Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-80d-review

Apr 27, 2016 at 04:10 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

Thanks for posting. Not much new since they'd posted the DR tests a while ago. I did notice how often they felt the need to repeat that while DR improvements were welcome and all, and probably now indistinguishable in reality from other cameras, that Canon was not really up to snuff yet.

Having my 80D for a few weeks now I can say that its a really nice body just as my 70D was. I love the way it handles my 100-400 2 with 1.4x3. I've played with the shadows and its an incremental improvement. Better, yes but there is still noise. My 5D3 images are still better even if the 80D's base ISO DR is wider. I suspect this would be true if I played with with the hallowed Sony sensors. Not the magic bullet that cures all ills. Ya still have to think about the pictures you are taking.

Apr 27, 2016 at 07:35 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

I've been shooting video on dim stages with high contrast lighting and, yes, both movie servo AF and video quality are a big improvement over the 70D. Video quality looks smoother and more film-like and not over sharpened like the 70D. Still image quality isn't nearly as obvious unless you're into digging out the shadows.

Apr 27, 2016 at 08:04 PM
tonychen
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

The AF test results are terrible from DPR. I believe 80D should do better in reality.

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Thanks for posting. Not much new since they'd posted the DR tests a while ago. I did notice how often they felt the need to repeat that while DR improvements were welcome and all, and probably now indistinguishable in reality from other cameras, that Canon was not really up to snuff yet.

Having my 80D for a few weeks now I can say that its a really nice body just as my 70D was. I love the way it handles my 100-400 2 with 1.4x3. I've played with the shadows and its an incremental improvement. Better, yes but there is
...Show more

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:37 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

The days of DPR reviews holding any weight amongst the more serious part of the photographic community are long gone.
The obsession displayed by its editors with mirrorless and the Sony brand is so obvious as to be disrespectful to the wider group of photographers smart enough to not use either.
It's been pretty sad to watch DPR slide into a tech head driven cave with write ups by people mire interested in tests and graphs than photography.
It's a sign of the times...

Apr 28, 2016 at 01:40 AM
rdcny
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

IMO DPR does a good job on their reviews. I read them for info on equipment I might purchase...the Sony a6300 and Canon 5Ds/r reviews pointed out strengths and weaknesses of both camera bodies...

Apr 28, 2016 at 01:48 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

For a couple years Amazon used DPR as a storefront for their camera gear. I even bought a few items from DPR since the initial discounts were great, but sales flopped and they've gone back to writing reviews. I've never found their style of reviewing very useful for me but people sure love debating one another on their forums.

Edited on Apr 28, 2016 at 02:47 AM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2016 at 02:41 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

rdcny wrote:
IMO DPR does a good job on their reviews. I read them for info on equipment I might purchase...the Sony a6300 and Canon 5Ds/r reviews pointed out strengths and weaknesses of both camera bodies...

+1, camera technology is always evolving to meet the challenge needs of all applications and in this case (like others) DPR does a very good job on their product non-bias reviews for most consumers.

Apr 28, 2016 at 02:41 AM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

it's a good resource for controlled studio image comparisons, and pushing 5-6 stop tools and see what you get. Their real life images are another matter, not very inspiring. For seeing what a gear can do in real life, I come to FM forum to see what images people here can get, and most often I'm very impressed. Technique really matters much more than slight differences between two sets of good gear.

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:12 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

JaimitoFrog wrote:
it's a good resource for controlled studio image comparisons, and pushing 5-6 stop tools and see what you get. Their real life images are another matter, not very inspiring. For seeing what a gear can do in real life, I come to FM forum to see what images people here can get, and most often I'm very impressed. Technique really matters much more than slight differences between two sets of good gear.

Yes, the controlled studio testing has its value but sometimes it has little relation to results in real photographic practice. Unlike some others here I don't think DPR is biased, every editor has their own preferences but they do a pretty good job. Also, DPR looks in depth at some more technical issues that are totally missed (or deliberately ignored) by some other sites.

Of course, looking at what very experienced photographers can do with a camera isn't very representative either (especially if they are very good at PP).

It's the same as with lens testing, you have the MTF/Imatest/Lens Rentals results, more practical testing with sample images (like from lenstip and photozone) and just watching images from some of the best photographers that use the gear. They all have their value, you just have to learn what the limitations of those tests are.

Apr 28, 2016 at 04:44 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

tonychen wrote:
The AF test results are terrible from DPR. I believe 80D should do better in reality.

Yes, that's a bit worrying especially the tracking sounds worse than it should be at this price level. Maybe it takes time to make the best of the new AF system? Also, after a few early comments hyping the 80D AF here on FM, I haven't seen very much AF evaluation but maybe I missed some threads.

Apr 28, 2016 at 04:47 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

* If you need the highest imaging sensor pixel density available from Canon today, in fact 20% higher than 5Ds/R, in a reasonably well operable body, I believe 80D is the ticket.
* I also believe on stationary and slow moving targets, AF will do just fine.
Servo AF/tracking is probably lame, and done so on purpose in order to maintain performance "distance" between different models.
* The articulated touch screen is a great feature.
* I guess up to and including ISO 1600, the noise levels are good. At ISO 3200, things just start to unravel.

There you have it: 80D evaluation without even seeing the damn camera.

