FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              20      
       22              24       25       end

Archive 2016 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.21 #1 · p.21 #1 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

The two things the 1DX2 is good at are focusing f/8 combos (damn its good at this) and shooting higher ISOs (although the 1DX is just as good).

I took these today in light rain and about as poor as light as I shoot in unless in a forest. Sometimes I tried lower SS, other times I let the ISO go up. Here is a selection of both types of shots.

Aug 31, 2016 at 05:00 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.21 #2 · p.21 #2 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Belted Kingfisher....

Sep 02, 2016 at 06:39 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.21 #3 · p.21 #3 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Did everyone else sell off their camera??....

Sep 04, 2016 at 07:03 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.21 #4 · p.21 #4 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

I was out (basically in my back yard) yesterday fishing..
Heres a couple from that expedition. Some nice light and different views than I am used to from being landlocked!

Cheers

LuckyT

© LuckyStrike 2015

Herons at Pender Island

© LuckyStrike 2015

Fishing off South Pender Island

Edited on Sep 04, 2016 at 11:00 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:51 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.21 #5 · p.21 #5 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

1 more from yesterday

No plans on selling my 1DX2 .. but I have a 7D2 for sale.. low mileage (& driven gently by an old fella)

LuckyT

© LuckyStrike 2015

Herons off Pender Bluffs

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:53 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.21 #6 · p.21 #6 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Baby Woodchuck by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM ƒ/6.3 1/500 4000 ISO

Sep 05, 2016 at 04:50 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.21 #7 · p.21 #7 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

juvenile peregrine

Sep 05, 2016 at 08:54 AM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.21 #8 · p.21 #8 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Hi Herb!

Thats an incredible shot!!!!!

WOW.... LuckyT

Sep 06, 2016 at 11:21 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.21 #9 · p.21 #9 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

I'm liking what I see here and tempted to upgrade from the 1DX.

Does anyone have any issues with acquiring focus on BIF's at f/8 with the 1DXII?

More often than not the 1DX I, especially with the 400 DOII + 2X III, loses focus (to infinity) as soon as I press the focus button. This is even when I have the subject well within the center focus zone and the focus presets well within the range of the subject distance. Lots of pumping needed to acquire focus again. Using the 1.4xIII instead of the 2X I rarely have this problem.

This may be one of the deciding factors for upgrading for me.

Comments??

Db

Sep 06, 2016 at 04:31 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.21 #10 · p.21 #10 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Doctorbird wrote:
I'm liking what I see here and tempted to upgrade from the 1DX.

Does anyone have any issues with acquiring focus on BIF's at f/8 with the 1DXII?

More often than not the 1DX I, especially with the 400 DOII + 2X III, loses focus (to infinity) as soon as I press the focus button. This is even when I have the subject well within the center focus zone and the focus presets well within the range of the subject distance. Lots of pumping needed to acquire focus again. Using the 1.4xIII instead of the 2X I rarely have this
...Show more

The best thing about the 1DX2 so far is its f/8 AF. Not only the fact that you get all the AF modes and points but that it is so much faster and accurate at focusing with an f/8 combo. I've used it a lot with 100-400II +1.4TCIII, 600II + 2xTCIII and now just got the 400DOII and it works just as well with that at 800f/8.

I was hesitant buying it at first but so far I'm really liking the camera. The red AF points in Ai Servo are nice also. The high-ISO is about the same as 1DX. Shadows are cleaner. 14FPS sounds great!!

Sep 06, 2016 at 05:17 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.21 #11 · p.21 #11 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

arbitrage wrote:
The best thing about the 1DX2 so far is its f/8 AF. Not only the fact that you get all the AF modes and points but that it is so much faster and accurate at focusing with an f/8 combo. I've used it a lot with 100-400II +1.4TCIII, 600II + 2xTCIII and now just got the 400DOII and it works just as well with that at 800f/8.

I was hesitant buying it at first but so far I'm really liking the camera. The red AF points in Ai Servo are nice also. The high-ISO is about the same as 1DX. Shadows
...Show more

Geoff

Thanks for the reply. I'm almost ready to purchase the 1DX II (especially before the offer of the free card and reader ends) but was wondering whether any one had the issues with the 1DX Mark I as I described in my post. Presumably the Mark II doesn't suffer from them.

I agree the 400 DO II is a great piece of scientific and engineering feat. I already have a nice compact carry-on Think Tank bag for traveling with it.

