end

Archive 2016 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

howard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

gdanmitchell wrote:
So, let's just lay it out there.

The 24-70 f/2.8 L is an outstanding lens in optical terms. Stabilize the lens/camera system and it can produce excellent resolution with low levels of various kinds of "distortion" that affect all zoom lenses. I use one now for much of my landscape photography and the combination of that lens and a 51MP sensor and very careful shooting technique allow me to produce very large, high quality prints.

So, wouldn't anyone prefer the 24-70? After all, it is sharper.

Here is where things get tricky and where it is important to think about the whole
...Show more

All good points, but IMO the 24-70 f/4 IS is the best
compromise. The 24-105 is just not that good optically, especially at the wide end -- heavy distortions and vignetting (on my copies, asymmetrical too).

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:42 AM
PhotoTeacher
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

Another item to consider is what will the final use of the photos be? Large prints or social media sharing? Ultimate sharpness is nice, but so is the convenience of one relatively light lens.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:13 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

For travel, I agree that more zoom range and lighter weight should be given greater significance. Unless photography is the purpose of the trip, I often leave the full frame gear at home for those very reasons. As between the 24-70 and 24-105, I think the 24-105 is a better travel lens. But if you can take the increase weight and reduced range, the 2.8 lens IS sharper and does have less distortion.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:15 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

gdanmitchell wrote:
So, let's just lay it out there.

Let's imagine a hypothetical user. This person is going on a European vacation and cannot or doesn't want to bring 4-6 lenses and a large tripod. The person is likely to be shooting mostly or entirely handheld. The photographer will be on foot a lot of the time. Photography is not the primary goal of the travel, but more likely is something done as part of the overall travel activities. Photographs will be shared on social media, emailed to friends and family. They may not ever be printed, or at least not printed larger
...Show more

This is exactly my situation come July, except I do hope to make a few prints from the results (and my printer only goes to 13x19). I am leaning toward the 24-105, as it has been my stalwart walk-around for quite a few years. I just acquired a 16-35 f/4 and am considering taking it as well, but I'm constantly jumping back and forth between it and a fast 50mm specifically for low-light times.
Like my wife spends endless internet hours poring over hotel and restaurant reviews, I spend countless hours shooting different lens combinations and trying to balance weight, portability, and need...
Luckily, it's still kinda humorous, and I know I can't really make a "wrong" decision...

Jerry

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:18 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

I have both lenses and the 24-105 is my go to travel lens. Even though it might not be as technically proficient as the 24-70II, many of my favorite images have been taken with it. It has a better zoom range and the IS makes a significant difference for when I'm shooting loose and free without a tripod.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:43 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

howard wrote:
All good points, but IMO the 24-70 f/4 IS is the best
compromise. The 24-105 is just not that good optically, especially at the wide end -- heavy distortions and vignetting (on my copies, asymmetrical too).

The 24-70 f/4 is certainly another good option to weigh. Among these lenses, it is the one that I have not used. But from what I hear it has very good image quality. (However, for the purpose we have in mind here, all three of the lenses will perform admirably.) The IS will be useful, and it is smaller/lighter than the 24-70 f/2.8.

As to whether the focal range decrease is an issue or not, it probably depends on a few things, including the preferences of the photographer (love that range or rely on something outside of it?) and the other lenses one might wish to carry.

(I've thought that the f/4 24-70 could be an ideal option for serious landscape photographers who backpack with only couple of lenses and pair it with the f/4 70-200mm plus a tripod.)

YMMV,

Dan

Edited on Apr 23, 2016 at 01:59 PM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

gdanmitchell wrote:
The 24-70 f/4 is certainly another good option to weigh. Among these lenses, it is the one that I have not used. But from what I hear it has very good image quality. (However, for the purpose we have in mind here, all three of the lenses will perform admirably.) The IS will be useful, and it is smaller/lighter than the 24-70 f/2.8.

