FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              81       82       end

Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

MIRANDA1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

First off, thank you very much Fred for taking the time to run these tests. It kind of confirms what I suspected, I have both the VC15 III in M-mount as well as the Zeiss Distagon ZE, I originally bought the VC just because of it's size, I was looking for a much more friendlier travel lens however I didn't expect to to match the Zeiss especially in terms of corner performance.
I was hoping that the new FE mount version of the VC would have improved the corner performance but based on your samples it looks very similar to the M-mount version. The Zeiss is really a very fine lens but a pain to travel with, filters are difficult to find and very expensive but I love the output of this lens.

Apr 22, 2016 at 04:20 PM
jamato8
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

No comparison from me but I shoot the M mount 15III a lot on the A7RII and all I can say is that my copy is extremely sharp, so much so I am amazed. I can go to 100 percent and it holds up beyond what I would have expected on color, contrast and in other areas. I also have the good fortune, though it almost was a fortune, to have an extremely good 11-24L. I must say that the A7RII has opened up many new areas of lens use for me. And I reiterate, the 15 to me, is an exception lens and I have no desire to move to the E mount.

Apr 22, 2016 at 04:43 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

I may update just to update if for no other reason. I like being native and I'm over the adapters. But that's me

Apr 22, 2016 at 04:46 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

GMPhotography wrote:
I may update just to update if for no other reason. I like being native and I'm over the adapters. But that's me

Yes, I wouldn't be as much interested in upgrading if Sony would update their firmware so that the focal length set in the IBIS for a non-CPU lens was reported in the EXIF - that's just pure laziness on their part.

I think adapters are a pain as well and add to overall weight of the system.

So if I get the 15/4.5-III E and a 35/2.8 Sony for my A7RII then I'll have at least two lenses that don't need adapters. My 75/2.5 Summarit and 135/3.4 APO Leica will still need them however.

I've pinged the folks at Leitax about coming out with an E mount adapter that has the chip in it so that I don't have to put the focal length into IBIS every time I switch lenses. Some enterprising person will do this eventually.

Apr 22, 2016 at 05:48 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Yes, Thanks Fred!

Apr 22, 2016 at 05:51 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Yea I grabbed a Rokinon 135 used today to hold me over till something new. Now this lens needs IBIS but it's as dead as a nail on the wall.

jhinkey wrote:
Yes, I wouldn't be as much interested in upgrading if Sony would update their firmware so that the focal length set in the IBIS for a non-CPU lens was reported in the EXIF - that's just pure laziness on their part.

I think adapters are a pain as well and add to overall weight of the system.

So if I get the 15/4.5-III E and a 35/2.8 Sony for my A7RII then I'll have at least two lenses that don't need adapters. My 75/2.5 Summarit and 135/3.4 APO Leica will still need them however.

I've pinged the folks at Leitax about coming out
...Show more

Apr 22, 2016 at 07:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

GMPhotography wrote:
Yea I grabbed a Rokinon 135 used today to hold me over till something new. Now this lens needs IBIS but it's as dead as a nail on the wall.

After the surprising performance I got from the C/Y 35-70/3.4, I decided to pick up 2 more Contax lenses. The 100/3.5 and 28/2.8. The 100mm is tiny and I will compare to my 70-200/4 and 135/2L lenses. The Contax 28/2.8 is a wildcard and I'll put it to the test against the FE 28/2. Should be interesting.

Apr 22, 2016 at 07:38 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Interested in the 28 Fred that would solve a few issues. Maybe put it against the GM at 28.

Apr 22, 2016 at 08:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

GMPhotography wrote:
Interested in the 28 Fred that would solve a few issues. Maybe put it against the GM at 28.

Yes, good idea.

Apr 22, 2016 at 08:03 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

I'm not sure how to feel about this lens.

The corner performance, secondary color, strong vignetting, or small max aperture would feel like an acceptable compromise for the impressively small size. But all four? Not so much. Especially those last two which I feel should never go together.

