Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of ...

Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

Oh, there's a tree. There's a bridge! There's a bird! Never mind, it's a plane.
...Oh and then there's poor Fred who pays for memory on these kind of threads...

Apr 22, 2016 at 06:41 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

hoothoot wrote:
How about a new form of photographic art no one has ever seen before?
How many people in this world of ours get the opportunity to bring something new to the world?
Very few maybe.
Are you one of the few?

I suspect that the few hundred - or few dozen - or 7, if that, photographers who have done what you imply in the past decade or so wouldn't be inclined in an exactly hand-wringing fashion to reply to this particular post.

On the other hand, if we recompose slightly - if you have no objection, hoot... and you shouldn't because your question, while interesting to most of us was phrased a tad too extreme and folks are just poking at it. But I think I may understand and appreciate where you're coming from.

So, for the sake of discussion, how many of us do reflect on the fact that some of our subjects... particularly iconic, well-known vistas, landmarks, buildings, etc, have been photographed thousands or millions of times before?

...most of which will have been under more favorable or interesting conditions than we are able to create or happen upon.

What do we achieve?... a meaningful personal memory?... a record of our witness?... our particular interpretation?

Or is it not about achievement? Is it simply I was there, I saw this, I had a camera and it's no big deal?

For those who reflect on these things and wish for something that feels more original, where do we turn? What do we do instead? And does it better satisfy?

Those questions resonate with me.

How bout you guys?

Edit: as for the appropriate forum, everyone knows Nikon dudes and dudettes are the deepest thinkers so I don't find it entirely misplaced.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:08 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

I once read about a guy who took an empty 35mm film container, poked a tiny pinhole in one end, and attached a small square of film on the other end. This made a tiny pinhole camera. He then stuck it up his butt and would bend over to take a photo. He called it his "butt cam." Does this count?

Kent in SD

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:30 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

Two23 wrote:
I once read about a guy who took an empty 35mm film container, poked a tiny pinhole in one end, and attached a small square of film on the other end. This made a tiny pinhole camera. He then stuck it up his butt and would bend over to take a photo. He called it his "butt cam." Does this count?

Kent in SD

I think so. Maybe I should have said 8 instead of 7.

Man I love learning new stuff

And, perfect case in point. The guy's got a foreign object "there". He's not likely to be consumed with replying to this thread while said object is in place.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:39 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

nolaguy wrote:
I think so. Maybe I should have said 8 instead of 7.

Man I love learning new stuff

Not sure how practical the Butt Cam would be. Might be OK for landscapes, but it would probably attract too much attention if using it for "street shooting" on a subway platform etc.

Kent in SD

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:56 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

Two23 wrote:
Not sure how practical the Butt Cam would be. Might be OK for landscapes, but it would probably attract too much attention if using it for "street shooting" on a subway platform etc.

Kent, buddy, you need to make it back to the French Quarter. No one would even notice.

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:59 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

Laugh out loud!!!

A DIY colonoscopy?

Have to think deeply about that

Apr 23, 2016 at 01:27 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

jancohen wrote:
Laugh out loud!!!

A DIY colonoscopy?

Have to think deeply about that

Just flip the darn thing around and save yourself the doctor visit.

Priceless.

Wait. We need a speedlight. Ouch.

Apr 23, 2016 at 02:17 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

Wow, this thread started bad and just got worse.

Apr 23, 2016 at 02:29 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

nolaguy wrote:
So, for the sake of discussion, how many of us do reflect on the fact that some of our subjects... particularly iconic, well-known vistas, landmarks, buildings, etc, have been photographed thousands or millions of times before?

...most of which will have been under more favorable or interesting conditions than we are able to create or happen upon.

What do we achieve?... a meaningful personal memory?... a record of our witness?... our particular interpretation?

Or is it not about achievement? Is it simply I was there, I saw this, I had a camera and it's no big deal?

For those who reflect on these things
...Show more

Okay, that brief banter was fun but to try to get back to something more meaningful, hoot hasn't objected to a bit of a tangent here so I'll quote my own reply and offer my thoughts.

When I decided to get back into photography in a more serious way, my two keen interests were architecture and people - portraiture, specifically. I had an entry-level DSLR around my neck a few years earlier in Venice and had the good fortune of some really moody fog one early morning in Venice. I loved the train station shots in particular - and from early childhood had an interest in certain genres of architecture.... annnd, I love old stuff. Things with history, and preferably decay.

The French Quarter, it's style, it's erosion, it's flavor and smell... goodness, it screams at me. First trip to Venice I was like, holy cow, this is the FQ on steroids.

Similarly, SF, NY, old barns, certain architectural styles (NOT, Frank Lloyd Wright, thank you very much) just massage my soul and tug at my heart.