As to whether the focal range decrease is an issue or not, it probably depends on a few things, including the preferences of the photograph (love that range or rely on something outside of it?) and the
...Show more

The range is certainly covered. Since getting my 70-200 II I sold my f4 and use the 55-250 STM for light travel.

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

Based on the love/hate posts regarding the 24-105, I believe there is a large copy to copy variation.
I believe I own a very good copy. When I micro adjusted my 24-70 f/2.8L II and my 24-105 on my 5DSR, I was surprised how close they were in image quality.

Apr 25, 2016 at 09:41 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

Tapeman wrote:
Based on the love/hate posts regarding the 24-105, I believe there is a large copy to copy variation.
I believe I own a very good copy. When I micro adjusted my 24-70 f/2.8L II and my 24-105 on my 5DSR, I was surprised how close they were in image quality.

I've heard that "copy to copy" variation idea before. I can't say I've personally seen enough copies to rule it in or out, but the only places that I've seen that theory mentioned are in photography forums.

I have another theory that might offer a possible explanation, and it is more subjective. A couple of factors tend, I think, the influence the opinions the many will have about the lens. One is the fact that it has long been included in bundles with Canon bodies and even referred to as a "kit lens" — a term that has negative associations for some, especially those who think back to the original version of the inexpensive EFS 18-55mm lens. (The current version of that lens is fine.) So this creates a sort of negative prior assumption about the lens.

Second, the lens does have some characteristics that easy to criticize, namely the vignetting and barrel distortion at the 24mm end of the zoom range. Fortunately, both of these issues are easily dealt with in post on those occasions when they affect the photograph in ways that the photographer notices. Here, though, I have noticed an accidental morphing of these issues (particularly the vignetting) into "bad corners" and then "soft corners."

Another issue is that a fair percentage of people getting this lens are getting their first high quality camera, and their notions of how lenses perform is sometimes not grounded experience. They expect to look at a 100% image straight out of camera and see something that is pin sharp in all cases. That's not the way it works... especially with folks who are a bit new to this and probably shooting handheld.

The optical performance of the lens is actually pretty good. There isn't really a soft corners problem. (Which is not to say that it is the very sharpest lens in the corners — it is fine, but it doesn't lead the pack.)

So I suspect that a good many of the comments (with room for some exceptions where people do have an actual issue) are more about subjective stuff than about the real issues with the lens. (Please note that I wrote "good many" and not "all" in that sentence.)

Edited on Apr 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2016 at 07:50 AM
JohnKS
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

I've spent a few days digesting everything that has been written in response to my original post. I want to thank everyone for spending some time responding to my questions. I wondered if I was opening a can of worms with my post as I've seen the two lenses in question debated in the past. I'm sure I can be easily convinced that the 24-70 v2 is optically sharper than the 24-105. As stated in my original post my main concern is shooting indoors particularly in churches. As of today I think I'll bring my 24-105. As stated earlier by one poster the up to 3 stop capability in low light will probably come in handy while shooting indoors.

In another thread I started another poster recommended trying a mirrorless kit for this trip as did a few posters here. Perhaps I need to take another look at a mirrorless kit as it has been some time, probably 3 years, since I have looked at one. When I first looked at a mirrorless camera I just didn't like the feel of the camera in my hands and didn't think I'd enjoy shooting with it. Did anyone else experience the same thoughts and how did you overcome that initial thought after your purchase? As I believe Dan mentioned earlier the focus of this trip is not photography but one of those bucket list trips with my wife. A lighter kit would probably be a big advantage on a trip such as this. For this trip I'm committed to bringing my 6D, 17-40, 24-105, and a rented 70-200 f/4 IS. I'll toss in my small tripod for early morning and evening shots. We will be in Italy the last two weeks of May and hopefully when I get back I'll have a couple of images worthy of posting.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts, your comments are greatly appreciated.

