Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · How to start and work a career in photography?

mach250
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to start and work a career in photography?

I really enjoy photography and my mind keeps turning towards it when I think about what I would like to do with my professional life. I've seen that average income can be anywhere from 30-60k a the very high side which would be difficult to adjust to a lower income (main worry about even working in this field). How do you even get into a career like this? Do you have to get exposure and then have the right person notice?

I do have a section at work that does nothing but media and photography to maintain a historical photo database of everything that we do and the guy mentioned that he was looking to retire in a couple years. Also in my area of work people noticed what I can do with my equipment and are looking at me for their immediate photo needs. Think that if I make a side name for myself I might be able to squeeze into his position in a couple years but this isn't guaranteed...

So how the heck do you get into the professional photography world? I don't want to be like those people that buy a rebel and advertise themselves as pros for weddings or graduation photos or whatever else.

Apr 20, 2016 at 06:33 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to start and work a career in photography?

What area of photography interests you, Fine Art, Nature, Weddings, Portraits, Photojournalism, teaching etc.?

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:10 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to start and work a career in photography?

Be prepared to work 12-20 hours a day 365 days a year for at least 5 years selling your soul to anyone that will buy it for nothing.

But... the real question is, as asked above, what genre?
Weddings
Landscape
Seniors
Family
Pets
Santa Clause/Easter Bunny
Cheer/Dance Comp
Youth T&I
School Portraits
And the list goes on.

Your question has a million & 1 answers.

Look at your local area. How many professional photographers are there?
What are they shooting?
Are they actual full time pro's or do their spouses have a great income and the photography is actually a break even venture.

They are your competition. Don't focus on beating them, but be aware of them. If they don't have to earn to eat (or buy a car, pay rent/mortgage, feed kids, then they already have an advantage over you.

If you have a spouse that pays all the bills, then you only need enough to pay for gear and photo biz expenses and not worry about a profit... but why spend sonics time & effort for zero sum gain?

So, you MUST learn how to run a business. Period.
Nowadays (I think) it's 95% business and less than 5% photography.

You will hustle absolutely every day. Every stinking day for several years until you barely start to see the light of day of profit.

While you won't be working a average 9-5 job, your "boss" is every client you have. And to "make it" you need to SELL $900 of photos a week (that's appx $45,000 in sales then take out taxes and you get $25-30k left. Maybe. (Your locality may have state and local taxes too).

Those local photographers, many are hard working parents with nice gear and give photos away (or so cheap it might as well be free). You as a pro can't compete with free.

There's a book by Josh Harrington. Get it. Read it. Follow it.
Check out CreativeLive.com. Lots of good stuff there too.

Keep asking questions.
Value YOUR TIME.
Find your ideal client.
Shoot images that YOU like.
Learn that not everyone that can be a client has to be YOUR client.
Don't give away your work for free (unless it leads to real paid work).
Give back to your community.

Good luck.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:03 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to start and work a career in photography?

The mistake most photographers make is they study and work the art side. Ideally a business student with a desire and interest in photography would be more successful that a strieght photo person trying to learn the business side as they go.

If I was 18 and heading for college I would major in buisness and minor in photography or at least flip them around. For your jr yr summer internship I would find a sucsessfull photo buisness in the area you are interested in and have been working towards. You use to be able go get a photo arts degree and go find a paper or Mag that needed a younger stringer and work up from there. Now the digital world have changed many things like putting many magazines and papers out of buisness. Plus with every one with a dslr trying to earn money using the camera and it's not the speciality it was prior to the digital age.

Personally I think I would like working with Joe McNally if I was able. Great photography and travel. I'm not in to doing wedding, seniors etc I would also say if I was able to camp out for days Moose Peterson would be a great mentor. You still have portraits and travel. Sports photography would be great but again a mentor would be needed to teach you the ropes.

Apr 24, 2016 at 02:15 AM
mach250
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to start and work a career in photography?

