New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Art Festivals

Vcize
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Art Festivals

Has anyone done one of these before? I've been accepted for a booth at the Utah Arts Festival later this year in Salt Lake City. It's a pretty big festival with a lot of traffic, but since this is my first festival, I'm stuck on a few things. I have my canopy and hanging methods all set, but am unsure of...

1) I have no idea how much extra stock to bring in addition to my filled out booth. I tend to do largish (24x36) prints on metal so they're expensive to make and I don't want to end up with a storage closet full of extras, but on the flipside the event is 4 straight 12 hour days and I don't want a bunch of wall space sitting empty if stuff is moving either. Obviously it depends on the work, but how much wall-hanging stock (IE not counting small matted prints in bins) typically gets moved at these things?

2) The festival runs into night time each day. They say we'll have 200w of energy provided for lighting our booth. If we need more I guess we'd need a generator. What are some decent lighting setups that would meet this requirement (my canopy is a standard Caravan pop-up canopy with mesh panels on the back and sides.

3) What kind of buyers generally frequent these things? Like I mentioned I generally go for higher priced 24x36 metals in galleries, but I'm unsure if those kind of buyers would be at an art festival. I know when I've done a farmer's market in the past there was no interest in high priced wall hanging items, but rather small and cheap mounted prints out of the bins. Are festival buyers likely to be similar to farmer's market buyers, or are they attending with the idea that they might spend some real money (whereas most people don't go to a farmer's market thinking they're going to spend more than a few bucks)? Should focus be on a few high priced sales (like in a gallery) or a lot of lower priced, smaller sales (like at a farmer's market)?

Ideally I'd have a chance to walk through one first as a customer, but this thing is once per year so there's not really any opportunity for that this year.

Apr 24, 2016 at 08:41 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Art Festivals

I have seen 24x36 and yp to 6 ft at art fairs. Prices from $300 to $6000.

Lighting, go with LED, high color renderijg. They are low power and durable.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:46 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Art Festivals

Vcize wrote:
1) I have no idea how much extra stock to bring in addition to my filled out booth. I tend to do largish (24x36) prints on metal so they're expensive to make and I don't want to end up with a storage closet full of extras, but on the flipside the event is 4 straight 12 hour days and I don't want a bunch of wall space sitting empty if stuff is moving either. Obviously it depends on the work, but how much wall-hanging stock (IE not counting small matted prints in bins) typically gets moved at these things?

Never done one so can't give an experienced answer.
What I would suggest however is caution.
I would not be investing in ANYTHING I had to outlay on for a non guaranteed sale. You'll end up getting burnt.
What I would suggest with the larger prints is not delivering them at the festival but rather just taking orders.

Crap on about how the pics are all hand done or custom made and you don't want to risk damage bringing them to the festival where proper packaging is too expensive etc. Tell the people they can order today and their print will be delivered in XX time. Tell them they are limited run, ( you are only going to print as many as you sell aren't you?) whatever adds value to the product.

TRUST ME, Delivering is NOT the key. Sales are. In another thread about onsite and online event sales I mention how I was told onsite printing didn't matter but I didn't think that was right for my market. When it came about I had a problem and couldn't print onsite and just had to take orders, I discovered that the advise was right again and it didn't matter a fig.

Turn this around, don't think its a negative because people will want the prints there and then. Think up reasons why it's better NOT to have the prints there and how them being printed later and sent to the customer is a benefit to them.

To me, doing it any other way is a guarantee you'll get burned.
There is no possible way to predict how many prints you'll sell. None. So what HAS to happen is you either over estimate and blow most of your profits in unslod prints that probably wont sell anywhere else either or you'll inevitably under estimate and still run out or have wall space etc.

Take orders, add a shipping fee, your guaranteed to get everything right and without doubt, You'll also be saying. " I didn't think I'd sell that many of those ones but I was sure that one would walk out the door but I sold none.

2) The festival runs into night time each day. They say we'll have 200w of energy provided for lighting our booth. If we need more I guess we'd need a generator. What are some decent lighting setups that would meet this requirement (my canopy is a standard Caravan pop-up canopy with mesh panels on the back and sides.

