New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

bgorum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

I'm hoping to get some insight into an occasional problem I have been having with my D7200 and my 200-500. I purchased both about 2 months ago buying the 200-500 new and the D7200 body refurbished by Nikon. I shoot with the camera in manual exposure mode with auto ISO enabled. I have the AF/AE button on the back re-programed to be an AF on button. I use af-c and either single point or d9, and the advance on CH. I usually have VR turned on. The problem is that every now and then the camera refuses to let me change shutter speed, aperture, or focus point. Things I have tried that seem to resolve the problem are wiggling the lens left and right were it has some play at the lens mount, dismounting and remounting the lens, turning the camera off then back on, and removing the battery and putting it back in. Of those the only one that works 100% of the time is removing and replacing the battery. I can't recall having this issue with any of my other lenses, but that may just be because the 200-500 is the lens I have used 90+% of the time on this body. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Any ideas about what might be going on here? As you might imagine this has caused me to miss shots, which is very frustrating. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:30 PM
flagg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

Just a guess, but I'd suspect the body more than the lens or the combination. Partly because removing and replacing the battery resolves the problem, partly because the body is refurbished. I'd do more testing to see whether it happens with other lenses.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:10 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

shooting continuously at high frame rate require large camera buffer and memory card with fast write speed.

lock-up occurs when either or both parameters have been exceeded.

another cause will be when card capacity is about to be reached.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:17 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

Be sure to use a Nikon battery.

Apr 27, 2016 at 07:59 AM
bgorum
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

Thanks for the responses. I am using a Nikon battery, my card is nowhere near full, and this occurs when the camera is not writing files to the card. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the vr? I know Nikon recommends turning the camera off before removing or mounting a lens, (especially a vr lens). I usually leave the camera turned on when I've got it out to use and I'm wondering if rotating the lens a little, (the mount to the camera has a tiny bit of play, even when the lens is "clicked" into place), could cause this.

Apr 27, 2016 at 07:44 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

the cited tiny lens play is typical for nikon mount; it's nothing to worry about.

nikon manual does recommend to turn off vr prior to power down the camera or de-mounting the lens, but it shouldn't cause camera locked-up.

earlier releases did require a firmware update, which were corrected with later releases (the recall bulletin should be available on nikon support page).

perhaps you can check to see if the issue occurred on a different body?

have you inspected the electrical contacts of the pen and camera to see if they are cleaned and there is no stuck contact?

how do other lenses behave on the body?

also, i have not came across any gripes on the 200-500 causing camera locked-up since it's release.

do more testing and post your findings. otherwise, i have no further suggestions.

Apr 27, 2016 at 08:51 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

tntcorp wrote:
shooting continuously at high frame rate require large camera buffer and memory card with fast write speed.

lock-up occurs when either or both parameters have been exceeded.

another cause will be when card capacity is about to be reached.

Cameras don't lock up when the buffer is full, the FPS just slows down to the write speed of the card.

Apr 27, 2016 at 08:57 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

I also have a problem with my D810 and 200-500/5.6 but not sure if the problem is identical to yours or not. When I use this set up for 2-3 hours stretch, there will be a few occasions where the camera freezed up completely. Turning the camera off does not work as LCD screen on top remained on. The only way to solve the problem is to remove the battery. It only happened with 200-500. I sent both my camera and lens back to Nikon service center twice and they could not find any thing wrong with it and all they did was reinstalled the latest firmware for the lens as far as I know but the problem still persist. It happened rare enough and so far did not cause any problem at crucial time but one day......
My local dealer was able to trigger to same problem that I had on my camera once when they had it for a day before sending the camera and lens in. The dealer also claimed that he never heard of this problem from anyone else and certainly searching on the net in the past, I did not see anybody report the same problem either.

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:03 AM
bgorum
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

Your problem sounds somewhat similar to mine, except my camera does not completely lock up. I can still take pictures at what ever aperture and shutter speed are set and with which ever focus point is selected, I just can't change any of those things. I also have not noticed any relationship between the problem and the amount of time I've been using the camera and lens, except that the problem is intermittent, so the more time I spend shooting in a day, the more likely it is to occur one or more times. I went out yesterday afternoon and shot about 500 pictures without experiencing the problem at all. My fear about sending the camera and lens into Nikon is that they will be unable to duplicate the issue and I'll just end up wasting time and shipping cost.

May 01, 2016 at 08:55 AM
DMTR

[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

Hi ,
I have similar problem with 200-500. There is an unusual gap in the mounting between the body and the lens that causes problems with focusing, changing aperture and errors.
The problem appear almost in cold weather and I think this is a loss of contact between the body and the lens.
I have 200-500 from a year and till now I use this lens with little old D7100 body and I think that the problem is in body. But now I bought new D500 and the problem persist. The gap between the body and the lens still exists and I have similar errors almost in cold weather. I have some other lens that works fine with both bodies ( 12-24, 105vr, 50/1.8d, sigma 150-500).
I'm sure that the problem is in the bayonet mount ring on the 200-500!
Just I don't decided yet what to do .

Jan 07, 2018 at 01:26 PM
kozmo30

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

My D500 & 200-500 has always done the same thing. A half press of shutter release should allow changing shutter speed and aperture again.

I never thought of it as a problem but now that I think of it, it is a bit annoying.

Jan 07, 2018 at 03:10 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

bgorum:
- Please make sure that your firmware is up to date.
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/215.html
- verify that the focus lock lever is fully off focus lock by moving it back and forth
- Clean the contacts on the lens and body

Others:
Clean the contacts on the lens and body

Good luck,

Morris

Jan 07, 2018 at 06:08 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · intermittant problem with d7200 and 200-500

^ this. Been using that combo for over 2 years now, and have never experienced a problem.

Jan 08, 2018 at 06:59 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.