Apr 28, 2016 at 05:06 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

PetKal wrote:
* If you need the highest imaging sensor pixel density available from Canon today, in fact 20% higher than 5Ds/R, in a reasonably well operable body, I believe 80D is the ticket.
* I also believe on stationary and slow moving targets, AF will do just fine.
Servo AF/tracking is probably lame, and done so on purpose in order to maintain performance "distance" between different models.
* The articulated touch screen is a great feature.
* I guess up to and including ISO 1600, the noise levels are good. At ISO 3200, things just start to unravel.

There you have it: 80D evaluation
...Show more

Agree with all points, I'm just thinking the D500 is better value for money despite its much higher price and should be a great camera for many years (great sensor, top AF, very fast, lots of extra features, what more could you wish for?). If all those extras mean better pictures I'm not sure, but peace of mind has its value too ;-)

Apr 28, 2016 at 06:33 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

As others have said I like the studio scene comparison tool. Other than that DPR is mostly good for a laugh especially when they try to test AF.

Apr 28, 2016 at 06:41 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

ggreene wrote:
As others have said I like the studio scene comparison tool. Other than that DPR is mostly good for a laugh especially when they try to test AF.

The new studio scene comparisons are now made correct in the sense that they ensure the same exposure (aperture and shutter speed), not only the same nominal ISO. Previously, cameras that overstated the ISO would show as better in the comparisons. DPR really have improved on some details that make their tools more reliable. The possibility to view the comparisons at normalized resolution in addition to native resolution, is also a good thing.

Apr 28, 2016 at 06:50 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

tonychen wrote:

I do too. I wonder what lens they were using. Bryan Carnathian did better with a 200 f2.8 and the Camera Store review did better with a 100-400 II. Both noted that it had trouble in mixed background environments. I photographed my dogs coursing with my 70D and it did pretty well. I would expect my 80D to do at least the same. For my dogs, I can use the center group of focus points. If my photography were more focused on action I would have gone for the 7D2 which uses exposure as well as edges to follow a target. For my use, other features took precedent over the 7D2's obvious AF advantage.

I am disappointed that the 80D doesn't have use cases like the 5D3 or 7D2. I haven't set my 80D up for AI focus yet but I'll probably just match the individual settings from my 5D3 use cases and save these in one of the custom functions.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

technic wrote:
Yes, the controlled studio testing has its value but sometimes it has little relation to results in real photographic practice. Unlike some others here I don't think DPR is biased, every editor has their own preferences but they do a pretty good job. Also, DPR looks in depth at some more technical issues that are totally missed (or deliberately ignored) by some other sites.

Of course, looking at what very experienced photographers can do with a camera isn't very representative either (especially if they are very good at PP).

It's the same as with lens testing, you have the MTF/Imatest/Lens Rentals results,
...Show more

That's the key...don't rely on only 1 test. Take in all the different reviews to get a better overall feel for equipment.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:55 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

Those AF tests were brutal. A slow moving biker riding in an even slower "S" curve, there was maybe 2 of the ~16 frames I would call sharp. I would like to think the camera does better than that, especially with the 70-200/2.8 IS II they used. That being said they don't say what settings they used though I don't think, it may not have been set up ideally. For the average buyer of the 80D though I really don't think it will be an issue at all. The 7D2 is hardly any more money if you want a step up in responsiveness.

Their reviews are overall pretty good, but they are sometimes quite sloppy with spelling errors, incorrect information, and details (people usually correct them in the comments). I also usually find their "real world sample photos" to be pretty underwhelming. At least you can conveniently download the JPEG/RAW to come to your own conclusion though. Their silver/gold rating system is a joke, and they have a suspicious overwhelming preference and urgency to review anything that says Sony on it. I find their comparison tools useful, but I don't put much weight in any of their opinions or conclusions. It's just one of many sites I visit if making a purchase decision. They don't even bother reviewing some of the most popular cameras, so often times you have to look elsewhere anyways.

Their forums are so bad (both in function and content) that I don't even go there unless I am linked to a specific thread, or searching for something very specific. The ratio of garbage to useful contributors is honestly 100 to 1, if not worse. I've said it many times before, looking at that forum is what makes me thankful for a place like FM.

Apr 28, 2016 at 02:54 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

CanadaMark wrote:
Their forums are so bad (both in function and content) that I don't even go there unless I am linked to a specific thread, or searching for something very specific. The ratio of garbage to useful contributors is honestly 100 to 1, if not worse. I've said it many times before, looking at that forum is what makes me thankful for a place like FM.

I used to read the forums for entertainment but it's fairly mundane now. The comments section for DPR articles though is pure comedy gold. Especially when Rishi weighs in.

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:48 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DPREVIEW : Canon EOS 80D Review

ggreene wrote:
I used to read the forums for entertainment but it's fairly mundane now. The comments section for DPR articles though is pure comedy gold. Especially when Rishi weighs in.

I would have to agree, the forums aren't very interesting anymore. Nearly every post is one of about 5 things:

1) A question that can be googled and answered in under 10 seconds
2) A question/topic that has been discussed already a million times, still often residing on the first page, and the person does not want to search either with their eyes or the search function
3) Brand bashing / purchase validation (to the extreme)
4) "I love my (insert piece of gear here)" accompanied by barely usable photos or every time something new comes out, "my (insert old piece of gear here) still take pictures" as if it was news that a 2 year old camera was still usable.
5) Rumor/myth perpetuation

Moderation is completely non-existent with regard to obvious trolling, personal attacks, etc. but if moderation (or the lack of) is discussed whatsoever, the post is removed within minutes.

Probably more I'm forgetting haha. Sorry I'm feeling a bit bitter today

The comments under news articles are more entertaining these days, as you point out. I don't have much faith in the DPR staff themselves either.

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.