New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D800 Flash Not Working After Drop

pja7
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 Flash Not Working After Drop

Hi folks,

Around 6 months ago my mint D800 with 27k actuations slid off the side of a low coffee table onto a tiled floor. As it slid down a small gap between the wall and the table (no lens attached) it landed flat on its base and had a tripod plate attached to it. Switched it on and it was completely dead so I removed batteries memory cards reset, etc and still nothing.

So I went and bought a new D810 (I wanted one anyway) and sent the D800 to Nikon for repair. The quote came back as beyond economic repair due to a cracked sub frame (apparently a known design weakness on the D800 frame if it drops that way and you have tripod or L bracket on it). They offered me a refurbished D810 which I declined. To my surprise on receiving the D800 back I switched it on and it works. Everything is fine except the flash doesn't work and will not fire the shutter with the flash popped up. It also doesn't function in TTL with an SB910 on the hot shoe. My theory is they got half way through repairing it and discovered the internal frame has a crack in it.

I've been using it as my outdoor leisure camera ever since and keeping my D810 for work.

Has anyone come across this and know of a fix? It's worth more to keep than sell for what I'd get for it, but I could use it as a back up for work if I could fix the flash.

Apr 24, 2016 at 04:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.