FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Galveston Suggestions

niani.gil
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Galveston Suggestions

I am planning my first trip to Galveston to get as much migration and shore birds as possible. I will be there May1-4. Could you suggest some must visit sites for photography here? I am more interested in good quality photos rather than species counts.

Many thanks for any help and info you can provide.

Nig

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:11 AM
Dave_McGowen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Galveston Suggestions

Maybe an hour away and a Ferry ride, but the Bolivar Peninsula (rollover pass in particular) is great for shore birds and Brown Pelicans. Nearby, the Houston Audubon Society's High Island preserves are good for little birds and has a fantastic Rookery. By then the Rookery should be full of half grown Egret, Heron, and Spoonbill chicks.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:27 PM
Tsmith318
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Galveston Suggestions

I've had good luck at High Island in the past! A great area to bird and take photos. Just be sure you absolutely bring bug spray. Last time I was there I was practically eaten alive just walking from the front door of my car to the trunk!

Tyler

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM
niani.gil
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Galveston Suggestions

Tsmith318 wrote:
I've had good luck at High Island in the past! A great area to bird and take photos. Just be sure you absolutely bring bug spray. Last time I was there I was practically eaten alive just walking from the front door of my car to the trunk!

Tyler

Great tip
Many thanks Tyler
I am packing my bug spray!

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM
niani.gil
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Galveston Suggestions

Dave_McGowen wrote:
Maybe an hour away and a Ferry ride, but the Bolivar Peninsula (rollover pass in particular) is great for shore birds and Brown Pelicans. Nearby, the Houston Audubon Society's High Island preserves are good for little birds and has a fantastic Rookery. By then the Rookery should be full of half grown Egret, Heron, and Spoonbill chicks.

Excellent
Many thanks Dave.
Nig

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.