But then, it's not just the size but the price which is considerably smaller.

I'm on the fence.

The big thing about this review to me though is that I figured this revision would have optical tweaks.

Apr 22, 2016 at 08:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
I am getting the Batis 18 for testing but from the MTF, I can already tell, it should perform much better than the CV 15 towards the edges. It looks like it could be similar to the Loxia 21 and that would be an incredible feat for a much wider lens. It will be interesting to see how it compares on field curvature and astigmatism. The Batis 18 could be the best native ultra wide for the E-mount but I still need 15mm for my needs. I hate to drag the Distagon 15/2.8ZE but sometimes, it's the ticket. Weighting
...Show more

Okay, I'll bite on the WATE!

Apr 22, 2016 at 08:35 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

@ quarter resolution on A7r2:

@ half resolution: https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2015-10-31-A7r2WATE-Los/i-Hr9CwFG/0/O/_DSC5585_Bosque_7952x5304_3976x2652.jpg
@ full resolution :https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2015-10-31-A7r2WATE-Los/i-t74TmNJ/0/O/_DSC5585_Bosque_7952x5304.jpg

Apr 22, 2016 at 08:37 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

One more with A7r2 + WATE.

Apr 22, 2016 at 08:58 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Lee Saxon wrote:
I'm not sure how to feel about this lens.

The corner performance, secondary color, strong vignetting, or small max aperture would feel like an acceptable compromise for the impressively small size. But all four? Not so much. Especially those last two which I feel should never go together.

But then, it's not just the size but the price which is considerably smaller.

I'm on the fence.

The big thing about this review to me though is that I figured this revision would have optical tweaks.

Lee - compared to my relatively tiny 20/2.8 AIS the 15/4.5 is winner in all those areas, so performance is a relative thing. For some of use, me most particularly, small size/weight with very very very decent IQ is a winner. Its CA can be fixed. Weak corners can be cropped out or placed in unimportant areas of the frame, f/4.5 is workable with today's great high ISO cameras, and I've not found the vignetting to be problematic (unless I'm greatly lifting the shadows of an underexposed part of an image, then oh . . .).

Andi it makes great sun-stars!

I realize that the things I am willing to compromise on are far more important to others that to me. No "perfect" super wide yet made

Apr 22, 2016 at 09:13 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Remember we are talking extreme corners. My guess 90 percent of the time you would not notice it anyway

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:01 PM
Kirin

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

I just wish it were a little faster for astro work. But then I guess it would be much larger too.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:08 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Thanks for the quick review Fred.
I'm still very happy with the M mount CV15III, and I'm eagerly awaiting the 10mm, Stephen Gandy is expecting it around the end of May, and the new 12 around the end of June. (Assuming no delays)

Kirin wrote:
I just wish it were a little faster for astro work. But then I guess it would be much larger too.

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/voigtlander-15mm-f4-5-heliar-iii-astrophotography-review/
@30 seconds:

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:48 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

jhinkey wrote:
Lee - compared to my relatively tiny 20/2.8 AIS the 15/4.5 is winner in all those areas, so performance is a relative thing. For some of use, me most particularly, small size/weight with very very very decent IQ is a winner. Its CA can be fixed. Weak corners can be cropped out or placed in unimportant areas of the frame, f/4.5 is workable with today's great high ISO cameras, and I've not found the vignetting to be problematic (unless I'm greatly lifting the shadows of an underexposed part of an image, then oh . . .).

Andi it makes great sun-stars!

I
...Show more

That's why I love the CV 15/4.5III. Sunstar and flare resistance. It matches the Loxia line very nicely. When the situation comes where have the sun in the frame, it's my best option. The E-mount version looks so go on the A7RII but the best feature is the added functionality.

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:14 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Too much talking how about some images. Lol

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:26 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

As I said a few times I really don't have a extreme corner issue at least not in the mid zone. Why I love this lens. Here are some more

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:42 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.