I'd say in the past that I enjoyed landscape photography with a mixture of portrait. Whenever work has a "fun" day I always bring my camera so I can enjoy it my way instead of running around throwing a football or something else. I loved getting down into macro photography seeing things first hand that you normally couldn't so maybe add in the fine art portion. When I lived in Okinawa I liked to go and find a new area to explore and photograph. It's really difficult to narrow down what I would want to focus on because I enjoy everything depending on the subject in frame. Even more difficult finding time for pictures when you have children that aren't photos of them...

However, after reading the blunt reality of what its like trying to earn a living I think I should focus on work elsewhere that can fund photography as a hobby. I really don't want it to turn into a grind instead of enjoying it just so I can get by each week paying bills. My head was in the clouds the first time I watched the secret life of walter mitty hehehe.

Apr 24, 2016 at 01:46 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to start and work a career in photography?

Photography is fun, but doing it full time can definitely take some of the fun away, especially if you struggle to make ends meet. If you can set up some contracts, or book a few months of clients before you quit your job, and hence know that you can be successful without burning yourself out, then why not give it a try? If you don't have that security though I'd be very hesitant to put your livelihood in danger.

The biggest problem with being a full time professional photographer is that unless you're very successful you lose the freedom of shooting in genres outside of your speciality. When you're shooting weddings, for example, you can't afford to take a weekend off to photograph birds, nor can you justify the $3000 telephoto lens to do so on a $30 000 salary.

Of course, there are some great successes in photography. It's not impossible to stand out and make six figures a year, and still have time to enjoy yourself. Chances are it would take 5-10 years of very hard work and financial uncertainty to reach that place. But if that's what you truly want to do then you'll make it work.

Apr 24, 2016 at 02:51 PM
photoelle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to start and work a career in photography?

To be honest, in my opinion, pro photography is no longer a viable career choice anymore. I've been a full time pro since 1998, and I can see the writing on the wall as I approach retirement.

The value of photos has dropped dramatically over the years, since digital has become widespread. Clients will use their phones for photos because "its good enough", and free. Take a look at pix that are posted on Facebook, and that will prove the point. Plus, too many people are willing to sell their photos for less than $5, which has also contributed to the race to the bottom for pricing.

My advice to you would be to continue with your current job, and just really enjoy your photography. Develop your passion for what you love to photograph, and if you happen to sell some photos, then that is a bonus.

Apr 24, 2016 at 07:31 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to start and work a career in photography?

photoelle wrote:
To be honest, in my opinion, pro photography is no longer a viable career choice anymore. I've been a full time pro since 1998, and I can see the writing on the wall as I approach retirement.

The value of photos has dropped dramatically over the years, since digital has become widespread. Clients will use their phones for photos because "its good enough", and free. Take a look at pix that are posted on Facebook, and that will prove the point. Plus, too many people are willing to sell their photos for less than $5, which has also contributed to
...Show more

Great advice and spot on. I certainly have been a contributing factor in my area and pissed off a few local full time event photogs. Shooting for fun, I just showed up to a local youth rodeo with my D4 and 300/2.8 and pretty much killed off a long time photog they had that was using an older DSLR and kit lens. I felt bad, and he let me know it by yelling at me and telling me I was violating some photographers code of ethics, but in the end, the organizers approved my presence and the kids went nuts for my shots. Now, I'm totally hooked and shoot all the events. I do charge for my work, but I give out more than I take in with end of year awards that I donate back to the organization.

I truly enjoy shooting for fun and happy to have my other full time job. No way could I manage shooting full time and make ends meet.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:59 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to start and work a career in photography?

I think the onset of digital photography has also had a big impact on geography as well but in both a positive and negative way. You can be located in far-flung regions of the world and be just as visible and viable for certain types of assignments as somebody located in New York or London. The "landscape" and "macro" sales can be made by anybody connected to the internet, whereas 30 years ago you needed an agent and to be visible in the circles where photographers made sales. However unless you happen to be insanely talented and can build up an online following, it is tough to compete with your peers who are just like you, but may have thousands of followers on social media. A lot of shooters who have the internet's respect don't even shoot all that much anymore, as their viability depends on workshops, pay-per-view online courses, and event appearances. A friend of mine in New York basically told me he shoots only for self-promotion at this point, and shoots tutorials and courses, which are high margin.

