New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Help with image sizing in LR to post in forum threads

jerseymike

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with image sizing in LR to post in forum threads

Greetings. Hoping someone can help me out with my issue. I am a new member to FM and am trying to post a new thread and pictures in the sports forum. However, each time I try to upload I am getting the error this file exceeds the maximum size of 1.4MB. Anyone care to share a good export setting for Lightroom so that I can share my images in the forums? Thanks for your time. P.S. I am not hosting the image anywhere and am just trying to upload it here. I checked my membership and it says my upload & sell is on etc.

Apr 23, 2016 at 07:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with image sizing in LR to post in forum threads

It should be OK if you size to 1000 pixels on the longest side, and save with jpeg compression of 10 (i.e. high res.). You can save a larger image and use more compression (9 or 8) to keep it small enough.

Apr 23, 2016 at 07:41 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with image sizing in LR to post in forum threads

Hi Mike, welcome.

What Jim said. For a tiny bit of clarification I would add that it's annoying to FMer's when the image dimensions are too large for easy viewing - meaning they have to scroll to see it. Thus Jim's advice of 1000 px on the long side. Jim's probably referring to Photoshop compression settings. In LR set your jpeg compression to 85 or 90%.

Regards,

Chuck

Apr 24, 2016 at 08:12 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with image sizing in LR to post in forum threads

I use 1000px on the longest side. I could use more (and many do) as most folk here will have a screens that are 1920 px or wider, but i also check the site on my laptop and higher resolution images don't fit on the screen.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:14 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with image sizing in LR to post in forum threads

Can you not just click on an image and it will be opened up in a new window resized so it fits the resolution of you monitor?

I'd rather see larger images as today's screen resolutions have moved past the old ega standards. I understand the bandwidth problems and storage requirements of larger images, but I'd rather not limit the size by dimensions to something that is accommodated on low resolution systems.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:09 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with image sizing in LR to post in forum threads

Given how the forum manages uploads for display purposes, sizing for the high resolution monitors available today presents a number of challenges that are either going to impact users of lower resolution monitors, or those using high resolution monitors; that may be why the links to Flickr are allowed in the non-presentation boards (Flickr allows for higher resolution image uploads, though doing so increases the risk of image theft).

If the forum application is set up to allow for it, one suggestion that might accommodate users of both types of monitors would be to allow for the addition of a similar Flickr link under each image in the Presentation boards. Adding such links could be made optional for the user at the time of upload.

Of course making any changes entails additional work on Fred's part, the scope of which can vary from relatively easy to somewhat complex depending on how things are set up now.

Apr 24, 2016 at 01:37 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.