Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

pmartin4665
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Greetings:

A nice April morning to shoot soccer - sunny enough that I even got a little sunburn on my face!

I welcome any C&C on these photos . . .

Thanks in advance!
Paul

© pmartin4665 2016

#1 - Slowing progress towards goal

© pmartin4665 2016

#2 - Attempt on goal

© pmartin4665 2016

#3 - Traffic ahead

© pmartin4665 2016

#4 - Momentum

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:40 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Best action is #2, try for a tad bit earlier, it's all about timing.
In general they are fine, although given the light I would have increased the SS to 1600. Which version 1.4x are you using?

#1 - elim half player on left - distracting. A bit over exposed.
#2 - see earlier comments, exposure a hair too high, IMO.
#3 - action not at peak, crop is a bit tight top & bottom.
#4 - how much of a crop here? It has the tell-tale sign of softness brought on by the added TC plus heavy crop

Matt

Apr 27, 2016 at 06:40 PM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Matt:

Thanks for the reply!

I have the 1.4x II. I'll keep your advice for the increased shutter speed . . . I'm experimenting with the Manual setting so it will take some time for me to acclimate to the proper settings.

The only processing I used was in LR CC using the Auto Tone for tone control. I was pretty happy with the color/tone of the RAW files but figured for posting to a webpage it would be better to click the Auto Tone.

I cropped quite a bit to isolate the player (I actually heeded your advice from #1 & #2 without you knowing it!) .

I shot a series the following day (overcast late afternoon on natural vs. artificial turf) and used the 300mm f/2.8 without the 1.4x; I normally position myself outside the 18 yd penalty area of the goal, shooting from a seated position so my action shots are limited to midfield unless I heavily crop an image.

© pmartin4665 2016

No crop

Apr 27, 2016 at 07:05 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

If you could resize these to somewhere around 900px on the long side, it would make viewing and critiquing a bit easier, especially so for us with smaller monitors.

Apr 27, 2016 at 07:20 PM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Reduced pixel size . . . sorry about that!

© pmartin4665 2016

Apr 27, 2016 at 07:31 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Raw files require PP, including sharpening. Try setting up a preset with the following: Amount 40, Radius 1.1, Details 76, Masking 76. Word of caution, Auto-tone does not consistently do the right thing. As far as setting the 1DX in manual its relatively easy. For daytime I suggest: SS 1/1600, Ap 4.0 and AutoISO. If mid-day sunny you should increase the SS. Be aware, on artificial turf you will get heat waves that can destroy an otherwise good shot. A closer look does reveal waves were present. Probably not maxed yet, given time of day. Sometimes there's no choice but to get off your butt so not to shoot through the thickest part of the waves.

Last thing, if you haven't checked your rig for front/back focusing you should and if off, micro adjust. Easiest way is to do the Dot-Tune method.

Matt

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:25 PM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Matt,

Thank you for the detailed input - I will give it a shot! Great advice for shooting on artificial turf . . . not too many matches around my area played on it so I'll now know, in the future, what to adjust for when I do photograph an artificial turf match.

I'll also look into the front/back focusing via the Dot-Tune method . . .

Thanks again and have a great day!

Paul

Apr 28, 2016 at 06:13 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

I see some areas of blown out skin tones in the first three shots. I shot girls' soccer and found it so important to get the players looking as good as possible. Decreasing the exposure means a faster shutter speed which is all to the good in soccer. It may mean you could also bring the iso down to 100--depends on the resulting shutter speed. With Nikon cameras, you can set the manual exposure but allow auto iso to deal with changes in light. Not sure how Canon works. If you consult your blinkies screen and the rgb histogram, you will see if you are blowing the skin tones. I found it always good to arrive early to establish my settings ahead of time.

There is an unusual texture in the background especially in the first shot. Maybe due to the heat waves but could also be your cropping and processing. It might be good to see #1 as it was out of camera so we can see what is image and what is post processing. Cropping is often necessary in soccer but it is not advisable if it causes the image quality to be decreased too far.

