New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Capitol Reef

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capitol Reef

Here are the last of my road trip images. The last night I arrived in Torray hoping to get a nice meal at a restaurant, the meal was lousy. The great clouds I saw in the east all the way up had dissipated. I was not able to find the pull out I wanted to use a camp site on the way in, but later found it.

I always go to the place for sunset, its named Sunset Point. Jim showed better versions of it in my earlier post. But I have the option to shoot it at 11mm which provides a unique view and I am showing it here. I think the traditional view, also shown is still the best. This could be a world class scene with some cloud drama.

The next morning I stopped at the parking area next to the Fremont River just before the Scenic road. I had always thought this scene would be great with morning sun on the castle, but at the time of year,. the sun is blocked, so this is what you get. I call it the castle, not sure that's right, but that's what it looks like to me.

Comments welcome even though I already know none of these are great images.

Sunset point at 11mm

Sunset point, a bit later and longer

The Castle at dawn

Apr 28, 2016 at 09:54 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capitol Reef

The second it my favorite. The canyon can be hard to shoot. Your new camera seems to be doing well allowing you to pull details out of the shadows.

Of course I like them all because they bring back memories. I know exactly where you stood for each shot.

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:55 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capitol Reef

Ben, am I picking up on a decent CCW lean in 1 and 2 or is that an optical illusion?

Jeff

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:20 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capitol Reef

Camperjim wrote:
The second it my favorite. The canyon can be hard to shoot. Your new camera seems to be doing well allowing you to pull details out of the shadows.

Of course I like them all because they bring back memories. I know exactly where you stood for each shot.

Same here on preference and the feeling of a familiar place Jim, and yes, this camera is able to pull up lots of detail, I have to watch to avoid an HDR look. These are all single images unblended.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Capitol Reef

beavens wrote:
Ben, am I picking up on a decent CCW lean in 1 and 2 or is that an optical illusion?

Jeff

I use a level and am pretty sure it is level, this is the incline of the landscape. Look at the distant mountain and you can get an idea of the slope here.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:08 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Capitol Reef

Another vote fr the tighter #2 image. There is so much going on n that shot and my eyes keep wandering around in it looking at all the details.

I think maybe a little D&B to draw the viewers attention where you want it might make it a little stronger.

I could/would spend weeks gently working on these shots. That 3rd image has a lot of potential I think but something just doesn't feel right about it just yet. If I get some free time I might try to play with that one to show you what I'm thinking. But then again, I'd probably just mangle an already nice image.

Beautiful set Ben!

Dave

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Capitol Reef

lighthound wrote:
Another vote fr the tighter #2 image. There is so much going on n that shot and my eyes keep wandering around in it looking at all the details.

I think maybe a little D&B to draw the viewers attention where you want it might make it a little stronger.

I could/would spend weeks gently working on these shots. That 3rd image has a lot of potential I think but something just doesn't feel right about it just yet. If I get some free time I might try to play with that one to show you what I'm thinking. But
...Show more

Thanks Dave and please do work on them and if you want a SOOC let me know.

Apr 28, 2016 at 04:27 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Capitol Reef

Here ya go Ben. This is somewhat close to where I was thinking. I may have punched it up a little too much for your taste. I have the advantage of not witnessing this scene in real life so I might have nudged things beyond what they really looked like to your eyes.

I mainly wanted to draw the viewers eyes down the river a little more and add a little more punch to those gorgeous cliffs with a little playing around with some D&B light manipulation.

Again, I think you have a great capture here and I think it might be worth your time to work with it a little further to your liking.

Dave

Ben's Castle

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Capitol Reef

Thanks Dave, this is a definite improvement over mine. It looks more like what I wanted to see. Some color in the sky and what appears to be alpin light on the castle.

Apr 30, 2016 at 02:10 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Capitol Reef

This is an addicting image Ben.

I had to play with it even more. I went with a softer look with a heavier "Dave pop".

What can I say, I'm hard up for some nice landscape images of my own.

Dave

Ben's Castle 2 softer

Apr 30, 2016 at 08:18 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Capitol Reef

I see where you are going here. This is sort of my backyard, if I make it look like this in photoshop, I will not have a reason to return for the real deal and we can't have that can we?

Feel free to work any of my images.

Apr 30, 2016 at 09:58 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Capitol Reef

Ha! This is true Ben! But like I said, I have the advantage of not seeing this with my own eyes and it gives me the freedom to play a little outside the box.

I soooo wish I had places like this in my backyard. I do have tons of nice waterfalls, Elk and Bear so that will have to do for now.

Thanks for letting me play a bit with your image Ben! I'm trying to get an understanding of what the NIK collection can do and this was a nice image to experiment with.

Now it's time to head out camping and hopefully come home with some nice bird and gator shots. Fingers crossed.

Dave

May 01, 2016 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.