FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A B&W Take On A Sedona Vista

another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A B&W Take On A Sedona Vista

I am far from an accomplished B&W shooter, but found myself playing with Silver Efex 2 (just acquired free recently when they started giving it away) on this shot from last weekend's quick trip to Sedona, AZ, and ultimately liked the result in black and white better than the color version.

http://www.thinairphotography.com/img/s4/v65/p1952442201-6.jpg

Comments welcome and thanks for looking.

ML

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:19 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A B&W Take On A Sedona Vista

I don't know why B+W's Landscapes get so little attention here. This is very nice and worth many compliments. Looks a lot like around Kanab where I lived last year. Nice job.

One thing about Silver Effects. I love the program without a doubt, but their 8 bit system runs a very high risk of posterization. I hope they go 16 bit because their program has been a staple for so many...

Apr 26, 2016 at 01:31 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A B&W Take On A Sedona Vista

Sweet side lighting on this one and a very nice vista. The conversion looks good, with a wide range of tones and just the right amount of contrast.

Heron

Apr 26, 2016 at 01:48 PM
Linda Shorey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A B&W Take On A Sedona Vista

Terrific impact for me. Wide vista with lovely details, light, shadow, forms.

Apr 26, 2016 at 05:06 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A B&W Take On A Sedona Vista

Thanks to all for the comments! I wasn't sure if posting here or in B&W Vision was best, but then I saw some other B&W work here so I decided it must be OK.

Mark M.,
Yes, I had some issues with Silver Efex introducing sky noise in what was being converted from an ISO 100 noise free image, probably the 8 bit issue you mentioned. I was able to go back and work a little more carefully and avoid it.

I greatly appreciate the feedback from all 3 of you who are more experienced in B&W post processing as I know just enough so far to know getting a good conversion is not as easy as it seems like it would be.

ML

Apr 26, 2016 at 08:16 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.