I would maintain to be successful in this industry, you need to be able to do a handful of specific things very very well (to the point that you're automatically mentioned in a small group of potential photographers when a job arises, as the "Watch guy" or "glass guy" or "food guy"), and/or be able to work very well with people, which is not a given in this industry where fashion, beauty, and high end portraiture still pays.

As Weasel_Loader says, cream always rises to the top. You may gain a foothold in a certain field or location, but there's always somebody else who could be nipping at your heels.

Apr 26, 2016 at 01:08 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to start and work a career in photography?

I think one can still make a living in photography, but it's getting much more difficult. It also depends on the area you are going into and how aggressive you are. There is a lot of part timer photographers proliferating the market now that charge very little or nothing for their work and it's pretty hard to compete with that revenue model. The landscape/fine art market has always been difficult and i'm sure that has gotten even more so with so many stock agencies merging or paying out much less for images, but i'm not in that area. It is very nice doing what you love and are passionate about and it has served me well for over 20 years, i don't know if I'd really suggest it as a profession at this point in time.

Apr 26, 2016 at 01:47 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to start and work a career in photography?

One more thing I'll add is that you really need to figure out what area is saturated with photogs in your area and find ones that need good photogs. I love sports and my favorite has always been motorsports (car and motorcycle racing), but there are so many outstanding photogs shooting those events in my area that it would have taken me way too long to stand out. I found rodeo and quickly found that segment needed better coverage and it has propelled my photography like nothing ever has.

Can't imagine trying to build a business in my area doing fashion.

Apr 26, 2016 at 02:23 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to start and work a career in photography?

Find the areas that would make a profit. Narrow down to those where beginners would be at a disadvantage.Then estimate the amount required per job to earn what you need. If the numbers look to be okay then it is all about marketing. Prove you are worth the money to be invested.
If selling landscape prints it is the same thing. Unique looks not seen all over the place. Unique style. Price high enough to make profits. Marketing to place them in front of those with income that allows them to purchase. Or commercial groups that need wall art.

Apr 27, 2016 at 03:39 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to start and work a career in photography?

In a way I (sort of) disagree with a few of the above responses.

You can find an opening and fill that need and make money. But... you are just doing a job, and not much different than you are now just with a camera.

OR

Shoot what you love and the the way you want to CREATE images.
If it's good, people will find you and pay you.

It's not easy... but possible.

Apr 27, 2016 at 08:57 PM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to start and work a career in photography?

Weasel_Loader wrote:
Great advice and spot on. I certainly have been a contributing factor in my area and pissed off a few local full time event photogs. Shooting for fun, I just showed up to a local youth rodeo with my D4 and 300/2.8 and pretty much killed off a long time photog they had that was using an older DSLR and kit lens. I felt bad, and he let me know it by yelling at me and telling me I was violating some photographers code of ethics, but in the end, the organizers approved my presence and the kids went nuts
...Show more

I am a full time equine photographer, and what you did is called "poaching", which is shooting over top of the official photographer, and selling to the exhibitors. The event organizers should have supported their official, not you. My shows are all contracted that way.

Its preferable to find your own events, that don't have an established photographer, and build your relationship with organizers and exhibitors/riders yourself. I put a lot of work into developing these relationships, because it puts food on my table. If a show that has used another photographer approaches me to cover the event instead, I will. But I would never shoot to sell when someone is already there.

I know that there are just not enough potential sales to support two (or more) photographers at one show, so we all lose. Undercutting the existing photographer also significantly contributes to the race to the bottom for pricing. This effect creates a constant turnover of shooters (potentially also uninsured), charging ever lower prices, until no one is willing to shoot the events anymore. Working for free gets pretty tiresome really fast, and ultimately serves only to train people that photos have no value.

I think then its the exhibitors who suffer, because eventually they can't get good pro photos anymore.

Apr 27, 2016 at 09:19 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to start and work a career in photography?

photoelle wrote:
I am a full time equine photographer, and what you did is called "poaching", which is shooting over top of the official photographer, and selling to the exhibitors. The event organizers should have supported their official, not you. My shows are all contracted that way.

