a touch brighter than the Third and I'm liking them brighter. The detail is great in all and I'm quite fond of the last

Morris

Thanks so much Morris. Foliage is now gone

Birdie

May 01, 2016 at 05:54 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Huge congrats on getting the great pileated wp! I know how frustrating they can be as I've been chasing a pair around my yard for a couple of weeks now and haven't managed a single shot....so when you can get images as sweet as yours it must be thrilling....I do like Socrate's comp suggestion even though yours was certainly just fine as it was.
Eric

May 01, 2016 at 06:24 PM
cdn1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Great find and captures Birdie!

Don

May 01, 2016 at 06:29 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Woo-HOO! Awesome treat to SEE this pair, but to get wonderful photos too?? Incredible! Happy for you and happy to see them! And then of course, to have taken such beautifully detailed portraits is really fantastic.

For my preference, I might consider cropping # 2 a bit more. If the background added more tone or character / interest to the picture, I'd be fine with it as is. Unfortunately, the grey skies and exposing for the Pileated blew it out a bit much and in my opinion, in that shot, it does not add value.

I LOVE the fourth one! A totally unique pose highlighting that wild crest and giving you the eye. That one's a show-stopper in my opinion.

Congratulations and thanks for posting.

May 01, 2016 at 08:26 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

roberta, you have done it. superb shots. the last one for me.

May 01, 2016 at 09:16 PM
Warkari
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

What amazing shots, Birdie. A real treat.

- Amit

May 01, 2016 at 09:44 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Congrats on photographing a new species. The BG/light certainly didn't do you any favours, but the bird looks good. Nice set Birdie.

May 02, 2016 at 07:14 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

Congrats Birdie. This is a super set - first or not... A great job on the exposures too. I love the poses in 2 and 4 ~ Ron

May 02, 2016 at 07:34 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

very nice.
in our neck of the woods these critters are quite skittish.

David

May 02, 2016 at 07:47 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My First Pileated Woodpeckers - Edited

treebeard wrote:
Nice job to get BOTH the male and female...lucky?! I like the recrop on #4 better. Nice detail on them too! TFS

-Tree

Thanks Tree. Yes , I was very lucky that they both showed up in my backyard. First time I have ever seen them.

---------------------------------------------

tfoltz wrote:
Congratulations on an awesome first Birdie, I've never seen one in person, very nice

-Tim

Thanks so much Tim.

eyelaser wrote:
Huge congrats on getting the great pileated wp! I know how frustrating they can be as I've been chasing a pair around my yard for a couple of weeks now and haven't managed a single shot....so when you can get images as sweet as yours it must be thrilling....I do like Socrate's comp suggestion even though yours was certainly just fine as it was.
Eric

It was pure luck ! I hear them pecking away and the other birds getting a bit upset . Ran and got the camera and was so surprised they were fairly close and 2 of them !

cdn1 wrote:
Great find and captures Birdie!

Don

Thanks so much Don.

wonderer wrote:
Woo-HOO! Awesome treat to SEE this pair, but to get wonderful photos too?? Incredible! Happy for you and happy to see them! And then of course, to have taken such beautifully detailed portraits is really fantastic.

For my preference, I might consider cropping # 2 a bit more. If the background added more tone or character / interest to the picture, I'd be fine with it as is. Unfortunately, the grey skies and exposing for the Pileated blew it out a bit much and in my opinion, in that shot, it does not add value.

I LOVE the fourth one! A totally
...Show more

thanks so much ! Yep, the blown out sky is not so nice to look at . I do appreciate the suggestion on the crop, will definitely give it a go.

kdacharya wrote:
roberta, you have done it. superb shots. the last one for me.

KD, much appreciated, thank you.

Warkari wrote:
What amazing shots, Birdie. A real treat.

- Amit

Amit, thank you.

KCollett wrote:
Congrats on photographing a new species. The BG/light certainly didn't do you any favours, but the bird looks good. Nice set Birdie.

Thanks Ken.

surfnron wrote:
Congrats Birdie. This is a super set - first or not... A great job on the exposures too. I love the poses in 2 and 4 ~ Ron

Appreciate Ron. Where are the blue skies when you want one

dgdg wrote:
very nice.
in our neck of the woods these critters are quite skittish.

David

They are quite skittish here as well. I have heard them around the area , but never seen them . Very pleasantly surprised that they visited a couple of areas in my yard. They were quite high up , but still glad to see them.

Birdie

May 02, 2016 at 02:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.