New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

This entire XQD card thing has me a bit pissed, confused, and outright bewildered.

The D4 got thrown at us some time ago. What Nikon was thinking adding this XQD thing? I'll never know. I say this as the actual people inventing the format won't install or use this card type on their own releases... Ok, speed gimmick, lets see where it goes. And as pricey as the lone whore on shore leave.

(2 years on)

D4s -- by all accounts, the very best sports action DSLR made. $6500.00 + in point of fact. Nikon? Oh yea, they stayed with it. XQD in combo with a CF (try and get this write speeds to come close to matching.) All the while Lexar and Sony are still asking for 'first males born' for these memory cards. To say noting of the over priced readers.

ANOTHER 2 years on.

So Nikon goes full tilt with your choice or 2 CF or 2 XQD ( the latter being 300 clams more) and still after 5 years and on, neither Sony or Lexar are selling 'kits' or 'combo packs' for the D4s and D5's. Hell, you can barely get readers. And when you do, these dam prices are just way over the top.

I'm frustrated being here in Canada because everything is over-valued by our weak dollar. And, no matter how tiny something is... it's always 74.99 to ship here. It could be a book of matches -- $74.99.

This replacing memory is becoming a little old now.. I can either belly up to the bar and gather these little expensive buggers, or, shoot alone with CF as a single. (real peace of mind).

SORRY -- HAD TO RANT. Dog is dead, I have no cats, and no one else cares about me and my dam cameras.

Apr 30, 2016 at 01:29 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

As some call it in the Michigan UP, Shack Nasty's?

Apr 30, 2016 at 06:48 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

Wow, John. New to the XQD's but absolutely love 'em in my D500.
Purchasing a card amounts to a nice dinner out, grab a 6 and eat in.
Speed is worth every penny, card to PC/iMac in less than 1/2 the time.
Sturdy lil buggers as well, for me it'd be worth a drive across da border.
Just sayin'

Apr 30, 2016 at 07:13 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

XQD: from the D4 to D4s to D500.

it was a business expense and taken relatively slowly.

price has dropped substantially.

for me the cost to be the crash test dummy was sorta worth it. for some they will bleed to be
cutting edge. I consider XQD a minor cut.

avg cost for a reader was/is $30

---------------------------------------------------

why no D5?
- decided to stay on the (s) track
- running the D500 which, so far, is doing about 90% of my current needs.
- I do miss the D4s it is/was an outstanding but underutilized camera for me these days.
- my one negative statement on the D500 is a match for the D4/D4s: DUMP THE SD CARD!

----------------------------------------------------

I do understand your angst due to the CA/US valuations.

Apr 30, 2016 at 07:50 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

i am hoping the next iteration of the D800/810 has XQD cards to help write time and buffer

but as said, in canada, i have yet to even see one of these cards anywhere let alone what the canadian price for one would be

but i am lucky to live close the the US/CAN border so i'll just place an order, take advantage of the free US shipping and drive down to pick it up....and also fill my gas tank with gas that is significantly cheaper than up here

Apr 30, 2016 at 08:30 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

The sony xqd reader is really cheap. And the price drop likes crazy on xqd!Sent back my slower sd card and got faster 2933x xqd! Loving it, really fast transfer to the pc! The new af from the D5/D500 is just amazing!

Apr 30, 2016 at 08:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

I do believe with the D500 the threshold has been crossed. CF in the scheme of things Nikon is now EOL. from here on it should be XQD and SD UHS-II

I do remember: XQD? WHAT, ARE THEY ________* NUTS? from the mob.
*fill in the blank

I guess times changes things just a bit.

Edited on Apr 30, 2016 at 05:40 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2016 at 08:34 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

With my D4 since last summer, and I have yet to pick up some XQD cards. Too many other priorities seem to get in the way, but XQD is next on my list. As my rodeo event photography picks up, I find I cannot afford to have a card failure (which I have never had, but of course it could be possible).

Looking at current prices, they seem on par with the fastest CF cards now and the fastest CF cards cannot compare with the newest XQD card speeds. I say XQD is the way to go!!!

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

pretty much.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:17 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

you haven't seen the cost for CFast 2.0 for the 1dx mk ii then.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:07 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

Buy it from B&H if it is too pricey. Free shipping to Canada so you must be looking at the wrong websites if you can't find shipping cheaper than $75.

Dollar is getting stronger and BH has awesome cross border shipping where you pay taxes up front with purolator. Done and done.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

Bubble wrote:
you haven't seen the cost for CFast 2.0 for the 1dx mk ii then.

that too will drop once it really gets out in the wild.

CF2 is essentially an SSD in its design right down to the SATA port pattern.

just for ref (Wikipedia): CFast cards use a female 7-pin SATA data connector, and a female 17-pin power connector,[42] so an adaptor is required to connect CFast cards in place of standard SATA hard drives which use male connectors.

May 01, 2016 at 08:52 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

Nikon went to the XQD card so they could deliver 200 RAWs at 9-11 fps before the buffer filled. My first D4 (now up for sale) came with a XQD card and reader. Realize that the same things is happening to CF. Now we have CF fast.

The newest, fastest cards need new readers that won't read the old/slow XQDs-NOT convenient! Also some readers need drivers that need to be downloaded for some computers. All this is so Nikon can continue to deliver 200 RAWs and 20mP! with their D5.

The old Canon 1Dx was only good for 30 or so RAWs. Now with the CF fast the Canon 1Dx MKII does many more (although not 200). The D4/D4s/D5 is made for photographers addicted for fast FPS and long bursts. Many don't need this (I do) except for bragging rights.

This is just a continuation of card memory getting bigger faster. Remember when the Nikon D70 used a 1 Gig card and it was $100s of dollars?

May 01, 2016 at 11:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

the XQD memory spec is controlled by of all organizations the CFA or the CompactFlash Association. and has been sice it came out in the wild. it is considered a CF type card.

http://www.compactflash.org/

http://www.compactflash.org/assets/docs/cfapress/xqd2_0%20_140213%20.pdf

May 01, 2016 at 12:04 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

compare to xqd, the transfer speed of my sd extreme cf is so slow causing concerns if the cf card is about to fail. 😉

May 01, 2016 at 12:12 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

btw, inserted the new g-series v2.0 in my friend d4 and expecting an err message to display. surprisingly, no err appeared and camera worked his fine.

not sure why new xqd card is not backward compatible with old reader unless the latest fw for the d4 corect the compatibility issue.

May 01, 2016 at 12:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

oh, it is backwards compatible. its some of the readers. my older lexar XQD readers will read and transfer a G series card at approx 150MB/s vs the newer doing an avg speed of 240MB/s

May 01, 2016 at 12:29 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

Technology moves on.

Cheers,
Bernard

May 01, 2016 at 08:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

yes it does and will despite some of us

May 01, 2016 at 08:21 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The new D5, D4s, and going back to the D4

sjms wrote:
oh, it is backwards compatible. its some of the readers. my older lexar XQD readers will read and transfer a G series card at approx 150MB/s vs the newer doing an avg speed of 240MB/s

oh... good to know.. i thought someone had complaint on this thread of not having backward compatibility 😊

May 02, 2016 at 10:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.