Its preferable to find your own events, that don't have an established photographer, and build your relationship with organizers and exhibitors/riders yourself. I put a lot of work into developing these relationships, because it puts food on my table. If a show that has used another photographer approaches me to cover the event instead, I
...Show more

Totally understand your logic, but let me clear up some points I may have not been clear on.

When I first started showing up at a local youth rodeo, I shot from outside the arena. I never knew about this "long time" photographer that they had as I thought it was just some family member shooting with their Canon Rebel and kit lens. I posted photos from the first outing and people went nuts and the organizers started asking me when i will come to the next event. After a few more, I went inside the arena to take shots during barrel racing and thats when trouble started. I simply told the person, I had permission from the event organizers and I just ignored anything else coming out of his mouth after that. Long story short, I only did a few more before I had enough of his harassing behavior and haven't been back since (I have since learned that photographer has retired).

I quickly found our local high school rodeo district and they had no photographer, so I've stuck with them where I've become a member and covered under their insurance.

I have no problem with photographers staking claim to an event where they are contracted and prominently advertised as exclusive photographer. Unofficial photographers staking claim is not poaching in my eyes. If they were serious, they would get that credential and sponsor the organization (as I have).

There was another event that I was asked by the organization to come shoot and on the second visit, there was another photographer setup and as I walked by and said hello, it was clear he didn't want me there. Typical, the riders loved my shots, but I did have one private message from another rider that I may want to reconsider doing any further events there as that photographer has been shooting there for several years and doesn't like other photographers showing up. Apparently some of the organizations leave it up to the photogs to figure out who will shoot. Not wanting to stir up controversy, I never went back.

As I stated previously, no issues with photogs that have contracted or exclusive rights. Thats the smart business way to do it. If not, you'll need to step up your game and consider there might be someone shooting over your shoulder that will secure those rights. Its business my friend.

Apr 27, 2016 at 09:46 PM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to start and work a career in photography?

Weasel_Loader wrote:
Totally understand your logic, but let me clear up some points I may have not been clear on.

When I first started showing up at a local youth rodeo, I shot from outside the arena. I never knew about this "long time" photographer that they had as I thought it was just some family member shooting with their Canon Rebel and kit lens. I posted photos from the first outing and people went nuts and the organizers started asking me when i will come to the next event. After a few more, I went inside the arena to take shots
...Show more

I'm not really sure what you mean by "unofficial photographers staking a claim", can you clarify that?. Someone showing up and shooting exhibitors in the arena competition while there is an official or established photographer already present, then posting them to sell, is considered poaching.

Its simply common courtesy to engage the official/established photographer, and let them know you are not photographing to sell to exhibitors (or worse, give away photos for free), but could be building a portfolio or providing photos for editorial or shooting stock/art photos. Otherwise, the official photographer can ask the organizers to ask you to stop photographing and/or ask you to leave the show grounds and/or have you barred from future events.

I think shooting over the established photographer's shoulder in hopes of stealing their gig is not good business and further fractures the already fragile photography industry. Finding events with no photographer, as you have done, builds healthy, positive business.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:15 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to start and work a career in photography?

photoelle wrote:
I'm not really sure what you mean by "unofficial photographers staking a claim", can you clarify that?. Someone showing up and shooting exhibitors in the arena competition while there is an official or established photographer already present, then posting them to sell, is considered poaching.

Its simply common courtesy to engage the official/established photographer, and let them know you are not photographing to sell to exhibitors (or worse, give away photos for free), but could be building a portfolio or providing photos for editorial or shooting stock/art photos. Otherwise, the official photographer can ask the organizers to ask you to
...Show more

What I mean by unofficial photographers are those that might be established, but do not have exclusive rights to be the sole photographer. When an organization asks you to attend and take photos, I assumed thats all I needed. Being new to this, I have since learned now to ask an organization requesting me to take photos about any other photographers that may take issue with me being there.

Like I've said, I have no issue with the photographers that are mentioned or advertised as the official photographer. The way I see it, thats the smart way to do it, if you rely on it as your income and take your shooting seriously. If not, well you can't just claim an event because you've been shooting the event for a long time, but have no official contract worked out with the organizers. Except for my first outing, which I admit, I was not aware of any "established" shooter, I communicate with the organization before showing up to shoot and get permission.