I like the moment you have chosen. The action looks good to me. Well isolated action moments. Players determined with ball in the frame. Not too tight.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:22 PM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Thanks for the feedback Brev00, I really appreciate it! I use the auto-ISO feature on both my Canon 1Dx bodies . . . it sounds identical to the feature on your Nikon. It was mentioned that the texture was from heatwaves, especially due to the artificial turf. I can PM you with more info if you'd like.

I'm wrapping up my photo management from a tournament match this evening and then its off to bed! Another match to photograph tomorrow and then one on Sunday. Chicagoland weather forecast is for rain and then more rain so we will see how the photos turn out. Wet & cold isn't my idea of a fun weekend!

Thanks again!
Paul

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:30 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Don't let the weather get you down. I got some of my fave soccer shots in misty or muddy conditions. What you may lose in shutter speed you can gain in grit and mood. Or not. Anyway, hope you can post some from the games.

Apr 30, 2016 at 08:13 AM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Rain . . . rain . . . rain

Just a quick example of yesterday's match (043016) from the Sockers FC-Chicago NIKE Classic Cup Spring 2016 . . . a wet mess!

We will see what the weather has in store for us today.

© pmartin4665 2016

May 01, 2016 at 08:53 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Soccer tournaments and RAIN, they always seem to coincide

Good action

see your PM

May 01, 2016 at 09:51 AM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Added a few more tweaks . . . I'm also including a version that I edited in Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 software. The only changes made within DPP4 was selecting <Picture Style> Fine Detail (vs Auto) and selecting <Auto> under Gamma adjustment. The DPP4 software makes the images appear clear & refined vs appearing pixelated when viewed up close in LR CC or On1 Photo 10

Please let me know if you can tell a difference.

So the weather outcome was an extremely wet, cold and delayed soccer match that my son's team lost 0-1. The next day was overcast and cold but no rain (yes!!!). They won their match 3-0 vs a top-ranked team and then proceeded to the playoffs where they lost 0-1 to a local team (vs. out-of-state).

Lots of photos to weed through and I hope to post a few "choice" ones

edited in LR

edited in DPP4

May 02, 2016 at 04:53 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

I find it hard to compare up and down like this but the red shirt is obviously different with a lighter look in the midsection in the DPP4. I don't know which is more realistic but I slightly prefer the Dpp4--nicer flesh tones in the boy on the right. A little warmer.

May 02, 2016 at 06:10 PM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Thanks for the feedback - I'll try and figure a way to post them side-by-side

May 02, 2016 at 06:12 PM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Here are some more rainy day photographs from the soccer match on Saturday. Images have PP in LR CC using recommendations by Schlotz (thanks!!!) and cropped in PS CC.

Slide tackle

Shot on goal

Pursuit

Quick sidestep

Edited on May 03, 2016 at 10:21 PM · View previous versions

May 02, 2016 at 07:03 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Always good to number your photos Paul, it helps others refer to them when providing feedback. Also, try to limit the long edge to under 1000 pixels so viewers don't have to scroll around to see the entire photo.

1 - appears to be OOF?
2 - action ok, not peak. Chopped of body part (arm), a bit too tight on bottom and top.
3 - action again ok, still a bit tight bottom and top
4 - maybe the best from an action perspective, but really could use some more PP including NR.

How much cropping was done in #4? It's not as sharp as I would expect.
Have you gone through the testing to verify if the rig is either front or back focusing?

Matt

May 02, 2016 at 10:04 PM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

Hi Matt,

1. The photo was 3/4 length of the field (I was outside the 18 yd. line at the opposite goal) so this photo is greatly cropped and slightly OOF - I have a series from the slide tackle and this was the best

2. This photo was up close, hence I lost part of the player's arm attempting to frame the shot. I decided to only pull out my 300mm f/2.8 and leave the others behind since it was a torrential downpour.

3. Similar to photo 2 on distance so very little crop needed.

4. Midfield so moderate cropping . . . I'll tweak the PP, including NR (attached is the original)

Thank you!
Paul

May 02, 2016 at 10:14 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

pics look too large on my monitor -- but nice actions shots

May 03, 2016 at 11:23 AM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Spring U17 Boys Club soccer - C&C appreciated!

CW100: Thanks for the reply! I went back and resized the images - I apologize for my lapse! I now have a specific setting just for uploading to FM . . . I just have to remember to use it too!

May 03, 2016 at 10:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.