Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Anyone use remote cameras?

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone use remote cameras?

I've tried using a remote trigger on an extra camera shooting wide at two previous wedding ceremonies and it fell flat both times. It works when I test it, but I run into range problems or something were it just doesn't fire in actual applications. I have been using my flash triggers with a shutter cable. In the circumstances, I would have had no issues firing flashes but the camera trigger is somehow struggling.

Anyway, I set an interval timer on a camera at my last wedding and just got a shot every 15 sec with the shutter in quiet mode. This is spray and pray by definition really but I got a couple of nice shots and didn't need to climb up to a church balcony during the ceremony.

Anyone else have any experience with this kind of thing or find any value in it?

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:25 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone use remote cameras?

I've done a test but even in my tests at home it either didn't fire reliably, or required two clicks or something. Not sure how to make it fire reliably exactly when I want it to, every time. Ideally it would just fire every time I take a shot with another camera on me, but I could also see potentially clicking a remote trigger test button or something to fire it independently.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:02 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone use remote cameras?

TTLKurtis wrote:
I've done a test but even in my tests at home it either didn't fire reliably, or required two clicks or something. Not sure how to make it fire reliably exactly when I want it to, every time. Ideally it would just fire every time I take a shot with another camera on me, but I could also see potentially clicking a remote trigger test button or something to fire it independently.

I should say that I had my remote camera work correctly once at an event (not a wedding). I had a camera touching the ceiling about 12-14' up. I had clear line of sight to the camera and wasn't terribly far away when I triggered it.

I like the idea of having the remote camera triggered when I release the shutter on a different camera. That should be possible with me equipment and doesn't require me to fiddle around with another trigger in my hand. This is one of those things that is a lot bigger pain in the ass in practice than it should be.

Apr 20, 2016 at 01:57 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone use remote cameras?

I've always wanted to do it during the ceremony and essentially have a camera up on the altar facing back at the crowd. The problem is framing and focus at the moment. Maybe in a few years when you can operate a camera with your phone like you can with one of those drones.

Apr 20, 2016 at 02:26 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone use remote cameras?

Been talking about doing it for years...never have tried it. Might try it this weekend, though, because we have to stay at the very back of the church.

Apr 20, 2016 at 02:47 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone use remote cameras?

Might be worth asking in the sports forum. I know in some sports this is bread and butter for behind-the-goal shots.

Apr 20, 2016 at 06:12 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone use remote cameras?

I used to use it a lot doing Horse events. I would have a camera as low on the ground as I could at the bottom of a jump when doing horse events. This of course made the jump look taller and even the little kids used to look like they were leaping over tall buildings. They got dubbed the flying horse shots.

I used an old Quantam flash trigger and it was very reliable. Never had an issue with it. These were the old box type ones about the size of a cigarette pack and with a telescoping aerial. I never had the aerial up very high on the remote but did extend it on the transmitter.

It was unusual to be within 100 meters of the remote and not UNusual to be 200M from it. While this was direct line of sight mainly, the ability to go that far would give a lot of tolerance in an indoor situation that would not be nearly that distance.

I did set it up in church a could of times up in the Balcony and had no trouble with it firing. in fact I remember once the priest coming outside and telling me I had left a light in the church because it was flashing when I was taking pics outside and round the corner of the church in the garden.

The only times I did have misfiring was when the batteries were low and changing them restored the reliability.

Apr 20, 2016 at 06:24 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone use remote cameras?

I do this occasionally. I have my wife sitting in the back of the church (or wherever) and just tell her to fire away. I'm using Olympus cameras and just have a simple, cheap radio trigger that works every time. The brand is PixeL.
Many times we get the exact same shot from both perspectives.

Sorry about the watermark...too lazy to remove it for this post

Apr 20, 2016 at 06:57 PM
wjauch

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone use remote cameras?

ZachOly wrote:
I've always wanted to do it during the ceremony and essentially have a camera up on the altar facing back at the crowd. The problem is framing and focus at the moment. Maybe in a few years when you can operate a camera with your phone like you can with one of those drones.

I have no personal experience with them but camranger (camranger.com) and dslr controller (dslrcontroller.com) may do most of what you want

Apr 20, 2016 at 07:11 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone use remote cameras?