Having said that and knowing what I know now, I don't even bother showing up to events that have "established" shooters even if the organization asks me to show up.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify and happy shooting!

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:40 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to start and work a career in photography?

If the prior photographer doesn't have exclusive rights then he isn't an official photographer.

If the ORGANIZATION requests a vendor to come provide services, then the organization doesn't have an official vendor for said services.

If a photographer was OFFICIAL and sanctioned by the event organization, then all he had to do is say to an official the other guy needs to leave... but he didn't. Then... he isn't the official event photographer.

That's NOT poaching. The previous photographer just never had any competition and no reason to secure the event under contract. That's not Weasel_Loader's problem. He saw a need and filled it.

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:54 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to start and work a career in photography?

mach250 wrote:
However, after reading the blunt reality of what its like trying to earn a living I think I should focus on work elsewhere that can fund photography as a hobby. I really don't want it to turn into a grind instead of enjoying it just so I can get by each week paying bills. My head was in the clouds the first time I watched the secret life of walter mitty hehehe.

That's probably wise. I tried the pro thing for about a year before I realized it was too much work to make a living, and that I hated working for most clients. My wife has enjoyed more success as a photo entrepreneur, but she works really really hard to score the gigs she does, and process the images therefrom. A lot more money can be made for a lot less effort, so unless you live and breath photography and think you'll want to continue doing that for years and years, you're probably better off treating it as a hobby.

May 05, 2016 at 10:50 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to start and work a career in photography?

Weasel_Loader wrote:
I truly enjoy shooting for fun and happy to have my other full time job. No way could I manage shooting full time and make ends meet.

Congratulations and very well done on Fking up our industry!

People like you are the exact reason photography is becoming unviable. You put it down to " having fun" and charge pissant rates for you work which sets precedents for others trying to make a living. Then in complete hypocracy, you say you couldn't make a living out of it. Well gee wizz, I wonder why the hell that is?

Maybe it's because selfish and narrow minded prats come in and think that charging Tiddly winks for what they do makes it a business and it's all good till they grow tired of it and go get some other rush of blood tot eh head and go stuff that up for everyone else as well.

If you are such a hot shot, why don't you charge a Viable price for your work? I mean obviously you don't need the money so if you don't get as many sales by charging a viable and sustainable price, what difference does it make. You basically say you are not making anything out of it now.

The difference would be you could still indulge yourself without screwing it over for everyone else interested in doing the same thing. I'm not sure if people like you are too ignorant to see the damage they do or just don't care as long as they get to have their playtime.
If these people can indulge themselves in any Equine based sport, they sure as shit can afford to pay a realistic price for a photo.

It just seems unreal to me that you come on here bragging you put someone else out of the game that had been doing it a long time and then charge stupid low prices that undermines the whole damn industry which you then lament you could never make a living from!
Can you even see the hypocracy in what you are doing and saying??

If a bunch of people turned up at your day job and said to your boss, We'll do this for a buck an hour because we like doing it and don't need the money anyway, you'd throw a bitch fit.
But when you do it and screw other peoples incomes and potentially livelihoods, it's all a bit of a laugh 'eh because you, for the moment till you get bored with it, are having fun at someone else's expense.

Sorry if I offend but for once I hope I do!
Either have the balls to put compete fairly with sustainable and realistic prices or if you are happy to work for nothing, go do it where it has some real value and you'd be helping someone that could use the power you hold.

I'm sure there are lots of Charity's that would welcome your services in helping them promote their cause where they can benefit and help people, or organizations like the people that do still born baby pictures for families or portraits for cancer patients.
I KNOW there are people out there whom would love a family portrait with a loved one before they pass and you would be doing something worthwhile and valuable, IF you have big enough stones to deal with it.

I don't.
Did it once and the mother of 2 young kids went from the shoot to the hospital and never went home again. It made me an emotional wreck for a over month.
But then again, I'm just a pussy and don't go screwing and undermining the industry I and others do make a living from by charging stupid tiddly wink prices and trying to justify it.

May 07, 2016 at 12:59 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.