New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

delsol9400
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

Anyone notice the 5dsr's LCD screen is considerably warmer in color temperature than the 5diii ? I noticed this especially when looking at the menu, and during cleaning of the senor on startup... Just wondering if this is normal or not...

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:15 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

That's pretty much determined by the Picture Style you have selected, no?

Apr 23, 2016 at 01:17 AM
salamander1

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

delsol9400 wrote:
Anyone notice the 5dsr's LCD screen is considerably warmer in color temperature than the 5diii ? I noticed this especially when looking at the menu, and during cleaning of the senor on startup... Just wondering if this is normal or not...

yes, i know what you're talking about. you can see that very same warm yellowish color temperature screen in some 5D3's manufactured during the last two years or so as well. i got mine in 2012 and it has a beautiful color correct lcd screen. the same color temperature as the 1dx's screen or a good computer screen. adjusting the correct white balance is very easy using that screen. not so with the yellow screen. i'm real picky about that. i will buy my next camera based on the lcd screen alone.
5D4? maybe.

Apr 23, 2016 at 01:47 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

Are you shooting with Auto White Balance on or off? I have two of each of these bodies, none bought at the same time and they all seem about the same to me but the AWB on the 5DSR is the best yet of any Canon body I've used, so sometimes that will make the LCD appear more accurate than the 5D3, but both are quite good. And, if you're shooting Raw, it doesn't make any difference in the end. Does for video though.

Apr 23, 2016 at 08:02 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

IIRC LCD's are supplied by third parties and may give different output between different batches. They are certainly not calibrated to give the right color temperature.

Apr 23, 2016 at 08:22 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

Are you sure it's a warm LCD and not a setting in Picture Style? The LCD on the camera doesn't display the RAW file. It displays an in-camera processed JPG regardless if the camera menu is set to record JPG's or not. Therefore, whatever picture style setting is used is what will show up on the screen even when set to RAW and no JPG for card one and/or card two.

Apr 23, 2016 at 08:57 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

My 5Ds has a yellow compared to my 5Dmkiii.
It is not a picture profile setting.
Images are fine when looking on computer.

-mark

Apr 23, 2016 at 02:45 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

Since the OP mentions even menus look that way, it cannot be a picture style or anything related to a picture setting.

Apr 23, 2016 at 02:51 PM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

To the others who replied -- it's definitely not a picture setting. It's the tone of the screen. It's inaccurately warm compared to my older (circa 2012) 5diii screen. I shot my first wedding with the camera out of necessity. I had thought canon was coming out with a 5d3 replacement sooner, so I converted my 5d2 camera to infrared, but kept an older 60d body as a backup. The 60d was not cutting it as a backup to the caliber of weddings I've been shooting lately, and my 5d3 is just about worn out (needs to be sent in to get shutter replaced, etc).. So I pulled the trigger reluctantly on the 5dsr. I have to say it's underrated as a wedding camera. I shot the whole thing in medium raw, and those 28 or 29 megapixel raws are much more stunning, and sharper than the 5d3 raws. The color is better (on the computer), the autofocus is faster. It snaps it to focus on just about everything right away, and tracks the bridal party coming down the aisle without missing a beat. The metering is also more accurate than the 5d3. Now for the negatives. Today's wedding was about 12 hours, and I went though almost 2 full batteries. On the 5d3, maybe I'd hit a 2nd battery. The warm screen is annoying (but tolerable). If you're in the habit of chimping, the images take an extra beat to appear on the LCD - which blows, especially when you're working fast. I used to shoot film, and I never chimped, but digital got me into that bad habit of checking the screen - even when I know it's right. The good thing is the metering is better on this camera, so you're less likely to make a mistake... anyone else's thoughts on this camera? Like I said, I would have waited for the 5d4, but who knows when it's really coming out... and when they do come out, I'm sure they will be back-ordered forever.

>>yes, i know what you're talking about. you can see that very same warm yellowish color temperature screen in some 5D3's manufactured during the last two years or so as well. i got mine in 2012 and it has a beautiful color correct lcd screen. the same color temperature as the 1dx's screen or a good computer screen. adjusting the correct white balance is very easy using that screen. not so with the yellow screen. i'm real picky about that. i will buy my next camera based on the lcd screen alone.
5D4? maybe.

