Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Cheap handheld MF long tele for Nikon?

pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheap handheld MF long tele for Nikon?

OK so, by long I mean 400-500mm and cheap means $500 or less. I want it for shooting airplanes, animals, landscapes or taking a photo of a model from across a river. Maybe a little astrophotography as well. Max aperture 4-5. Either made by Nikon or another manufacturer. I think with the aperture of f4-5 and the subject far enough manual focusing should be easy.

It seems that 400mm f/5.6 AI-S is a good bet but I wanted to know if there are alternatives by other manufacturers.

May 01, 2016 at 08:32 AM
jbouchard
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheap handheld MF long tele for Nikon?

I think the 400/5.6 is the only one which fits our criteria. The 2nd least expensive option is what I have, the 400/3.5 ED-IF Ai-s. I paid $900 for mine and I thought it was a bargain at the time. That's over your price point, and it's hand holdable for short periods if you are young and strong. Everything beyond that (400/2.8 and 500/4) is heavier and generally more expensive. I just saw a 500/4P go for $900 on ebay... that was the starting price and only one bid. I almost bid, but decided with my 400 and TC14B I'm all set.

May 01, 2016 at 06:40 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheap handheld MF long tele for Nikon?

Yep, jbouchard got it right.
Anything other than the 400/5.6 ED-IF AI or AIS is not going to be nearly as good or if it is as good it's going to be much more expensive.

You should be able to get the 400/5.6 ED-IF for under $500 if you shop carefully and perhaps tolerate some superficial scrapes, etc.

May 01, 2016 at 06:44 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheap handheld MF long tele for Nikon?

pixlepeeper wrote:
OK so, by long I mean 400-500mm and cheap means $500 or less. I want it for shooting airplanes, animals, landscapes or taking a photo of a model from across a river. Maybe a little astrophotography as well. Max aperture 4-5. Either made by Nikon or another manufacturer. I think with the aperture of f4-5 and the subject far enough manual focusing should be easy.

It seems that 400mm f/5.6 AI-S is a good bet but I wanted to know if there are alternatives by other manufacturers.

If you've got a screw drive camera, then a 300mm f4.5 edif with a tc16a autofocusing teleconverter is quite the lens. 150 for the lens and 200ish for a tc16a modified to work on a modern nikon.

Edited on May 01, 2016 at 07:00 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2016 at 06:58 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheap handheld MF long tele for Nikon?

I think I bought a 300mm f/4 or f/4.5 manual lens from KEH that has worked just fine for the purpose, somewhere around...$200?

But it's definitely not 400-500mm.

May 01, 2016 at 06:59 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheap handheld MF long tele for Nikon?

jhinkey wrote:
Yep, jbouchard got it right.
Anything other than the 400/5.6 ED-IF AI or AIS is not going to be nearly as good or if it is as good it's going to be much more expensive.

You should be able to get the 400/5.6 ED-IF for under $500 if you shop carefully and perhaps tolerate some superficial scrapes, etc.

That lens is always overpriced on ebay. 300mm f/4.5 edif and teleconverter are way cheaper.

May 01, 2016 at 07:00 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheap handheld MF long tele for Nikon?

A 500mm nikkor reflex could be had for 300 on ebay if you're patient. You will absolutely want a tripod with this. This lens will work with 16a autofocusing tc if it is sunny out.

I just got a 1000mm nikkor reflex for 330 bucks but hasn't been sunny enough to shoot it yet. I doubt an autofocusing tc will work on this unless high noon and no clouds.

May 01, 2016 at 07:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.