Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

RSHPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

Hey guys,
My SB900 finally crapped out on me. Just wondering since the 910 is discontinued if it makes more sense to get the 5000.

Every review I read though says it's just a garbage speedlight. Yes it has performance, but its RF features require a lot of money in terms of adapters.

What's your thoughts?

Just an FYI. When I was shooting Canon, I had 3 600ex and they are simply phenominal. I don't think I ever misfired.

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:51 AM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

I think its more to do with Cost why people are complaining.

Since you're talking about one unit and not multiple. The 910 won't be a bad choice. Its just discontinued so they can sell the 5000. Not because it was horrible.

Apr 29, 2016 at 01:04 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

Right now. I use 2 SB800 and 1 SB900. But I was planning on replacing them with RF units. I thought the SB5000 would've been it, now I'm not so sure.

Apr 29, 2016 at 01:20 PM
rlcramer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

I actually started a similar thread a week or 2 ago when I was contemplating picking one up, and I read a lot of bad reviews and wanted to get the "FM Perspective." I agree with mrgetalife - the majority of the bad reviews are simply complaints about the cost and or the limited camera compatibility. I wound up buying one myself and I honestly really like it. Admittedly, right now, I'm only using it as a single speedlight on-camera, but the unit works well, recycles really quickly, is powerful and it actually feels a lot lighter than my SB910. In the future when I want to use it off camera or in a multi-flash setup, it will probably bother me A LOT that I can't do anything with the radio system on my D810, but by then, I'm hoping that they come out with a replacement for the SU800 that has radio control. But until then, it's probably not an ideal flash system to buy into unless you are shooting a D5 or D500.

Bobby

Apr 29, 2016 at 02:54 PM
Timothy OConn
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

To be honest I struggle with understanding exactly why we need to even bother with Nikons (or Canons) multi-flash setup.

Surely the vast majority of cases where we will use multi-flash setups will be in a studio setting. For the cost of one SB5000 and radio control unit I can buy 10 manual yongnuo flashes that have an excellent RF system built in. (Better yet I could probably get two or three Godox AB360's)

Obviously the value of automatic flash systems like i-ttl in situations where the distance to the subject is constantly changing, or there is some variability in the ambient light - how likely is that scenario with multiple flash setups?

Apr 29, 2016 at 04:46 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

RSHPhotography wrote:
Right now. I use 2 SB800 and 1 SB900. But I was planning on replacing them with RF units. I thought the SB5000 would've been it, now I'm not so sure.

Well if you're moving to the D5/500 series of stuff. The RF change will be nice. From what the rep was telling us in the launch parties is that the SB5000 will do both RF and IR. Most of the complaints i see are in order to get RF to work. You need the RF transmitter which is separate from the flash. Being Nikon. It's not cheap.

Much like how you went to the SB900. You dove into the unknown and OMG the price is so much higher!

Apr 29, 2016 at 04:55 PM
chatcher
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

Timothy OConn wrote:
To be honest I struggle with understanding exactly why we need to even bother with Nikons (or Canons) multi-flash setup...

I don't own the SB-5000, and don't currently plan to buy one. I am somewhat invested in the CLS system, with an SU-800, R1C1 with three SB-R200's, SB-910, and SB-600. It is a very slick system, no doubt, but your point is valid - it's more of a convenience than a need. It would have been a little different with film, where you have no immediate feedback of lighting and exposure. But with digital cameras, even shooting manual mode with manual flashes is practical in a studio setting. And with the continual increases in ISO, I find myself using flash less and less outside the studio. (Which probably speaks more to my laziness than a lack of need for fill light!)

May 02, 2016 at 06:57 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

Also look into the Metz flashes that are made in Germany and are ittl compatible with Nikon. They're cheaper than Nikons and more powerful. I don't know for sure that they do RF though. Look at the Metz website. I believe Nikon flashes are made in China, just like the Yoguonos and Nissins.

May 02, 2016 at 09:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

DaveOls wrote:
Also look into the Metz flashes that are made in Germany and are ittl compatible with Nikon. They're cheaper than Nikons and more powerful. I don't know for sure that they do RF though. Look at the Metz website. I believe Nikon flashes are made in China, just like the Yoguonos and Nissins.

I have found there is at times quite a difference between these 2 terms:
1- Made in China
2- Made in China

May 02, 2016 at 10:02 AM
Bryan Mordt
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

I am about to buy some new flashes and was thinking about these...

http://www.amazon.com/Pixel-X800N-PRO-Wireless-Speedlite/dp/B017E8JIVM/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1462202682&sr=1-3&keywords=Pixel+X800N+PRO+Flash+Speedlite

For the cost of one sb-5000 I could get 4 of the Pixel flashes and the transmitter.

May 02, 2016 at 10:29 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

I bought a Sirui graphite monopod a while ago that was made in China and it seems to be very high quality. They can make higher quality goods, but don't in everything.

May 02, 2016 at 05:49 PM
chatcher
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

In this marketing video at around 3:41, Keith Ladzinski attaches two SB-5000's to a multicopter to light rock climbers. It seemed to work.

May 03, 2016 at 10:03 AM
VTXT
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

Just get some used 910s and pocket wizards.

May 03, 2016 at 10:46 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

SB5000 isn't drastically more expensive than the SB900/910 were when new. If you're used to buying flagship speedlights, sticker shock has worn off by now I'm sure.

What do you use your speedlights for? Do you need the range of RF? Are you using a D5/D500? Are you just thinking about replacing all of your speedlights with SB5000s in preparation for having bodies to support them? Have you priced out getting your SB900 repaired?

In response to those mentioning third party lights and wireless systems, there are a ton and none are without fault (for the most part). I had a thread on the wedding forum recently about this same subject ( https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1423234 ). I'm optimistic about the Phottix Odin II transmitters, but I am doing my best not to be an early adopter.

May 03, 2016 at 10:58 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

I use SB-800's in tandem with Quantum Qflash units. All work with Nikon iTTL and I use the Quantum FreeXwire transmitters and receivers when I need RF at distances as the Quantum is 100% reliable for TTL at distances of over 300 feet.

With the Qflash I have portable units and can power two of them off one battery pack and I can use different reflectors or shoot bare bulb or use a portable collapsible soft box or an umbrella.

When I saw the problems and lack of flexibility with the SB-900 I bought the Qflash instead and could not be happier with their performance, reliability, and flexibility.

May 04, 2016 at 12:17 AM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon SB5000 Speedlight - Worth it?

I plan to get an SB5000 for the amazing recycle time but I agree that buying a D500 or D5 and an SB5000 and THEN needing two more parts to make wireless work is a bit nuts.

May 04, 2016 at 12:39 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.