68              75       76       end

Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

Viramati
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.67 #1 · p.67 #1 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

berni29 wrote:
Hi Guys

Does anyone know approx where the serial numbers on the later good 15mm LM mount vIII's start approximately please?

Many thanks!

Berni

No idea but mine has the sn. 8541753 and is very good and I bought it not that long after they were released

Jan 11, 2017 at 05:53 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.67 #2 · p.67 #2 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

Aztatlan wrote:
So this morning I bought this lens at B&H and a quick test outside the store showed obvious corner smearing. I tried two other copies and neither was great - one about the same and one better but not as good as it can be. 3/3 bad ones for me. QC still appears to need some work.

That does not sound good. I guess I am glad I never bought one of these due to the QC issues and went with the 12mm instead. the 12mm is really good tho I am left with a fairly large gap between 12 and 21.

Jan 11, 2017 at 06:16 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.67 #3 · p.67 #3 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

Luvwine wrote:
That does not sound good. I guess I am glad I never bought one of these due to the QC issues and went with the 12mm instead. the 12mm is really good tho I am left with a fairly large gap between 12 and 21.

It's a real shame, as the 15 is part of my lens strategy for E mount. I am thinking I might go play the lotto at Adorama; I tried three copies at B&H and when I originally bought the lens the assistant said they only had "a few" left so the pool of remaining lenses is probably low.

I'd love to own the 12 as a "nice to have" lens and I am sure I would use it at times, but it would be too wide for regular work for me so it's not going to make the cut I don't think, at least not now.

Jan 12, 2017 at 01:28 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.67 #4 · p.67 #4 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

Aztatlan wrote:
It's a real shame, as the 15 is part of my lens strategy for E mount. I am thinking I might go play the lotto at Adorama; I tried three copies at B&H and when I originally bought the lens the assistant said they only had "a few" left so the pool of remaining lenses is probably low.

I'd love to own the 12 as a "nice to have" lens and I am sure I would use it at times, but it would be too wide for regular work for me so it's not going to make the cut I don't
...Show more

Try Cameraquest. Mr Gandy is a really nice guy, and will work with you as well. He ships overnight too. If you're going to buy Voigtlander and buy new, that's definitely where you should go. I bought my CV15 from him from the first issue. I got lucky and got a really good one.

Jan 12, 2017 at 02:13 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.67 #5 · p.67 #5 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

I'd be happy to try them, except as I am only holidaying in the US, being able to buy from the brick and mortar stores of B&H / Adorama really helps expedite the returns process on a lens known for many defective copies. I can't really wait for overnight shipping to test it, then have to overnight it back for another copy, etc.

Jan 12, 2017 at 02:38 AM
berni29

p.67 #6 · p.67 #6 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

To Viramati, thank you very much for that.

To the contributors of this thread, I have a copy of the vII and vIII LM version of these lenses. Both have smeary extreme corners, but to me they are acceptable, especially on a lens of this type. I have let go of this issue and just enjoy using the lens. The vIII I bought after having read this thread. I did test it first because I did not want a horrible copy, but a bit of smearing is OK. So is the vignetting, which is a fair bit better on the vIII as we all know.

Would I rather have a perfect copy?, I guess so, but really my limited brain power is better off being used to improve my photography, being relaxed and just enjoying myself.

Having said that we are all different. I have a classic 1994 993 Porsche with stone chips and many blemishes. I love driving it. I have a very good friend with classic cars. He polishes them constantly (even the bits you really cannot see) but never drives them. He derives his pleasure from the hobby in a different way from me.

I will post up some corners of my vIII just to add to the database and thread.

Jan 12, 2017 at 02:41 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.67 #7 · p.67 #7 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

I picked up a 4th copy of this lens at Adorama today. Ability to test has been hampered by the fact it's night time but so far I'd say it's easily the best copy of the four I've tried. The lower right hand corner appears slightly softer than the other three, however I am not sure it's enough of a problem for me to either notice in real world shooting, or to bother rolling the dice yet again on the copy roulette. There is definitely none of the usual smearing evident in this copy, just evidence of slight decentering. I will test further in better light tomorrow and make a call on keeping it or not.

Jan 13, 2017 at 03:42 AM
pplskills
• • •
p.67 #8 · p.67 #8 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

My widest lens right now is the Loxia 21mm. Couldn't I just shoot a panorama and get a FOV ~ to what the 15mm might give me? I don't know if I can really justify having the loxia 21mm and the 15mm. The Loxia has such great image quality. Thoughts?

Jan 13, 2017 at 04:26 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.67 #9 · p.67 #9 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

pplskills wrote:
My widest lens right now is the Loxia 21mm. Couldn't I just shoot a panorama and get a FOV ~ to what the 15mm might give me? I don't know if I can really justify having the loxia 21mm and the 15mm. The Loxia has such great image quality. Thoughts?

