New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

I have been wanting to shoot Yow's Mill for a while now. Just had to wait for a spring day with nice clouds. Well it happened yesterday so we drove out to the mill and the only place you are allowed to take photos from is the bridge. So it limited my shots it would have been nice to shoot at a lower place for a better view I think. My wife took a photo of me on the bridge shooting to show how limited I was.

This mill is different from other mills that I have seen in that the wheel is underneath the building. On the full rez version you can see it through the opening on the right of the building.

I tried a BW version but it fell flat, I couldn't process it to a satisfactory level. I would love to see what anyone's try would be.

Thanks for looking

Walt

Yate's Mill

Apr 24, 2016 at 01:20 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

I like it, Walt!

Maybe slightly boost shadows/reduce highlights and I'd definitely clone out the utility lines in the background.

Cheers!

Jeff

Apr 24, 2016 at 01:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

Great shot for the limits imposed. I don't see utility lines so you must have fixed it already.

Apr 24, 2016 at 02:10 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

ben egbert wrote:
Great shot for the limits imposed. I don't see utility lines so you must have fixed it already.

Nah, they are still there. Hard to see, but a nit nonetheless.

Apr 24, 2016 at 03:04 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

I think this image is pleasant, but I would want to try it again. This image just doesn't seem that interesting. The mill or house doesn't provide me with a lot of interest. I did not even notice the waterfalls at first. The stream provides a strong leading line but just sort of dies in the woods. I don't have any specific suggestions but I do think I would try it again and maybe again and again.

I also do not understand the limitation of shooting from the bridge. It looks like you should be able to move back and forth on the highway at a very minimum.

Apr 24, 2016 at 03:22 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

beavens wrote:
I like it, Walt!

Maybe slightly boost shadows/reduce highlights and I'd definitely clone out the utility lines in the background.

Cheers!

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. I'll look at those power lines again.
---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:

Thank you Ben, still there.

beavens wrote:
Nah, they are still there. Hard to see, but a nit nonetheless.

Camperjim wrote:
I think this image is pleasant, but I would want to try it again. This image just doesn't seem that interesting. The mill or house doesn't provide me with a lot of interest. I did not even notice the waterfalls at first. The stream provides a strong leading line but just sort of dies in the woods. I don't have any specific suggestions but I do think I would try it again and maybe again and again.

I also do not understand the limitation of shooting from the bridge. It looks like you should be able to move back and forth
...Show more

Thank you Jim, I plan on going back again. I like old grist mills and this is one of the better preserved ones.

You can move back and forth on the road just frustrating because of better compositions to be had off the bridge/highway.

Walt

Apr 25, 2016 at 01:23 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

Walt, If you can, try hitting it early morning for better light and possibly a little steam coming off the water if you pick a really cool night. I think better light would make a drastic improvement for you. I can see why you have been wanting to shoot this. Very picturesque.

Dave

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:19 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

lighthound wrote:
Walt, If you can, try hitting it early morning for better light and possibly a little steam coming off the water if you pick a really cool night. I think better light would make a drastic improvement for you. I can see why you have been wanting to shoot this. Very picturesque.

Dave

I plan on going back especially during the fall colors, I like the idea of steam on the stream which will be easier in the fall.

Thanks for the ideas.

Walt

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:14 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

Can you explain why or how the only place you are "allowed" to take a photo is from the bridge?

Is this privet property with no admittance? Is the bridge the only spot you can see the mill from?

Is the mill surrounded by privet property?

Sam

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

FLSTCSAM wrote:
Can you explain why or how the only place you are "allowed" to take a photo is from the bridge?

Is this privet property with no admittance? Is the bridge the only spot you can see the mill from?

Is the mill surrounded by privet property?

Sam

Sure the mill is on and surrounded by private property, so the only decent angles are from the bridge area. Friends have asked if they can shoot at different locations only to be told by the owner of the Mill no. But he could shoot from the road.

Walt

Apr 27, 2016 at 05:03 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

WalterF wrote:
Sure the mill is on and surrounded by private property, so the only decent angles are from the bridge area. Friends have asked if they can shoot at different locations only to be told by the owner of the Mill no. But he could shoot from the road.

Walt

Thanks Walt.

Sam

Apr 27, 2016 at 05:46 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

I'm going to come from left field and say I like the shot as is! It's a great jigsaw puzzle scene, peaceful, well lit, well exposed. Now if there were a deer in just the right place, and add a couple of fawns too, then.....you get the picture! Other times and other lighting may produce as good or better results, but you've no need to apologize for this one. IMHO.

keith

Apr 30, 2016 at 05:10 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Springtime at Yow's Mill

beanpkk wrote:
I'm going to come from left field and say I like the shot as is! It's a great jigsaw puzzle scene, peaceful, well lit, well exposed. Now if there were a deer in just the right place, and add a couple of fawns too, then.....you get the picture! Other times and other lighting may produce as good or better results, but you've no need to apologize for this one. IMHO.

keith

Thanks Keith for the kind words, I look forward to all the different views people have and how they can help me grow.

Walt

May 03, 2016 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.