They usually say these things but don't check them unless you go overboard. That said, 200W is nothing and wouldn't be hard to work out. You might be able to fudge it a bit but not much.

You could go for those compact or regular florescent's but their light output sucks.
As mentioned, I'd be going for LEDS.
There is a load of ways you could do this.

last week I made up a light panel using 12W Downlights mounted into a board. At just over 100W it's bright enough to take pics with hand held, no problems. You could set something up to go in your tent and with 200W of this sort of light you'd have aircraft trying to land on you.
I paid $12 each for the lights with a plug in transformer. Cheap as chips.

You could also look at LED strip light. I bought a 5M roll of that to put inside the rear of my Truck enclosed cargo area. Brilliant stuff and a few rlls of that plus a suitable power supply would give you a very even and sufficiently bright light. there are different types of LED's in this stuff so get the better, brighter ones ( 5050?).

Also in my recent LED obsession, I bought some 12V car type lights. An LED bar and some round work lights. The bar would be total overkill directly on the prints BUT..... if your tent has a white roof, you could bounce it up there and give a very soft even light to the whole thing and probably attract attention for how bright it was lit. You would need more lighting though and that's were the floods come in.

You can buy 27W floods in batches of 10 for under $15 ea. you could run them off a decent heavy duty battery charger or depending on how long you need to run it, just a battery itself.
If you had 10 of the things, 270w, you could easily run them off a car battery for 4+ hours depending on the battery. If you hooked that battery to a charger and used it to supplement the battery if the charger wouldn't do the load on it's own, you'd get even better endurance.

there are also outdoor type floods which come in a rectangular grey coloured housing with a square Chip,. They come from 10 to 100W but the 10s are by far the best value.
I bought 4 of them 2 nights ago for..... $5 ea for the mains powered models. 8 of them, $40 worth would light your tent again like daylight. You'd just need some power boards and leads and you'd be right.
I always pre wire my booths or tents so I can lay out the boards and cords and tie everything to the length I want it so it fits right up when I get to the site.

For my camping tent, I made a wiring harness years ago. It fits the tent perfectly and has switches just like you have on the wall at home. I put a 12V battery at the side and the thing is lit up like a house. I used to recharge the battery by putting it in the boot of the car and attaching a charging lead which topped it up as I drove around during the day but now I have bought a grunty solar panel, I can throw that on the roof of the tent and have the charge controller on the battery box so it's all automatic. The controller will charge the batteries and give me enough power to run the fridge as well.

Ideally I'd have a chance to walk through one first as a customer, but this thing is once per year so there's not really any opportunity for that this year.

Why not look up where these things will be held in other areas? Go to one of them and see. Often organisers will go from place to place doing them so find out where they will be and drive out and see one. It will be worth the effort.

I remember one gig I picked up I had never done before I drove 12 hours interstate to see.
I prolonged my stay there checking it out for about 15 min and that was all I needed.
May not have been long but it was still worth while. And my daughter and I had a great few days away together.

Apr 26, 2016 at 08:46 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Art Festivals

In order to do these shows you need lots of inventory. It's completely different than event photography because people expect to carry their purchases home with them. That's also the most economical situation for you because every extra hour you spend fussing with packaging and shipping lowers your hourly pay rate. Time really is money. The goal is to haul your inventory to the show and go home with as little of it as possible, without a lot of lingering tasks to perform.

We always have framed prints in a variety of sizes from quite large to 11x14, and bins full of about 100 different 11x14 matted prints. We take extras of the most popular matted and small framed prints to replace those when they sell, and we have a few of the most popular in multiple sizes. We also take some different larger framed prints that are not initially displayed to hang instead of having blank spaces on the walls. I don't like having more than one large framed print of a particular image around for numerous reasons. During a show a variety of sizes will usually sell, but small matted prints from the print racks sell more than anything else. To a point the display of large prints is advertising for the small ones. Large ones sell too, but as with most things the number sold is always inversely proportional to price. Pricing is also very important. Participate only in shows where your pricing is within the range that's normal for the show. If your work is priced well above everything else it will not sell. Conversely, if your prices are too low you can't make enough money to bother doing this.