Db

Sep 06, 2016 at 06:59 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.21 #12 · p.21 #12 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Doctorbird wrote:
Geoff

Thanks for the reply. I'm almost ready to purchase the 1DX II (especially before the offer of the free card and reader ends) but was wondering whether any one had the issues with the 1DX Mark I as I described in my post. Presumably the Mark II doesn't suffer from them.

I agree the 400 DO II is a great piece of scientific and engineering feat. I already have a nice compact carry-on Think Tank bag for traveling with it.

Db

I can give the 400DOII/2xTCIII a try on my 1DX. I still have the 1DX (keeping it around as a good backup for trips). I'll report back when I've given it a try.

And here are a few more 1DX2 images with the 400DO

Sep 06, 2016 at 07:05 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.21 #13 · p.21 #13 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Great stuff Geoff,

I'm about to hit the buy button on BH linked from this site so that Fred can also benefit. Looking forward to your comparison with the 1DX and 400DO II + 2xIII on BIF's

Db

Sep 06, 2016 at 07:41 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.21 #14 · p.21 #14 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Doctorbird wrote:
Great stuff Geoff,

I'm about to hit the buy button on BH linked from this site so that Fred can also benefit. Looking forward to your comparison with the 1DX and 400DO II + 2xIII on BIF's

Db

DB...

I did a quick back to back between 1DX and 1DX2 with the 400/2x. The 1DX does a lot of racking the focus back and forth as I moved between midrange and infinity (mountains) targets. It would never go straight to focus without at least one rack back and forth. Smaller targets would often result in jumping to the background but most of the time it was just a bit of a racking of the focus before it locked. I'm not sure if it is as bad as what you describe with it always racking out to infinity?

The 1DX2 is dramatically different, it never racked the focus at all and just locked in on each target basically instantly including the smaller ones set against the mountains. I'm still not sure if the 1DX2 is better at overall focusing with other lenses but with f/8 combos it is a significant improvement.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sep 06, 2016 at 07:43 PM
horobosu
• •
p.21 #15 · p.21 #15 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

I'm so close to pulling the trigger. I got a cps price of $6800 today and the camera store has 1 card/reader left.
One question for you guys, how does the 1DxII files hold up to heavy cropping?
Len

Sep 06, 2016 at 08:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.21 #16 · p.21 #16 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

horobosu wrote:
I'm so close to pulling the trigger. I got a cps price of $6800 today and the camera store has 1 card/reader left.
One question for you guys, how does the 1DxII files hold up to heavy cropping?
Len

It holds up fairly well with good lenses. Similar to the 1DX or other ~20MP FF cameras. I jumped on it earlier than I was going to just to get the free card and reader. That is like $400CDN so worth it. Plus the CPS price makes the camera less expensive than even the US price. And if you jump in now you've got till Japan 2020 before you'll be tempted by the next model

Here is one example...

Full frame

Cropped

Sep 06, 2016 at 09:35 PM
horobosu
• •
p.21 #17 · p.21 #17 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Thanks for the reply Geoff, the sample images have helped a lot.
I'm not going to sleep well tonight

Sep 06, 2016 at 10:24 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.21 #18 · p.21 #18 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

arbitrage wrote:
DB...

I did a quick back to back between 1DX and 1DX2 with the 400/2x. The 1DX does a lot of racking the focus back and forth as I moved between midrange and infinity (mountains) targets. It would never go straight to focus without at least one rack back and forth. Smaller targets would often result in jumping to the background but most of the time it was just a bit of a racking of the focus before it locked. I'm not sure if it is as bad as what you describe with it always racking out to infinity?

The 1DX2 is
...Show more

Thanks again Geoff,

My issue was with shooting BIF's, say smallish Terns with their flapping wings about 50 - 100 ft away. I found very few issues with stationary subjects, but will see if I can replicate your observations with the Mark I.

My Mark II is due on Friday and plan to take her out on a date on Sat. Hope she's fun.

Db

Sep 06, 2016 at 10:48 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.21 #19 · p.21 #19 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

more peregrines....

Sep 10, 2016 at 07:23 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.21 #20 · p.21 #20 · Canon 1Dx Mark II image thread

Sweet, though i see you experience the same trouble as me when a bird is approaching. Sharp wings and body but OOF head. I wonder if it's possible to assign a button to perform AF MFA temporarily for shots like these.

Sep 10, 2016 at 08:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.