New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Softening LED video lights

FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Softening LED video lights

I own several lighting modifiers for photography, notably two large Paul C Buff octaboxes, a small one, a Westcott rapid box as well as several umbrellas (reflective and shoot through, of all sizes, from 12" all the way to 7' parabolic ones)

I recently bought a LED video light with barn doors for my video work:
https://www.photo-store.net/photography/led-lights/yongnuo-yn600l-ii-pro-led-light-3200-5500k/

I'm wondering how I could ghetto rig one of my octaboxes to work with this to soften the light a bit.

Anyone has any idea on how I could ghetto rig something?

Apr 21, 2016 at 08:50 AM
ChipThome
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Softening LED video lights

I wouldn't try to adapt you current modifiers but would look at draping some diffuser material attached at the top and hanging down. There shouldn't be any heat issues, try running them for a hour and check by touch first to make sure. If you have a beater shoot thru umbrella, consider hacking that up for the material you need.

Otherwise, a cheapie Chinese reflector that has a diffuser panel attached to a light stand set ahead of it.

Apr 23, 2016 at 03:02 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Softening LED video lights

Just tape a piece of diffusion paper over the light and you'll have a nice, soft effect.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31925-REG/Lowel_T1_72_Frost_Gel_for_Tota_Light.html

You can even use white tissue paper - the kind that's used in gift boxes. With LED lights you never have to worry about heat.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Softening LED video lights

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Video, and LED, are new to me.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:31 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Softening LED video lights

There are two elements to softening LEDs.

Some LED fixtures have multiple and distinct lights that show on the panel. Whilst these rarely cause multiple shadows or weird effects, they can be hard on the eyes for the subject. In this respect a diffuser directly on the panel can help.

But if you're looking to have a softer light effect then you need to light a larger source than the actual LED panel. Typically done by lighting a diffused surface which is larger and a little distance away from the light source. In this respect you need a soft box (if needing to contain extraneous light), or a diffusion panel set a little in front of the LED panel.

May 06, 2016 at 01:35 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.