John

Apr 26, 2016 at 08:23 AM
howard
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

gdanmitchell wrote:
I've heard that "copy to copy" variation idea before. I can't say I've personally seen enough copies to rule it in or out, but the only places that I've seen that theory mentioned are in photography forums.

I have another theory that might offer a possible explanation, and it is more subjective. A couple of factors tend, I think, the influence the opinions the many will have about the lens. One is the fact that it has long been included in bundles with Canon bodies and even referred to as a "kit lens" — a term that has negative associations for some,
...Show more

Two quick points:
1. The copy-to-copy variation is real, though probably not as pronounced as people make it to be. Lensrental did some tests before, you can probably google it.
2. Specifically on the two copies of 24-105 that I had, they actually were pretty similar. I used both on 5D and 5DII, both exhibited asymmetrical vignetting. Incidentally, the worst corner was the lower left if I remember correctly. The 24-70 f/4 vignetting too, but symmetrically so. Symmetrical vignetting is much easier to correct in PP.

Apr 26, 2016 at 08:41 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

In all of the discussion, I failed to recall that I wrote an article about these very comparisons at my website. It has been a pretty popular post.

Another article specifically about photographing with the 24-105 is found here.

About the post above mine... My 24-105 developed a serious softness issue on one side of the frame after several years of heavy use, including being schlepped around in the backcountry. At first I just attributed it to the lens itself being not all that great, forgetting that it had been better initially. Finally — and it was out of warranty at this point — I bit the bullet and sent it to Canon for a look. They adjusted it and when it came back it was really excellent — better than when I originally got it.

Another issue to be aware of with this lens — which, keep in mind, I think is a good and useful lens — is that the zoom mechanism eventually loosens up and the lens will slide in and out too easily, for example extending under its own weight when pointed downwards. Despite what you may have read on the web, there is no easy and effective solution to this. (On many later lenses using this design Canon added either a switch to lock the lens in the wide position, a la the 24-70 II, or some kind of tensioning adjustment, as on 100-400 lenses.)

Dan

Edited on Apr 26, 2016 at 10:45 AM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:38 AM
KSgal

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

On the copy variation thing.. my 24-105 copy is soft at f4 - I always try to stop it down at least to 4.5 as it improves that much, and 5.6 is plenty sharp. I also think what zoom mm I'm at also plays into the sharpness at f4. All to be expected, testing your copy on f stops, and zoom lengths, and learn where you need to help it and it won't be a problem.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:40 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

I still have my 24-105, but very rarely use it. It is TOO heavy for a general travel lens and for my landscapes, at 24mm it just is not sharp enough. This leaves this lens sitting on my shelf with a use for it. There are many more better options that can be had for the different uses of the 24-105.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:54 AM
PhotoTeacher
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

chez wrote:
I still have my 24-105, but very rarely use it. It is TOO heavy for a general travel lens and for my landscapes, at 24mm it just is not sharp enough. This leaves this lens sitting on my shelf with a use for it. There are many more better options that can be had for the different uses of the 24-105.

The lens(es) you use that are sharper and lighter??

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

Crickets... ;-)

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:49 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

gdanmitchell wrote:
In all of the discussion, I failed to recall that I wrote an article about these very comparisons at my website. It has been a pretty popular post.

Another article specifically about photographing with the 24-105 is found here.

About the post above mine... My 24-105 developed a serious softness issue on one side of the frame after several years of heavy use, including being schlepped around in the backcountry. At first I just attributed it to the lens itself being not all that great, forgetting that it had been better initially. Finally — and it was out of warranty at this point
...Show more

I use a wide rubber band over the edge of the zoom ring and the housing and that stops any creep. It also adds a bit of tension when zooming which I like.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:46 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon 24-105 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ii question

I'll leave the increasingly long essays to others who have more time on their hands, but suffice it to say that I wish Canon would work their vII magic on the 24-105. I use it for travel when I need to go light, but that's the extent of its use for me. It would be the perfect travel lens if Canon would just free it of its numerous quirks.

Apr 28, 2016 at 08:39 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.