Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

xgrewellx
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

I've been toying around with a different way to do headshots and whatnot. I setup a big octobox camera left with 2 Nikon SB700's in it, used yongnuo triggers capable of high speed sync. Shot the headshots with my Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC. I really like the blown out background and tack sharp subject. Also included is one of the mother daughter shots I did yesterday. It was a blast overall!

If I had to do this over I would have stopped down just a hair. I noticed the eye at camera left is ever so soft.

Tack sharp across the eyes here, loved this look.

Really liked what the 58mm 1.4g did here.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Frock
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

Pretty work. Thinking about that lens, what is your overall assessment of it? Auto focus fast and accurate?

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:44 PM
xgrewellx
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

Thanks!

I really do love the 58mm f/1.4g. It's a highly debated lens and the folks over at dpreview have been fighting over it for the last few weeks. I will admit it's quite soft wide open, but it's strange, it's not really "soft" it's more of a "glow". I don't know how to describe it. Details are tack sharp but they have a bit of a glow around them. Stopped down to 1.6 it gets much sharper and the glow starts to go away. At f2 the magic really starts with the 3D effect. This shot was stopped down a bit more than that just to get both sets of eyes in focus but even from this shot you can tell the lens has character. Falloff into bokeh is so pleasant. I've been getting comments from people that my shots have an appealing look to them when I use it, and tonight I was asked by another photographer in the area what kind of "post processing" I do to give my shots this much character. The best part, the image they saw was pretty much straight out of camera....

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:09 AM
xgrewellx
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

And to further answer your question: AF is fast but I don't think it's as fast as my 85mm 1.4g and nowhere near as quick as the lightning fast 70-200mm. This isn't to say it isn't fast, it just isn't as fast as those lenses. As for as character, it's a solid 10/10. It was a large chunk of cash and a hard pill to swallow but I am very happy I bought the lens and it rarely leaves my camera.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:10 AM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

Beatiful shots and the lighting ratio is perfect for me. The slightly shot right eye is only for us photo buffs to complain about but for all intents and purposes is meaningless as this is a great shot.

Apr 26, 2016 at 08:23 PM
xgrewellx
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

Thanks!! I was really pleased when I saw the results.

Here's a setup shot:

Apr 27, 2016 at 07:19 AM
monkey007
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

Very nice shots. What size of the octobox did you use?

Apr 27, 2016 at 09:56 PM
xgrewellx
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

Thanks! Its a 47" Octobox that I got on Amazon really cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PIM3I7W/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:02 PM
monkey007
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

That is very affordable set up. I might end up purchasing it. What bracket did you use for the two flashes? I was looking on Amazon and Ebay for triple flash bracket, but they all look not very sturdy and safe to hold three flashes.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:09 PM
xgrewellx
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

I actually just used two individual light stand to hot shoe mount brackets. What I do is place one of the SB700's on a hotshoe mount and put the rod in the softbox through, place it so the flash is pointing to the back bottom of the box and lock down the set screw, then I place the rod through the other mount hat is attached to the light stand. It'll have an SB700 on it as well. It works out.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:12 PM
xgrewellx
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

I'm shooting with this setup again tomorrow, if I remember I'll take a picture of it for you.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:12 PM
FotoHouse
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

Good job. Very nice.

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:14 PM
monkey007
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

If you don't mind posting the flashes setup, that would be helpful. Thanks.

May 01, 2016 at 03:49 PM
crisfranco

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

Question: What do you call that bar attached to the light stand that's holding the reflector? I'd like to buy that arm for my light stand and would like to know how to search for it.

May 01, 2016 at 10:20 PM
monkey007
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

search for boom arm

May 02, 2016 at 05:23 PM
xgrewellx
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Had fun trying out a new setup yesterday.

I'll post setup shots next time I get to shoot like this. Sorry, haven't had time to set it up, been a busy few days.

May 02, 2016 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.