New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

pitbullo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

Here is a real world test of the D5. Good video!!
http://youtu.be/a-mLPLYQzpk

Edit: had to edit my post. It really helps to have the keyboard in English on my iPad... Autocorrect...

Apr 30, 2016 at 01:26 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

He's still shilling t-shirts, producing crappy images for years, always pushing products with his brand and likeness... Hell, he still does 'opening box tests'..and SNIFF TESTS!

If not for the masses upon masses of people that sink 2K into body's they have no idea why and how they bought them, he'd be panhandling instead of producing singing fart videos on YouTube.

I'm glad some people see value there, I just get offended when people ask me to look at his info as informed and reliable.

Apr 30, 2016 at 01:38 AM
pitbullo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

Mr. Skinner, did you watch the video?
I am truly sorry to have offended you, it is not easy to take every personality in the world into consideration before posting. Perhaps just not click on a thread you know you won't like. The warning was in the title

I found the video quite informative. Lots of action shots at different ISO. It shows some of the potential of the camera, instead of the usual reviews where the person sits in front of the video camera and talk about the specs. Those videos are meaningless...

Apr 30, 2016 at 02:02 AM
pitbullo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

John Skinner wrote:
This dick is just that.. a dick.

He's still shilling t-shirts, producing crappy images for years, always pushing products with his brand and likeness... Hell, he still does 'opening box tests'..and SNIFF TESTS!

If not for the masses upon masses of people that sink 2K into body's they have no idea why and how they bought them, he'd be panhandling instead of producing singing fart videos on YouTube. I can't take too much of this jackass seriously.

I'm glad some people see value there, I just get offended when people ask me to look at his info as informed and reliable.

I have to write again, as my first post was a bit... defensive. I had no intention to offend you. And I have to agree, a bit, about him, I never liked his sniff tests and so on. Those are stupid and childish. But this video I found quite good as we follow him "at work" shooting soccer, and we can see how the camera works in the real world. He also shares raw-files. Not bad at all! He does talk constantly in the video, a bit annoying. I agree.

If "Jared Polin is a dick" is what you got out of this thread, that is a bit off topic, and may deserves a thread of its own.

Apr 30, 2016 at 02:33 AM
suhsin
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

I also found this video very informative.
I was particularly impressed when he pushed one of the ISO 10000 images for at least a good one stop, and yet the image, when zoomed out, looked very fine.
YMMV.

Apr 30, 2016 at 06:13 AM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

The most informative one on the D5 so far. Better than sitting and measurebating. He did a football one of the D750 a couple of years ago as well that was pretty informative.
Love him or hate him, he shows how it works and what to expect in similar circumstances with decent glass. As opposed to the other Dr. Nefario looking fellow that just pisses and moans and claims his personal biases as facts!

Apr 30, 2016 at 07:24 AM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

Some of us may not like his personalities or whatever, but he used right tools in a right situation, showing something that I haven't seen yet. D5 is not on my list, but this is the best video review for that camera so far.

Apr 30, 2016 at 07:43 AM
Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

Among the youtubers, his "real world" reviews are not bad. It's just some entertainment.

Apr 30, 2016 at 08:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

but soccer is such a slow sport to shoot.

he is demonstrating more restraint than usual I must say.

Edited on Apr 30, 2016 at 09:36 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2016 at 09:09 AM
gloman

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

John Skinner wrote:
This dick is just that.. a dick.

If not for the masses upon masses of people that sink 2K into body's they have no idea why and how they bought them, he'd be panhandling instead of producing singing fart videos on YouTube. I can't take too much of this jackass seriously.

The guy went through a fair amount of work to shoot, edit and post his opinion on the D5. Why is it necessary to attack him? Isn't calling him "a dick" offensive?
glo

Apr 30, 2016 at 09:16 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

gloman wrote:
The guy went through a fair amount of work to shoot, edit and post his opinion on the D5. Why is it necessary to attack him? Isn't calling him "a dick" offensive?
glo

Doesn't offend me. Should the PC police be called?

I'm sure Jared has plenty thick skin.

Apr 30, 2016 at 09:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

it is the web and it should be the Pompous A(xx) police. that being said we'd all go down on that count at least once

Apr 30, 2016 at 09:39 AM
jbonzo1
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

Diana Ross wants her wig back.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:02 AM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

John Skinner wrote:

If not for the masses upon masses of people that sink 2K into body's they have no idea why and how they bought them, he'd be panhandling instead of producing singing fart videos on YouTube.

Not sure why you edited out the part where you called him a dick in the very first sentence of your post. If you're going to be a poor human being, might as well do it loud and proud.

Every company you've ever bought something from was shilling something, what makes him any different? If not for the masses upon masses of people who buy expensive camera gear with no idea why or how to use them, the stuff you buy would either be way more expensive or not even exist, so I'm not quite sure why you're complaining about that.

With that said, I don't care for the guy but I get more out of some of his videos than other personalities on YouTube. At least he normally goes through actually using the product and takes you along (like in this video and many others) instead of just sitting at a table and talking about it.

I hope you're happy now, you made me defend Jared Polin. Ugh, thanks.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:34 AM
groob
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

Whether you enjoy his shtick or not, this is the first review where someone has truly tested the autofocus, which is the main upgrade for the camera.

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:03 AM
mp0363
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

that was a good usage review. i get a kick out of all these different personalities on youtube

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

And I like how he is actually honest about sharpness and keeper AF hit rate.
Most either trash cameras or exaggerate and say that their camera tracks af 100% of the time and that everything is tack sharp all the time.

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:32 PM
ICee
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

Love him or hate him this was a good test to give those of us that shot sports an idea of what its like.

I prefer this type of test to someone shooting test charts and saying it crap.

Apr 30, 2016 at 01:00 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

I think it's a fantastic look at the D5. A lot of his questions and concerns are what you and I would be asking.

Great review. Love the ability to download his raw files on a professional shoot is a nice touch. Not many would share that.

Apr 30, 2016 at 01:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D5 real world test - by Jared Polin

pitbullo wrote:
Mr. Skinner, did you watch the video?
I am truly sorry to have offended you, it is not easy to take every personality in the world into consideration before posting. Perhaps just not click on a thread you know you won't like. The warning was in the title

I found the video quite informative. Lots of action shots at different ISO. It shows some of the potential of the camera, instead of the usual reviews where the person sits in front of the video camera and talk about the specs. Those videos are meaningless...

Mr Skinner is a good shooter and person. its just that every now and then he doubles down on his expresso. it does have it affects. it happens to me sometimes with a Super Big Gulp Dr Pepper* .

*ref: https://www.7-eleven.com/Thirsty/Cold/Big-Gulp/

Apr 30, 2016 at 02:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.