Apr 24, 2016 at 01:50 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

I am still on the fence of adding a 5dsr. I did have a 5ds cps loaner for some time. The full raw files are amazing in quality if the lens can keep up and shooting technique is on par. The af is good, but i am not sure it is better than the 5d3. I find sraw and mraw look crappy in lr6 compared to the full raw, especially in the shadows (pushing) and consider them not usable. Same for the 5d3 btw. A shame really because it would make the camera much more flexible if the results were better. Maybe other raw software give better results? I also find the resolution gain between 22mp and 50mp is only worthwhile when blowing up prints and looking for really fine detail. For events this is usually not the case. Then the big file size can become a real burden...

Apr 24, 2016 at 04:42 AM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

Daan,

Maybe you were lent a bad copy - I'm pretty critical about focus, and I can tell you the camera really locked onto everything - even in extremely dim lit conditions such as the reception. Unless, my 5d3 is so out of whack that I'm thinking the 5dsr is good, but I don't think that's the case, because there is some newer tech added to the 5dsr that is supposed to make the focusing and tracking better. I can see the greenish noise in the shadows of the mraw files if you lighten the shadows all the way to the right in lightroom, but I can't forsee myself ever having to push that much. For the creative romance bridal portraits you can always switch to full raw, and then back to mraw for the rest of the day. Through my critical eyes, the mraw files are better than the 5d3 full files. Yesterday I was shooting with the 24-70 f/2.8 II, the 70-200 f.2.8 IS II, the 16-35 f/4, and the 100mm macro, and everything is super sharp.

Daan B wrote:
I am still on the fence of adding a 5dsr. I did have a 5ds cps loaner for some time. The full raw files are amazing in quality if the lens can keep up and shooting technique is on par. The af is good, but i am not sure it is better than the 5d3. I find sraw and mraw look crappy in lr6 compared to the full raw, especially in the shadows (pushing) and consider them not usable. Same for the 5d3 btw. A shame really because it would make the camera much more flexible if the results
...Show more

Apr 24, 2016 at 01:35 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

delsol9400 wrote:
Daan,

Maybe you were lent a bad copy - I'm pretty critical about focus, and I can tell you the camera really locked onto everything - even in extremely dim lit conditions such as the reception. Unless, my 5d3 is so out of whack that I'm thinking the 5dsr is good, but I don't think that's the case, because there is some newer tech added to the 5dsr that is supposed to make the focusing and tracking better.

My time with the 5Ds was far too limited to do a full AF comparison. Both camera's don't give me any problems. In crappy light I use an AF assist light anyway. This usually solves most issues.

When you say better on the 5Dsr: is it the center AF point or the outer AF points? Is the improvement with tracking only?

I can see the greenish noise in the shadows of the mraw files if you lighten the shadows all the way to the right in lightroom, but I can't forsee myself ever having to push that much. For the creative romance bridal portraits you can always switch to full raw, and then back to mraw for the rest of the day. Through my critical eyes, the mraw files are better than the 5d3 full files. Yesterday I was shooting with the 24-70 f/2.8 II, the 70-200 f.2.8 IS II, the 16-35 f/4, and the 100mm macro, and everything is super sharp....Show more

Do you use the standard LR profile for the 5Dsr (full RAW) or the 'medium contrast' profile (provided later by Adobe)? When I use the 'medium contrast' profile, I don't see much difference with a 5D3 file regarding contrast/colors. However, I do see a big difference with the standard 5Dsr profile.

Sharpness isn't my only concern (native 22MP with new lenses is very sharp anyway). I don't have to push the shadows +100 in LR6 to see the green cast in the shadows. Depending on the DR I try to capture the green cast is there much sooner

Apr 25, 2016 at 02:56 AM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5dsr LCD vs 5diii

The center point is better in almost complete darkness, and it tracks better overall. I'm using the "camera standard" profile in lightroom. The color seems more "organic" (for lack of a better description) than the 5d3... not sure if everyone would notice it or not, or if it's even a reason to switch to a 5ds or 5dsr. It is a bummer about the green cast... although I think the images are more than passable for clients if you're exposing properly. For the creative bridal portraits I've been switching to full raw.

quote]Daan B wrote:
My time with the 5Ds was far
...Show more

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.