New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

bkp944
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

The Blue Angels were in town this past weekend. First time they had been in Knoxville in 30 years.

Great experience and a perfect day for the show.

Hope you enjoy some of the pictures I took.

Thanks,
Brian

© bkp944 2016

© bkp944 2016

Apr 20, 2016 at 03:00 PM
bkp944
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

A couple more...

© bkp944 2016

© bkp944 2016

Apr 20, 2016 at 03:01 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

enjoyable set, this is what i need, to see the Angels in some good light, never works for me

Apr 20, 2016 at 08:18 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

brian_sp wrote:
enjoyable set, this is what i need, to see the Angels in some good light, never works for me

I have several pics, but none as clear as this. by the time they usually fly at the airshow in my city it is hot and hazy and all the colors are drowned out.

These pics look like it was first thing in the morning and nice and vibrant. Great shots.

Apr 27, 2016 at 09:57 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

great weather for an airshow and great photos

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:08 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

mikeinctown wrote:
I have several pics, but none as clear as this. by the time they usually fly at the airshow in my city it is hot and hazy and all the colors are drowned out.

These pics look like it was first thing in the morning and nice and vibrant. Great shots.

well crap, not what i wanted to hear
i have been tossing the idea around of going to the Cleveland show in september, cause you'll have the Angels, Raptor and F35 there and then hop, skip and jump over to Toronto the same weekend for the airshow there

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM
James McQueen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

Awesome images. I love airplanes just don't get to shoot many.

-Jim

Apr 27, 2016 at 07:48 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

James, do you ever look the Mustang, Air to Air (MA2A) thread in this same sub-forum? If not, you will not be dissapointed in the last seven or eight pages.

From a fellow Alabamian (Athens), come on over to MA2A and join us. I don't post photos much at all because my images are no where near as good as what Jim Wilson, Glen Watson, Jeff Weker and several other post.

Regards, Colin

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:52 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

Colin, not trying to post sour grapes here but my experience at MA2A was less than enjoyable. It's a very closed group though Jim doesn't come across this way at all. I found that my questions to some of the prominent individuals went unanswered and my photos got no comments nor critics yet there would be 30 posts wishing someone happy birthday or a "get well." I tried for a while and finally gave up trying to "be part of the group." Though I had a 45 year career in aviation and was able to shoot some neat places it was for naught. Having said that I will agree that these guys are at the top of the heap with their aviation photography. maybe I'm just jealous

Apr 28, 2016 at 07:20 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

brian_sp wrote:
well crap, not what i wanted to hear
i have been tossing the idea around of going to the Cleveland show in september, cause you'll have the Angels, Raptor and F35 there and then hop, skip and jump over to Toronto the same weekend for the airshow there

The airshow is always over the lake so you get the water vapor being drawn off the lake during the day. The Blue Angels don't perform until like 3 or 4 in the afternoon and by then it is always hot and hazy. 2 years back was about the nicest when it was zero clouds and only 80 degrees. Still hazy as hell by that time in the afternoon.

The morning is clear perfection, but you only get some of the stunt planes and some of the WWII aircraft. I think maybe one of the jets performed as well. It's really a long tedious show to be honest with lots and lots of time between performances.

There is a video review for the Sigma 150-600 on Youtube wher ethe guy is shooting the New Jersey airshow and they are on the boardwalk and the planes fly over the ocean. If you watch the video you can see just how hazy it gets. That is exactly how the air show here winds up looking.

Apr 28, 2016 at 07:57 AM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

Nice images...great work

Apr 28, 2016 at 09:29 AM
bkp944
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

Thanks to all - just got lucky with the weather! It was unusually clear that day. Not expected with being so close to the Smoky Mountains.

The Blue Angels were the last of the day's show and they started at 3 pm.

These shots were taken at the first of the show. By the end of the show the pictures were not as clear due to the extensive amount of smoke they used.

Apr 28, 2016 at 01:21 PM
bkp944
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

Here is another one I liked. This guy was really moving and I assume due to the con trails along the side of the aircraft he was approaching the speed of sound.

Apr 28, 2016 at 01:35 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

the trails are moisture being condensed due to the extreme loading on the jet in this pull up. checkout photos of larger jets coming in to land in very humid conditions with flaps/slats extended and see the condensation trails.

Apr 28, 2016 at 02:56 PM
bkp944
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

Thanks for the explanation!

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:00 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

mikeinctown wrote:
The airshow is always over the lake so you get the water vapor being drawn off the lake during the day. The Blue Angels don't perform until like 3 or 4 in the afternoon and by then it is always hot and hazy. 2 years back was about the nicest when it was zero clouds and only 80 degrees. Still hazy as hell by that time in the afternoon.

The morning is clear perfection, but you only get some of the stunt planes and some of the WWII aircraft. I think maybe one of the jets performed as well. It's
...Show more

Thanks Mike for the heads up
i went to an air show in Eau Claire, WI last summer. same thing, heavy hazy skies
i also checked youtube for videos of the Toronto air show, from what i seen same thing, heavy hazy skies, shooting into the sun making it tough to get some good shots
looks like my hunt for a good show that includes the Raptor and F35 continues

Apr 28, 2016 at 07:10 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

brian_sp wrote:
Thanks Mike for the heads up
i went to an air show in Eau Claire, WI last summer. same thing, heavy hazy skies
i also checked youtube for videos of the Toronto air show, from what i seen same thing, heavy hazy skies, shooting into the sun making it tough to get some good shots
looks like my hunt for a good show that includes the Raptor and F35 continues

I'll see if I can pull up some of the shots of the other planes I took when i went a few years back. They alternate between the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds I think each year. I know that at least one of the jets performed in the morning so I'll check and see what clear shots I have. That may help you decide. You may also be able to find a schedule of the performance times on line as well.

A quick look at a couple pages shows the F35 will fly next to a plane from WWII, Korea or Vietnam. They also have the F22 for the first time. They don't have the schedule up yet though. Depending on what day you plan on watching, they always have a practice day(s) the two days before and typically it is early afternoon well before they would normally fly. In searching for the regular schedule it looks like they've done lat morning, early afternoon, and then 3PM practices over time.

Apr 29, 2016 at 07:36 AM
ramkumar999
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

I see that you have shot these with D610 and they also seem to have the GPS coordinates. Did you have the GPS adapters when you shot these?

Apr 30, 2016 at 06:41 PM
bkp944
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

Yes, I have the Di-GPS module for the D610. I originally bought one of these for my D300 back in the day and I highly recommend them.

May 01, 2016 at 09:18 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Blue Angels in Knoxville, TN

Robert, sorry to hear that but I do understand. I generally don't post photos that much because I just can't compare to Jay, Jeff, Jim, Steve, Glenn and others. I wish I could, but I realize that my abilities are lacking. With that said, I am willing to scroll through and read the posts and comment if I feel I have something that I can contribute. I also get the part with not getting comments on photos. After commenting on photos by those mentioned above, the superlatives become routine and further comment fails me. I also don't really feel that qualified to offer my "Expert" opinion on most photos posted because of my abilities. Still, I do enjoy seeing a well imaged photo of most anything, be it of aircraft, boats, cars, houses or landscapes.

Regards, Colin

May 06, 2016 at 07:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.