FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
       20              81       82       end

Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #1 · p.19 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

OK, I wasn't satisfied shooting through a dirty window so I re-shot. And my lens aspires to be just like Choppy! Test image @ f/8 with 1:1 crops of upper left and lower right. SOOC + Lens Profile + CA applied. I'm liking my results.

I think we need more of these results in this thread so that others can buy with confidence.

Test Image

Upper Left

Lower right

Apr 29, 2016 at 12:55 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.19 #2 · p.19 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

A new virgin Choppy. Lol

Looks great , you can go wash your car now and not worry. Lol

Let me ask a question though as in a sense we can't go by Fred's lenses because they were defective. I'm curious about CA. I know you corrected it but how was it I corrected . Let's say did it go away by 5.6 or 8 or how much was or not there. I'm trying to judge against Choppy the M mount and if the E mount addressed the CA or not. I tend to think it did not but just asking for completeness. We can have Fred check this as well since he has a lot of raws from Choppy to compare against. Outside everything else be nice to see some optical improvement

Apr 29, 2016 at 01:23 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.19 #3 · p.19 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Guy, All I did was check the CA box in lightroom. There wasn't much there to begin with. Here's the uncorrected and then corrected. The metal pole with the meter number shows CA on the left side. It's very subtle at f/8. I'll have to do more tests at f/4.5 and 5.6

CA Uncorrected

CA Corrected (Remove CA box checked in LR)

Apr 29, 2016 at 01:28 PM
brunobarolo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #4 · p.19 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

I think with all these tests shown now, it would be useful always to mention the camera the lens was used with. 12mp vs 24mp vs 36 or 42 mp, that makes quite a difference.

Apr 29, 2016 at 01:55 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.19 #5 · p.19 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

brunobarolo wrote:
I think with all these tests shown now, it would be useful always to mention the camera the lens was used with. 12mp vs 24mp vs 36 or 42 mp, that makes quite a difference.

Good idea. All my tests are on the A7r2 (42mp) using Sony compressed raw format setting.

Apr 29, 2016 at 01:59 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.19 #6 · p.19 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

rji2goleez wrote:
Guy, All I did was check the CA box in lightroom. There wasn't much there to begin with. Here's the uncorrected and then corrected. The metal pole with the meter number shows CA on the left side. It's very subtle at f/8. I'll have to do more tests at f/4.5 and 5.6

Actually there maybe some improvement there, its not bad. Thanks

Oh Choppy made it home safely from that Choppy Stalker in California.

Apr 29, 2016 at 02:01 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.19 #7 · p.19 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Okay never judge a lens by its owners dremel work.

Choppy does clean up nice in the end..

Actually I could repaint it but I like its charm.

These are at the Petal has been removed and its down to a 58mm thread as normal. Right here you could do your Lee Filter systems or you can do it at 67mm, 72,77 or whatever you want with a simple step ring. Choppy was designed for larger filters in mind and a hood to boot.

Apr 29, 2016 at 02:49 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.19 #8 · p.19 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Now Choppy gets the dressing a 58mm to 67mm Step up ring which hides all the front work done to it . Plus I added a extra blank 67mm ring for a hood but at 67mm you might get by with two slim filters taking the empty ring off or if you went 72mm filters you can certainly go two glass screw in filters. Lee system I would say 67mm but even 72mm would be okay

Edited on Apr 29, 2016 at 02:53 PM · View previous versions

Apr 29, 2016 at 02:53 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.19 #9 · p.19 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Nice job Guy. The lens itself now has as much character as the images it produces!

Apr 29, 2016 at 02:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.19 #10 · p.19 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Yea it does. I messed up as i slipped with grinding it so the side got scratched. Now I know how to avoid that so it would be cleaner. But it is what it is and as we have seen, she is killer good. I will sell her as soon as i can find the proper replacement. I do want the E mount but the M mount has some advantages. Leica cameras obviously, the VC close up adapter can only be used on the M. So for some folks this maybe the one they want. But the beauty here is if your a filter type person you get a lot of options without the petals on. And its already done and certainly tested
. She does need to be cleaned up and I'm doing that now.

Oh and i shot this with the new GM 85 replacement with a Vello 10mm extension tube. So that works a charm too

So this is the famous Choppy lens thats been the hit or maybe better said the gold standard of the VC 15mm III in this thread.

Apr 29, 2016 at 02:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.19 #11 · p.19 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

BTW: My CameraQuest replacement came and seems to be choppy-like.

I will post a comparison between the choppy and my E-mount. I'm waiting for similar lighting...

