Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

Oscarsmadness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

I don't have a photograph to contribute because I've never done this kind of thing (I not-so-secretly want to), but I wonder if there's anybody out there who has experience.

I live in Oklahoma. At the moment I am sitting on my ass with tornado sirens blaring around the city.

Is there anyone on here who intentionally (or unintentionally) looks for tornados to get a good picture? What do you do to get the shot? And what do you do for safety?

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:06 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

http://www.stormchase.com/stormchasers.html

Apr 27, 2016 at 05:12 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

I have the same thoughts myself. Seems like a great opportunity if I can crawl out of my safety spot.

May 26, 2016 at 07:12 PM
rtread
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

I'd also love to chase storms, but then i'd probably get to close to one and be scared for life. Other then a lot of rain, storms have been pretty quite this year in OKlahoma.

May 27, 2016 at 09:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

Oscarsmadness wrote:
I don't have a photograph to contribute because I've never done this kind of thing (I not-so-secretly want to), but I wonder if there's anybody out there who has experience.

I live in Oklahoma. At the moment I am sitting on my ass with tornado sirens blaring around the city.

Is there anyone on here who intentionally (or unintentionally) looks for tornados to get a good picture? What do you do to get the shot? And what do you do for safety?

Well a tornado killed Tim Samaras in El Reno so think about if it is worthwhile.

EBH

May 27, 2016 at 11:04 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

Though tornadoes occur in my neck of the woods about as often as Halley's passes over, I personally think seeing them in person could be an awe-inspiring, adrenaline-inducing experience, as well as perhaps as frightening as dealing with a larger nest full of angry hornets. Nature at both its best and its worst, its most beautiful and most destructive.

That said, I also think that in a larger number of cases now-a-days--at least from the videos of them that I've seen--storm-chasing them is a Darwin Award waiting to happen.

Just call me Aunt Em.

May 28, 2016 at 06:25 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

Clem Schultz filmed a tornado striking his house. He was on the second floor filming while his wife was downstairs. His wife didn't survive.

May 28, 2016 at 09:18 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

losing one's wife for a good video isn't worth it in my opinion. i think i would be too scared to do that besides!

May 28, 2016 at 11:52 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

Oscarsmadness wrote:
losing one's wife for a good video isn't worth it in my opinion.

I agree. I think part of the decision to publish the video is meant to serve as a warning for others to not try to record one.

May 28, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Jacknut16
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

If I can get a minute away from the kids and I can figure it out Ill post a few of my storm chasing pictures here eventually.
Its actually quite safe if (You are a meteorologist and understand the dynamics of the storm) or you aren't trying to place probes in the damage path (Tim Samaras). He was the first professional storm chaser ever killed by a tornado. The large amount of driving is the most dangerous part of storm chasing.
*(The above is true only if you are a well trained meteorologist, DO NOT try it otherwise).

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:48 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tornados (no presentation, just conjecture)

There are many ways of dying shooting extreme conditions. Many of the journalists out there getting the shots we so admire in our living rooms are in danger every day. Bottom line, if you enjoy taking the photos do it as we all have limited time on this earth and I for one don't want to spend this time being afraid of something I love doing.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:34 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.