In my experience if a person leaves your booth without a print in hand you will never make a sale to them, even if they say they are coming back. There are exceptions but they are few and far between. Because booth fees are at least a few hundred dollars, tent and display equipment are thousands, and it takes so much time to set up, tear down, and prepare for a show, you need to make a LOT of sales for it to be worthwhile. You have a big investment in time (that's most of it), equipment, insurance, and the rest to pay for, in addition to paying yourself (and assistant?) a decent wage.

I calculated once that for a typical 2.5 day weekend show with a $500 booth fee, selling prints that cost you 25% of the selling price, you need to sell $1200 to make one person a $7.25 per hour minimum wage. That assumes your images cost nothing to obtain and have no value beyond the materials and labor used to make the prints! In other words, you need to do MUCH better than that to make it worthwhile.

Because of all the investment in inventory and equipment you really need to be in this for the long haul or you'll lose money rather than make it.

Apr 26, 2016 at 03:40 PM
iBill
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Art Festivals

I have been doing art shows for several years now. In fact, I will be at the show you are talking about. My answers would be a combination of what has already been said. In general I agree with dmcphoto, you need lots of inventory. I bring more inventory to shows than most anyone else I have seen. But I have slowly, over time, discovered which images will sell, so investing in inventory is not as big of a risk for me, as it is for you. Most photographers at art shows sell prints off the wall or out of the bin. I have only seen a few take orders only, with varying degrees of success. Since this is your first show ever, it might be wise to do a combination of both. Ask the customer if they are ok with putting in a order and receiving it in a few weeks. If they are not, don't lose the sale, let them take it with them now. This should reduce the amount of inventory you will need.

Definitely take at least a deposit up front, if they leave your booth without the piece, or at least a give a deposit, the chances of seeing them again are slim!!!

Forget about a generator, almost all shows do not allow them. You will need to figure out an LED of CFL lighting system. This show has the tightest power restrictions I have ever seen, only 200watts. I generally use a halogen system, but can't here.

I also agree you need to be in this for the long haul, tough to make it pay doing just a few here and there.

This will be my first time doing this particular show also. I have talked to people who have done really well there and others that didn't do well. No way to know what kind of sales you will have until you try it once, and then it may be different next time

May 07, 2016 at 05:08 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Art Festivals

Wanted to say good luck and to repeat what others have said, at these events, people want to take things with them. They want to feel and see what they are spending money on. There also seems to be two types of people, those that think festival or fair is supposed to be like a garage sale where everything for sale is $2, and those who appreciate the craftsmanship of the person creating the product rather than reselling chinese crap.

If you do take orders, at least have a couple of the large metal prints on display so people can physically see just how large they are. Don't have some smaller ones and then tell people you can make them bigger. They want to see an actual sample. (and what was said about people not wanting to order is true. Even if you tell them you will have their order tomorrow, they will let you know they aren't planning on coming back.)

200W of power SUCKS but at least with LED lighting these days you can have 10-15 bulbs set up. With the 10x10 canopies there are places along the skeleton to clip lights on or string them across. Not sure how they will work with photos, but I hoave found that those cheap clip on work lights/reflectors from Lowe's that cost like $6-$10 put out a ton of light when outfitted with those new LED light sticks. The sticks are like $3.50 each in multi packs and only consume like 14 watts. They are daylight bulbs, so plenty bright.

I have not sold photos at an event like this, but did try my hand at selling my hand turned pens, wine stoppers, and cosmetic brushes back when I made them. Some people appreciated the nature of something hand made, while others were amazed at why my item would cost $35 when they could buy "the same thing" at the store for $8.

Edited on May 12, 2016 at 08:03 AM · View previous versions

May 10, 2016 at 09:06 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Art Festivals

where in SLC will the be held? I may just stop on in to check it out!

May 11, 2016 at 01:19 PM
iBill
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Art Festivals

Dustin Gent wrote:
where in SLC will the be held? I may just stop on in to check it out!

Downtown Library Square, June 23-26th, noon - 11PM daily

May 12, 2016 at 08:53 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.