New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · My little pony...

mxwizard1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My little pony...

I was out this weekend with my photo group and these ladies came to the beach to play. Timing sometimes is everything. Also playing with post processing a little..Thanks for looking

Apr 26, 2016 at 03:59 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My little pony...

Hey Tim!!

Man, that is some fortuitous timing - can't ask for better subjects and scene (well, maybe a little more light)!

Do you have any room to play with in 1? I'd look to remove some from the bottom and add some more room to the right to give the rider and horse some breathing room to run into. I posted a quick and dirty example below. They also look a bit underexposed.

2 is the strongest image of the set by far IMO. Great timing and freeze of action here - everything is nice and sharp, well-exposed (a bit flat, but damn if it's hard to make an overcast day pop without some help) and the expressions on both the horse and rider are fantastic! The crop and comp really work for me here - I like how how the business is happening in the upper-right half and the and what happens next with be going into the lower-left half. That diagonal symmetry works well IMO, if that makes sense - I might be getting on half a ramble here.

3 seems to be overly soft and I'm not really feeling the flares. If it were sharper I'd say you could make a nice portrait with the stoic horse and enthusiast rider with the ocean backdrop.

Couple pennies: 2 is a keeper for sure, 1 will be much better with a little TLC, 3 can be tossed.

Cheers!

Jeff

Apr 26, 2016 at 04:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My little pony...

I was amazed at the first until I saw the second, both strong images. The last is not in the same class IMO.

Apr 26, 2016 at 05:34 PM
mxwizard1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My little pony...

Thanks for the sharing Jeff..
#1- Does not have room on the right side, and I did notice that once I took the shot. This is something that requires me to slow down a little. My wife was looking over my shoulder as I'm replying and asked how you expanded the image. I have seen it done but don't recall...Photoshop Elements work for this?

I did crop the bottom the same at one point but thought it was too much.

#2- Funny we are talking about cropping...My original crop was no where near this one. I took a few goes before settling on this final image to post.

#3-Procced with Onone. I will take your advice and see what improvements I can come up with.

Karen has talked about other images of mine and them being flat...Maybe time for new glasses, or a better understanding of getting images to pop more.

Thanks again.

Apr 26, 2016 at 05:43 PM
mxwizard1
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My little pony...

Thanks Ben...I had others that didn't work for what ever reason ...Maybe grasping at straws on the third image.....Could you share what doesn't work for you? I'm very pleased with the second images...

Apr 26, 2016 at 05:47 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My little pony...

This is a nice set! For me it's a tough call between #1 . The first image has the huge smile with nice action and a softer BG where #2 has a ton of great action but a little harder BG.

I think #3 has two things working against it. One is obviously the sun flares and two is that is static especially presented right after two "high horse power" action shots.

I had to play a little with the first one to see if there was some more goodness that could be pulled out.

Dave

Apr 26, 2016 at 07:48 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My little pony...

mxwizard1 wrote:
Thanks for the sharing Jeff..
#1- Does not have room on the right side, and I did notice that once I took the shot. This is something that requires me to slow down a little. My wife was looking over my shoulder as I'm replying and asked how you expanded the image. I have seen it done but don't recall...Photoshop Elements work for this?

I did crop the bottom the same at one point but thought it was too much.

#2- Funny we are talking about cropping...My original crop was no where near this one. I took a few goes before settling on
...Show more

I just used Photoshop and the Clone tool. I'm not sure if Elements has that? If not, Gimp is free and does an EXCELLENT job with cloning. The Content Aware fill tool does a pretty decent quickjob of it as well.

As far as the flatness goes, check out your gamma/midtone contrast and contrast in general. Also helps to make sure your white and black points are set accurately.

But as always, there is no replacement for good light.

Jeff

Apr 26, 2016 at 07:56 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My little pony...

mxwizard1 wrote:
Thanks Ben...I had others that didn't work for what ever reason ...Maybe grasping at straws on the third image.....Could you share what doesn't work for you? I'm very pleased with the second images...

The flare puts me off, and it looks almost like film that has been exposed at the edge. Also the face is in more shadow.

Apr 26, 2016 at 09:37 PM
mxwizard1
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My little pony...

You just gotta love Goggle and YouTube...A little searching to find "extending a back round" I am able to pull the backround over on the first images and clone in the rest in Elements...Thanks again for the tip Jeff..

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:07 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My little pony...

mxwizard1 wrote:
You just gotta love Goggle and YouTube...A little searching to find "extending a back round" I am able to pull the backround over on the first images and clone in the rest in Elements...Thanks again for the tip Jeff..

No prob, Tim! Sometimes a little extra room makes a LOT of difference in the end.

Apr 28, 2016 at 01:45 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.