I've been doing it at some weddings going back to last year. I have a little Olympus O-MD E-M1 with a 17mm f1.8 on it (35mm equivelent) and I trigger it remotely. I have to manually trigger it. It works every time never misses. I set the camera up on a little table top tripod that has a ball head on it so that I can either point it up or down. I don't use flash just whatever the ambient lighting that is going on at the time. It's evry quick and easy to set up, the E-M1 has a great tilt screen that makes it easy.

Apr 20, 2016 at 07:16 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone use remote cameras?

This is what I have: http://www.amazon.com/Phottix-Plato-Olympus-Wireless-Remote/dp/B00514K2TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461286441&sr=8-1&keywords=phottix+plato+for+olympus

Apr 21, 2016 at 07:55 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone use remote cameras?

If you get a set of Odin Strato II for Nikon and place the transmitter in the hot shoe of your main camera and the receiver in the hot shoe of the remote camera it will fire the remote each time you trip the shutter of the main camera. I just tested it and it work flawlessly.

My main camera in this case is a Nikon D750 and the remote is the E-M1

Apr 21, 2016 at 08:00 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone use remote cameras?

MRomine wrote:
If you get a set of Odin Strato II for Nikon and place the transmitter in the hot shoe of your main camera and the receiver in the hot shoe of the remote camera it will fire the remote each time you trip the shutter of the main camera. I just tested it and it work flawlessly.

My main camera in this case is a Nikon D750 and the remote is the E-M1

Wait, it will trigger through just the hot shoe connection on the remote cam? I've been using my Cactus V6 transceivers and I have to use a cable between the transceiver on the remote camera and the body (in this case, it connects from the 3.5mm sync connector to the GPS connector on the Nikon camera body.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:31 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone use remote cameras?

All this remote talk gives me the idea O might take my GoPro to the christening I have to shoot on the weekend and do a vid for them as well.
I have been playing with it a lot lately as a pole and security cam so getting pretty sorted with it's remote operation.

Been seriously thinking of getting a P&S camera that has the same sort of functionality and the ability to view and control from an Ipad or something.....
If such a beast exists.

Could I run a laptop to the camera using the canon software ( whatever it's called?) and then Wi-fi that to a tablet or another laptop?
I'd also like a remote control Gimbal but the last time I looked for them, they seemed pretty exy.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:59 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone use remote cameras?

BSPhotog wrote:
Wait, it will trigger through just the hot shoe connection on the remote cam? I've been using my Cactus V6 transceivers and I have to use a cable between the transceiver on the remote camera and the body (in this case, it connects from the 3.5mm sync connector to the GPS connector on the Nikon camera body.

No, my bad. I forgot to include in my description about the wire that runs from the receiver to the camera body with the 3.5mm plug. It's the coiled wire that came with the Phottix remote.

Apr 22, 2016 at 05:46 AM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone use remote cameras?

MRomine wrote:
No, my bad. I forgot to include in my description about the wire that runs from the receiver to the camera body with the 3.5mm plug. It's the coiled wire that came with the Phottix remote.

This also works with the regular Stratto II trigger which also focuses the camera before each shot. I just tested this out for myself.

Thanks for that tip Mark!

Apr 22, 2016 at 07:49 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone use remote cameras?

RKTodd wrote:
This also works with the regular Stratto II trigger which also focuses the camera before each shot. I just tested this out for myself.

Yep, I use Strato II triggers to fire a remote camera when needed. Just like triggering a flash except it plugs in. I like to use them to capture the bride walking up the aisle from behind while i'm shooting from the front. And since it's on a tripod get a slow shutter to get that little bit of motion blur. I hope to get one like this from straight down someday.

Apr 22, 2016 at 09:59 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone use remote cameras?

I'll sometimes set up my third camera and fire it with a pocket wizard.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:05 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone use remote cameras?

RKTodd wrote:

Which camera are you using?

Apr 22, 2016 at 08:12 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone use remote cameras?

I think Kevin Jairaj does this at weddings. Saw a blog post of his or something about it a good ways back.

Apr 22, 2016 at 09:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.