New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Autopano Giga vs PTGui for landscape panos

xoda
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Autopano Giga vs PTGui for landscape panos

I’m currently trying to decide between getting Autopano Giga and PTGui for my panoramas.

I tried both with some simple panorama and they both seem to work relatively well.

I just shoot panoramas of landscapes. Never any of those 360*180 degree virtual reality shots. However, I am thinking of doing more gigapixel images with a telephoto lens (I already got a pano head specifically for this).

So given my situation, do you guys recommend one option over the other? What are their relative pro’s and con's?

Apr 27, 2016 at 05:11 PM
adamx12m
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Autopano Giga vs PTGui for landscape panos

I think Autopano is easier to use and produces a better image imo. The control points editing are by far superior to control between images than ptgui. Matching up specific points or comparing a selected area between images is very powerful with autopano, ptgui as far as I could figure is point by point. Autopano also calculates the quality of stitch points and you delete as necessary to imporve stitching. Masking could go both ways, ptgui uses a paint method vs autopano is a little vague with just stamping points on various areas. Masking is tough to compare, anything with moving images like people in a crowd will be a challenge. Cropping on ptgui is stupid, autopano wins here with easily selecting the image and setting rotation values. The autopano interface is much more refined, ptgui is just littered with windows and a bit clumsy. Both have features to controlling exposure, blending, the one thing I've learned is never crop images or level images prior to importing for better stitching.

Someone is going to say microsoft ICE, I think it has some creative functions but no where near the stitching features of autopano or ptgui. But it's free so who cares. I'm somewhat a novice with ptgui it's not too difficult to figure out it's quirks, while I'ved used autopano used for 2+ years. Quality of images will play a huge role and overlap with either. I rarely use a tripod although I would going beyond 200mm.

Autopano, 14 images, 1dx, 24-70ii, iso 12800, 1/1000, duh wasn't paying attention
Last week at the ESPN Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Worlds Cheer competition. Lady in bottom left turned her head, masking saved me.

Same files with ptgui, bit more distorted for some reason so I'm still trying to figure it out why.

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:38 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Autopano Giga vs PTGui for landscape panos

In those two pictures it seems that the two programs have done different corrections of volumetric deformation. Aside from differences in the masking and joining of images, the Autopano image has left the closer people with wider-looking heads. This is the sort of thing that I would have tried using DxO ViewPoint to correct after creating the pano but it seems that PTGui has already done it.

Also, given the relatively large part of the final picture occupied by the people who are close to camera, it was not necessarily a bad thing to raise the ISO and increase shutter speed to reduce subject motion. I wonder how the programs would cope with a change of ISO/noise/shutter speed for the top half of the image to give a cleaner sky and background; stitching might have been affected and there might have been an untidy transition. I must try it some day.

- Alan

Apr 30, 2016 at 07:56 AM
adamx12m
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Autopano Giga vs PTGui for landscape panos

Alan321 wrote:
In those two pictures it seems that the two programs have done different corrections of volumetric deformation. Aside from differences in the masking and joining of images, the Autopano image has left the closer people with wider-looking heads. This is the sort of thing that I would have tried using DxO ViewPoint to correct after creating the pano but it seems that PTGui has already done it.

Also, given the relatively large part of the final picture occupied by the people who are close to camera, it was not necessarily a bad thing to raise the ISO and increase shutter speed
...Show more

So all the images were shot in portrait mode, RAW, and processed in Lightroom first including lens correction. So you try to match exposure across the images but both programs have some ability blend exposure across frames also. I've seen issues before stitching dark skies with stadium lights on a football field trying to get exposure matched across images. A little post processing in photoshop after could clean that up I suppose. I was just goofing around when I shot these but it's a good example of dealing with moving objects, ghosting, and working with masking to make a clean pano image. By the way the final output was 11000 x 4573.

Apr 30, 2016 at 01:28 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.