So I get my first D7000 and shoot Italy, then New Orleans, and both episodes were hugely disappointing. Partially because I didn't really know what I was doing, but also because the weather didn't favor as it had during the aforementioned Venice trip.

I was so bummed. And it made me immediately think of how many countless images on poster.com there were of the shots I wanted to take that were $10 and likely better than I would ever capture if for no other reason than favorable weather.

That's a point we could debate and discuss ad nauseam, I know, but for me, the answer to my question above was to turn more of my energy and focus to what I could capture than no one else would - if only because I was there at that moment in time and no one else was - my other strong interest, portraiture.

I'll quit rambling on but it has been immensely joyful to me - to learn people and personalities and inflect my own eye into witnessing and recording their existence. Pity it's not more profitable, but it never fails to strum my heart and make me smile.

So, again guys and gals, what's your story?

Apr 23, 2016 at 02:39 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

gdsf2 wrote:
Wow, this thread started bad and just got worse.

You want worse, watch The Road to Wellville

Apr 23, 2016 at 02:42 PM
hoothoot

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

My avatar is a being, an Angel , call him what you will, he appeared after months of experiments and a few thousand clicks later you have what I call God of fire, and then my journey into what I call Flame Art began, a new form of art for our world.
At the time I was developing this I was very and deeply depressed, it was my therapy, out of great sadness can come enlightenment, which is what happened to me.
Anything is possible if we allow ourselves to just trust in ourselves and our universe.
I enjoy, and hope to inspire others into what's possible, not all of us are creative photographically. But far more are than they realise.

Apr 23, 2016 at 02:45 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

hoothoot wrote:
My avatar is a being, an Angel , call him what you will, he appeared after months of experiments and a few thousand clicks later you have what I call God of fire, and then my journey into what I call Flame Art began, a new form of art for our world.
At the time I was developing this I was very and deeply depressed, it was my therapy, out of great sadness can come enlightenment, which is what happened to me.
Anything is possible if we allow ourselves to just trust in ourselves and our universe.
I enjoy, and hope to inspire
...Show more

T h a t - is a worthwhile post. Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming hoot. Wish you had led with that and I apologize if I trivialized where you were going in my pseudo redirection.

Regards and welcome,

Chuck

Apr 23, 2016 at 02:51 PM
hoothoot

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

No worries my friend, I didn't mention it at first because it's not about me, it's about us as photographers, artists I prefer to call us all, and we all have inspiration as our trusted guide if we open ourselves to it.

nolaguy wrote:
T h a t - is a worthwhile post. Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming hoot. Wish you had led with that and I apologize if I trivialized where you were going in my pseudo redirection.

Regards and welcome,

Chuck

Apr 23, 2016 at 02:54 PM
Rags Hef
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

Good post Hoothoot...

You're in a documentary photographer forum and some refuse to recognize " photography art" (original frames using parts of documentary photos)

My answer to your original post is yes, here's my example

https://ragspix.smugmug.com/Art/PHOTOGRAPHIC-ART/n-d9DpL/i-C6VdqDg/0/X3/i-C6VdqDg-X3.jpg

That is Michelangelo's God from the Sistine Chapel ceiling throwing wine over the vineyards

D...

You might like to step in the Abstract forum ... more examples and some nice stuff

Rags

Apr 23, 2016 at 03:11 PM
hoothoot

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

Oh I see, thank you.
I appreciate the image you have just posted, my Avatar is not software produced, not a Photoshop creation, it is 100% a photograph.
Unbelievable to most I know, infact I also would have my doubts , if it wasn't me that captured this manifestation in the flames.

Rags Hef wrote:

Good post Hoothoot...

You're in a documentary photographer forum and some refuse to recognize " photography art" (original frames using parts of documentary photos)

My answer to your original post is yes, here's my example

https://ragspix.smugmug.com/Art/PHOTOGRAPHIC-ART/n-d9DpL/i-C6VdqDg/0/X3/i-C6VdqDg-X3.jpg

That is Michelangelo's God from the Sistine Chapel ceiling throwing wine over the vineyards

D...

You might like to step in the Abstract forum ... more examples and some nice stuff

Rags

Apr 23, 2016 at 03:16 PM
hoothoot

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · How many of you out there have Invented / Created a totally new form of photographic Art?

Great post, thanks for sharing, and yes your craving to find something not before photographed is wonderful and drives you to stand out from the crowd, I commend you my friend 😊

nolaguy wrote:
Okay, that brief banter was fun but to try to get back to something more meaningful, hoot hasn't objected to a bit of a tangent here so I'll quote my own reply and offer my thoughts.

When I decided to get back into photography in a more serious way, my two keen interests were architecture and people - portraiture, specifically. I had an entry-level DSLR around my neck a few years earlier in Venice and had the good fortune of some really moody fog one early morning in Venice. I loved the train station shots in particular - and from early
...Show more

Apr 23, 2016 at 03:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.