Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

redman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

Attached are 3 rather mundane shots from the D500 from last night's Mayor's Cup game between MS State and Ole Miss. The lighting in this park is decent. Not great. These shots are at ISO 6400 1/1250 f2.8. I 'm using an older 400 f2.8 AFS lens that's not the sharpest wide open. I think these look pretty good. Shot Raw and converted with LR. Some minor Sharpening and NR applied.

I know most of you Nikon Sports Shooters are curious about this body. I have shot a good bit with the Canon 7D MKII and this body is at least as good if not better at high ISO in real world application. AF is (I believe) as good as a Pro Body D3,D4 etc. 10 fps is plenty for me. I didn't miss any frames. I usually shoot with a D4 and I wn't have any issues switching to this body for most Sports Events.

Apr 27, 2016 at 04:54 PM
redman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

BTW...All these images are shot through the protective screen behind home plate.

Apr 27, 2016 at 04:55 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

Thanks for posting these! My D500 arrives tomorrow and I am curious how it compares to my D4 as well. I have a Sigma 120-300 Sport that I want to see on it as compared to my D4 + 400 AFS II. With my D4 I shoot up to ISO 12800 at the HS fields here, but a lot at 6400 as well.

Apr 27, 2016 at 05:47 PM
phototoronto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

I don't think it's fair to judge the camera by those images. The players look like they are made out of wax so there was a LOT of noise reduction (either in camera or post) done to those images.

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

phototoronto wrote:
I don't think it's fair to judge the camera by those images. The players look like they are made out of wax so there was a LOT of noise reduction (either in camera or post) done to those images.

yes, I was going to say my five year 60D looks a lot better at ISO 6400 until I saw it was shot behind a protective screen

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:04 PM
redman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

phototoronto wrote:

As I stated above. I converted the Raw files in LR. I used some NR but really aggressive.

Here's the original converted with a crop and NO NR or sharpening applied.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:20 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

Just curious -- how did you find the AFS on the D500. I have a D5 - and as much as I enjoy the better high ISO performance, it's the dramatic improvement in AFS from my D3S that has been the true day-to-day difference maker for me. The 2 cameras have the same AFS, I believe.

Apr 28, 2016 at 01:20 PM
SFIND

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

Thanks for posting these redman.

I'm attributing the softness in 2 & 3 to shooting through the glass in addition it NR. Certainly worthy of downsized web display and newsprint, my two main uses. I look forward to adding this camera in the future.

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:34 PM
redman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

PureMichigan wrote:
Just curious -- how did you find the AFS on the D500. I have a D5 - and as much as I enjoy the better high ISO performance, it's the dramatic improvement in AFS from my D3S that has been the true day-to-day difference maker for me. The 2 cameras have the same AFS, I believe.

Pretty Snappy. If it doesn't track as well as my D4, it's certainly very close.

Apr 28, 2016 at 09:16 PM
phototoronto

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 High ISO SEC Baseball

Apologies.. didn't realize you were shooting trough a screen. At iso6400 it's definitely usable for web use. Thanks for posting these.

Apr 29, 2016 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.