New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Impassable when wet.

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Impassable when wet.

I did about 190 miles of dirt road this trip. Toroweap was too far for one day so I drove to Snow Canyon State Park near Saint George Utah for the first night. This is a pretty red rock sandstone place that is only 3 miles from an upscale St George suburb. It can be beautiful at sunrise if you have some clouds, I did not.

The next day I did Toroweap which I have already posted. I wanted two days to get home from Alstrom Point so I planned a stop at Capitol Reef for my last night. Cottonwood Canyon road starts just 10 miles west of Big Water and ends at hwy 12. Hwy 12 goes from near Bryce to Capitol Reef and is a very scenic drive and gets very high.

Cottonwood Canyon road is 36 miles of road as shown in my photo. It is not difficult when dry, but when wet, nobody should be there.

This is the heart of the Grand staircase Escalante National Monument and is superb scenery. Because I was traveling mid day, I only took some record shots along the route. Hope you enjoy them.

The purpose of these posts is to show a motive for photography that is not exactly artistic.

Start of the road

close up of rut

scenery along the way.

Grosvenor Arch

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:49 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Impassable when wet.

Ben,

I really appreciate the images showing the road conditions and the remoteness and documentary the reality of a road trip.

It has given me the notion of doing the same.

Sam

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:56 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Impassable when wet.

Good lord! I might be suffering from the old "grass is greener" syndrome but damn Ben! Places you simply drive past out there are unbelievable.

If I lived anywhere remotely close to this area I would be camping next to Grosvenor Arch for days if needed just waiting for the right conditions. And they would be sleepless nights because I would LOVE to shoot a MW with that gorgeous hollowed out slab of sandstone.

Is this all on BLM land? And what is the white stuff in the road? Looks like the streets in NY during the spring thaw.

I really enjoy your adventure shots and details of your travels. I can't do it myself so I'll just use your travel logs for a virtual vacation.

Dave

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Impassable when wet.

lighthound wrote:
Good lord! I might be suffering from the old "grass is greener" syndrome but damn Ben! Places you simply drive past out there are unbelievable.

If I lived anywhere remotely close to this area I would be camping next to Grosvenor Arch for days if needed just waiting for the right conditions. And they would be sleepless nights because I would LOVE to shoot a MW with that gorgeous hollowed out slab of sandstone.

Is this all on BLM land? And what is the white stuff in the road? Looks like the streets in NY during the spring thaw.
...Show more

There is a state park named Kodachrome Basin that is about 20 miles up the road where you can camp. But I think there are closer BLM spots.

I think the white stuff is some sort of alkaline soil, or could be gypson. They did a lot of uranium mining in Utah during the cold war. Many of the roads were built for that purpose.

Apr 26, 2016 at 01:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Impassable when wet.

Here are some images from further along.

Grand staircase Escalante

Overlooking Capitol Reef from Hwy 12

elevation sign

Apr 26, 2016 at 05:35 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Impassable when wet.

ben egbert wrote:
Here are some images from further along.

Ben:
It's wonderful following you along through your photos seeing these places I've never been to and would love to visit one day. The natural beauty in your part of the country is breath taking, and your masterful photos mirror that. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Apr 26, 2016 at 07:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Impassable when wet.

eeneryma wrote:
Ben:
It's wonderful following you along through your photos seeing these places I've never been to and would love to visit one day. The natural beauty in your part of the country is breath taking, and your masterful photos mirror that. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Thank you Steve. Nice words to hear.

Apr 26, 2016 at 09:31 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Impassable when wet.

eeneryma wrote:
Ben:

Steve

I was trying to figure out how to word my comments, but Steve already did.
Thanks for sharing the story, the travelogue

Scott

Apr 27, 2016 at 09:38 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Impassable when wet.

sbeme wrote:
I was trying to figure out how to word my comments, but Steve already did.
Thanks for sharing the story, the travelogue

Scott

Thanks Scott. A bit off topic for a critique forum, but this is where my forum buddies are so I posted here, just to let you folks know I have not given up yet.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:40 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Impassable when wet.

Your latest images makes me recall being up on the Bear Tooth highway several years back.
I road it on my Harley in 2008 then because I was so impressed with seeing out west I took my wife out in 2009 and rented a car.

We stopped along the summit area approximately 10k or 11k ft and I got the bright idea to RUN over to this cool section of boulders that were just off the road a few hundred feet.

Or so I thought.

Turned out they were closer to 3/4 of a mile away but appeared to be just a few hundred feet away. And did I mention I tried to RUN?

Note: Southern rednecks that live at 965 feet should NEVER run any distance when they are at 10,000 feet. Bad things happen that cause minor abrasions to ones face and hands upon contact with ground.

Dave

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Impassable when wet.

lighthound wrote:
Your latest images makes me recall being up on the Bear Tooth highway several years back.
I road it on my Harley in 2008 then because I was so impressed with seeing out west I took my wife out in 2009 and rented a car.

We stopped along the summit area approximately 10k or 11k ft and I got the bright idea to RUN over to this cool section of boulders that were just off the road a few hundred feet.

Or so I thought.

Turned out they were closer to 3/4 of a mile away but appeared to be just
...Show more

I did the Bear Tooth once but there was a forest fire so photography was not great. I know what you mean about the altitude. I live at nearly 5,000 feet and have for 5 years, but I still get out of breath. The other part is the clear air you get up high, although we get inversion layer smog when a city is near. But I can drive 15 miles and be at 9,000 feet.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:34 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Impassable when wet.

Hope you don't mind a bit of day to night play on this one, Ben. Many fantastic captures in this set by the way.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Impassable when wet.

Hey, just what Dave wanted, so now he does not need to have all those sleepless nights

Apr 27, 2016 at 03:39 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Impassable when wet.

I enjoyed your travel photos. I plan on staying on the east coast this year. I might be a long year. I will probably make up for it next year. I already have plans that put me in Washington state by the beginning of June.

Apr 27, 2016 at 04:58 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Impassable when wet.

Camperjim wrote:
I enjoyed your travel photos. I plan on staying on the east coast this year. I might be a long year. I will probably make up for it next year. I already have plans that put me in Washington state by the beginning of June.

We need to hook up again.

Apr 27, 2016 at 08:08 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Impassable when wet.

ben egbert wrote:
We need to hook up again.

Sounds good. Again not this year. I am heading for Nova Scotia mid summer through the fall. Next year it appears I will be in Walla Walla on 6/10 for my daughters wedding. I will probably go on to Olympia and the Oregon coast and wait until Fall for southern Utah. Or I might think about a Spring trip to southern Utah before the wedding.

Apr 27, 2016 at 08:42 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Impassable when wet.

Of course, you just cannot beat the real thing.

Image from this story.

Apr 29, 2016 at 09:55 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.