It depends on your level of GAS! I have the Laowa 12, CV15, Loxia 21 (followed by a 28, 35, 40, 50 and 55). And many have multiples at a given FL. 😜

Jan 13, 2017 at 04:32 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.67 #10 · p.67 #10 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

rji2goleez wrote:
It depends on your level of GAS! I have the Laowa 12, CV15, Loxia 21 (followed by a 28, 35, 40, 50 and 55). And many have multiples at a given FL. 😜

Looks like you think there's enough difference between 12 and 15 to have both. I have 10 and 15; the Voigtlander 12 looks very nice (and seems to have better quality to the edges than the 10), but my thought has been that all 3 would be overkill. Obviously the 10 is a LOT wider than the 15. If you also had a 10, would you think it worth having all 3? Just curiosity, nothing more

Jan 13, 2017 at 04:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.67 #11 · p.67 #11 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Looks like you think there's enough difference between 12 and 15 to have both. I have 10 and 15; the Voigtlander 12 looks very nice (and seems to have better quality to the edges than the 10), but my thought has been that all 3 would be overkill. Obviously the 10 is a LOT wider than the 15. If you also had a 10, would you think it worth having all 3? Just curiosity, nothing more

I decided against all three. I sold my 10 and bought the Laowa 12 because I wanted as faster (f/2.8) lens for Astro. My 15 is just so nice so I wouldn't sell it.

Jan 13, 2017 at 01:18 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.67 #12 · p.67 #12 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

My 4th copy went back, further testing sadly confirmed fairly significant decentering was present. Out of interest I also compared it in the extreme corners with my Tamron 15-30 (adapted to Sony) at f8. This compares the worst corner of my most recent copy with my Tamron.

To be fair the other corners were much better than this one, although still no match for the 15-30. That is a lens many times larger and heavier though.

VC15III - worst corner on copy 4

Tamron 15-30 @ 15/f8

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:06 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.67 #13 · p.67 #13 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

My M mount 15III has started to show some play in the front end, anyone else have this show up?
It's one of my most used lenses, so I'm not surprised since most lenses are not immune to issues after heavy use.

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:02 AM
dan nimbus

p.67 #14 · p.67 #14 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

Just got a new E mount CV15 from a local shop and I saw this post on my way home. My immediate reaction is like, damn I should have read this post before I go buy it!

The sample pictures of CV15 that tempted me so much into buying the lens this afternoon were obviously from Choppy or its cousins. Actually I just bought a loxia 21 a few days ago but I miss my Zeiss 18... so I didnt give a second thought when I saw the sample pictures. I had no idea that Choppy is actually so unique.

Back home tonight I took a few pictures with CV15. Smearing extreme corners are a bit terrible when I shoot out of the window. Can't say it is bad or average as I see that smearing corners are actually quite common for this lens. Put away the actual IQ I got, it is more disappointing or even sad that someone who bought lens would have to do his own test to see if the copy is good or bad... This reminds me of my previous mediocre VM35/1.2 which never gave sharp image at infinity. With the price tag CV should do way better than this.

Jan 18, 2017 at 04:06 PM
dan nimbus

p.67 #15 · p.67 #15 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

Did some test shots during lunch break. Got no time for cropping but smearing corners are obvious enough without any cropping.
First shot at f/4.5, second at f/8. Differences are too trivial to be noticed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/P3H5E3

f/4.5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/A906DE

f/8

Jan 20, 2017 at 02:47 AM
berni29

p.67 #16 · p.67 #16 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

Hi There

Yes you certainly do have some smearing there. Perhaps more than my (acceptable to me ) copy (VM mount).

I said in a previous post I would upload my corners to add to the database, so here we are. Plus a couple of very recent shots. I do love this lens, although I am still learning how to use it, and my photographic skills are limited.

Some of the more close up shots do not seem to have any corner distortion (that I can see) at all.

https://ibb.co/nmXS8v
https://ibb.co/gJmb1F
https://ibb.co/k70Eov
https://ibb.co/eOnS8v
https://ibb.co/k3478v
https://ibb.co/kTmb1F
https://ibb.co/hZ9w1F
https://ibb.co/k0zw1F
https://ibb.co/efM9MF

Tks

Berni

Jan 20, 2017 at 05:05 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.67 #17 · p.67 #17 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

Considering a purchase of this lens, but the corner issue has me more than a bit leery (vendor offers a 30 day return policy, and they say it tested ok on an A7)

Had to return two copies of the SY14mm for bad corners and while that lens is much more affordable for someone like me, who doesn’t shoot this wide very often, I'd hope a lens costing 2-3x more would be significantly better.

Shame, because I love my Nokton 35 F1.2

Jan 20, 2017 at 06:36 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.67 #18 · p.67 #18 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

^ Don't give up so easily. It's a great optic. You might expect that even the best among them will have 'some' stretching depending on composition. I have a CV15 from the original release and it is of 'choppy' quality. But there are some comps that no matter what, will show stretching which is different from smearing. I love mine.

Jan 20, 2017 at 07:03 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.67 #19 · p.67 #19 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

If I were ordering again, I'd get it from Stephen at CameraQuest. I got mine from him a few months ago, just after he received a fresh batch. That way, you don't have to wonder whether you'll get one from old stock, and even if there were still a problem with a new one, he has a no-problem return policy.

Jan 20, 2017 at 07:22 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.67 #20 · p.67 #20 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

Yup, when I returned my 15/4.5 III to Stephen he gave me a $50 voucher that I applied to a 10/5.6 I am keeping. Not feeling lucky playing roulette I made Guy an offer for Choppy he didn't refuse. So. now I use the VM-mount Choppy with the TAP autofocus and my E-mount 10/5.6 with manual focus. Both work out well for me.

K-H.

Jan 20, 2017 at 07:40 PM
1       2       3              66      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              66      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password