Apr 29, 2016 at 04:17 PM
brendans
• •
p.19 #12 · p.19 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Kirin wrote:
Can you point to some macros with this lens? I'd love to see some.
The Laowa 15mm macro lens also have me quite interested, but I'm guessing it won't have the quality of the voigtlander

Here's one from the drive home today. It was pretty breezy and raining and I accidentally had it on some weird jpg setting, but you get the idea. I like being able to capture the surrounding landscape and habitat.

edit: obviously this isn't really a "macro" but even here I was very close. This lens surely isn't optimized for really close focus but it seems to do fine in shots like this.

Apr 29, 2016 at 05:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.19 #13 · p.19 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

So, my CV 15/4.5 III E-mount replacement seems to perform well. (light-years from my previous copies towards the corners)

I compared it directly to "Choppy" using the same framing and lighting.

The CV 15/4.5 III has a minimum field curvature but it can be seen at f/4.5. It's outwards, meaning, the center plane is slightly further from the edges. At f/5.6 and especially f/8, this is pretty much unnoticeable, being masked by DOF.

About Choppy:
Choppy is well-centered and its true infinity is a tad before the infinity hard stop (for the corners).

About my second E-mount version:
It's also well-centered but its true infinity is at the hard stop. (moving away from the hard stop does not improve the extreme edges from my focus bracketing tests)

Both lenses look pretty much identical at center and mid-field areas.

Here is a comparison between both lenses at f/8 for the extreme edges only.
I did not apply any extra sharpening, so this is LR default (25, 1, 25, 0). I didn't want to increase noise which could be perceived as extra detail. Adding my LR sharpening improved the edges considerably but for this comparison I wanted to keep things as unprocessed as possible.

There were NO lens profile correction applied in-camera nor Lightroom. So both crops show extreme corners uncorrected. It's interesting to notice that the E-mount version does show the same level of LaCA which is more evident on Choppy's. This is interesting since all corrections were OFF in-camera and Lightroom. Perhaps something is being done automatically to the RAW file....or there is actually an improvement...not sure yet)

Apr 29, 2016 at 08:07 PM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.19 #14 · p.19 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Fred
Wow that does look promising! I hope my e-mount version on order can produce extreme corners like this too! Gives us some hope that good copies of this lens are out there. Thanks for posting.

Apr 29, 2016 at 08:23 PM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.19 #15 · p.19 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

Good stuff.

Apr 29, 2016 at 08:25 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.19 #16 · p.19 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

With CA removal, "Choppy" and your new e-mount perform very similar. The lack of CA in the corner has me thinking there must be CA correction going on somewhere.

Good to know there are good copies of the e-mount available. I sold my VC15 m-mount to get the new VC12 in e-mount. I hope it performs close to the VC15. I don't expect it to be as good, but somewhere in the same ballpark would be nice. If it doesn't satisfy, I will get the VC15 e-mount.

Apr 29, 2016 at 08:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.19 #17 · p.19 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

pdmphoto wrote:
With CA removal, "Choppy" and your new e-mount perform very similar. The lack of CA in the corner has me thinking there must be CA correction going on somewhere.

Good to know there are good copies of the e-mount available. I sold my VC15 m-mount to get the new VC12 in e-mount. I hope it performs close to the VC15. I don't expect it to be as good, but somewhere in the same ballpark would be nice. If it doesn't satisfy, I will get the VC15 e-mount.

The optical formula seems to be identical for both versions so I'm not sure how CA is much better for this E-mount copy.
My A7RII has all corrections turned 'off' (CA, distortion and vignetting). In Lightroom I used default settings for the above crops and no profile was applied. Perhaps corrections are still being applied to the RAW file but that's just speculation on my part.

Apr 29, 2016 at 08:57 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.19 #18 · p.19 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

I'm at a show so can't see on iPhone but my guess as I was looking at others E mount shots I was noticing less CA. My guess is there cooking the Raws some since it is a native mount and can actually communicate something might be applied to them. Glad to see Fred has a good copy now.

Apr 29, 2016 at 09:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.19 #19 · p.19 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

This is interesting. In Lightroom I have "Enable Profile Corrections" disabled but look at the bottom...
It reads: "Built-in lens profile applied"...

My A7RII has "Lens Comp." set to "Off" for "Shading Comp.", "Chro. Aber. Comp." and "Distortion Comp.".

Apr 29, 2016 at 09:50 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.19 #20 · p.19 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 III E-mount

I've noticed that too. And sometimes, when I apply a profile, the image adjusts anyway!

Apr 29, 2016 at 09:53 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.