New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

So I have read and seen images with D5 at low ISO which don't look as good as a D3S or D4S. Having said that, I encountered some noise in a blue sky which was surprising at ISO 400. I started an album of ISO 100 shots and to be honest, I like what I have seen so far.

http://www.nikonimages.com/standardgallery.php?membercollection=1866&showall=1

It's not as bad as it is made out to be.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:13 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

The D5's low ISO performance is about equal to the D3s. Nikon significantly improved the low ISO performance of their in-house sensors starting with the D4/D4s. The Sony sensors Nikon uses in the D8xx/D6xx/D7xx have even better low ISO performance.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM
moranjr
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

Beautiful shots Jorge. The dog portraits are my favorites.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:28 PM
ELinder
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

I'm beginning to think we just don't have enough experience with the D5 yet, so we're still shooting them like we did the D4s. I can already see some changes I need to make in my standard high-ISO settings and shooting style, and I suspect once we better know what the D5 likes in the low-ISO area most of the "problems" will go away or be hardly noticeable.

Erich

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:49 PM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

Funny, that's not my finding!

D5 is a very nice upgrade from D4s (which was better than the D3s).

You guys must stop reading reviews and get out taking pictures!

D3s is still able to produce great files, even by todays standards, but the D5; amazing!

snapsy wrote:
The D5's low ISO performance is about equal to the D3s. Nikon significantly improved the low ISO performance of their in-house sensors starting with the D4/D4s. The Sony sensors Nikon uses in the D8xx/D6xx/D7xx have even better low ISO performance.

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:11 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

Frode wrote:
Funny, that's not my finding!

D5 is a very nice upgrade from D4s (which was better than the D3s).

You guys must stop reading reviews and get out taking pictures!

D3s is still able to produce great files, even by todays standards, but the D5; amazing!

Here's a comparison of the D5's low-ISO DR vs the other Nikon cameras, including the D750, D7200, and J5:

D5 vs D750 vs D7200 vs J5, ISO 100 +5EV

Apr 20, 2016 at 09:04 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

snapsy wrote:
Here's a comparison of the D5's low-ISO DR vs the other Nikon cameras, including the D750, D7200, and J5:

I saw that and found it disturbing

Apr 20, 2016 at 09:16 AM
ELinder
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

I honestly don't understand the point of those kinds of comparisons. What does it tell me? They pushed things 5 stops in post and then looked at the difference? There certainly is nowhere near as big a difference when looking at the properly exposed versions of those photos even at 100%. Isn't that what we should be comparing, not some condition no photographer would normally ever be in? If you need 5 stops of exposure range you should be bracketing anyway no matter what camera you're using.

What am I missing here?

Erich

Apr 20, 2016 at 09:35 AM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

snapsy wrote:

I must do something wrong with my tools, but who pushes +5

I always try and select the right lens, adjust WB, picked a balanced exposure. Yeah in stage/ballet that gets challenging but never messed with exposure that much in post. Somebody explain why that is required?

I must simply not be using my old tools as well but since I never did, will just shoot my D5 and enjoy the faster FPS, faster focus, more focus points, higher number of pixels and expanded ISO flexibility... dang what a terrible situation.

I'm big on analogies... This is like taking a highly tuned sports car and then pushing it in some unnatural situation say in rain and say wow look how much better some other car does.. Sorry I bought the car/camera for some specific optimized focus, it is no different than any other product we have to select. People aren't happy they should be hapy that D3s/D4/D4s prices are falling fast and they can get what they want, or they got the D810 which is really king here, or if they need something inbtweeen than the D750 is there, what a bountiful range of selection we have.

Apr 20, 2016 at 09:38 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

The point of the +5EV push is to make it easy to visibly measure the sensor's base ISO dynamic range. You don't have to push the exposure +5EV to see the differences between sensors - doing such just makes it easier to see the differences. If your shooting style doesn't involve any/much shadow pushing then these base ISO DR demonstrations can be safely ignored

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:00 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

What is with the magenta background with the Nikon cameras as opposed to the Sony 6300 and A7r2 which show a proper gray?

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:16 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

mogul wrote:
What is with the magenta background with the Nikon cameras as opposed to the Sony 6300 and A7r2 which show a proper gray?

The black-level in the deep shadows isn't perfectly balanced across the color channels on some cameras. You can ameliorate this by adjusting the shadow tint slider in LR/PS although it's not a perfect solution.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:23 AM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

We've no control on how/what have been done with files presented in tests on the web. Many interests at stake..... Worth nothing to ME.

I look into it myself in practical photography and make my own findings.

D5 is the best camera from Nikon to this date regarding IQ, both at low/high ISO.

Funny how people compare D4/5- series to files from the lower end (D6/7/750- series). Differences and in favour of the high- end series? Oh yes!

snapsy wrote:

Apr 21, 2016 at 06:39 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

Frode wrote:
We've no control on how/what have been done with files presented in tests on the web. Many interests at stake..... Worth nothing to ME.

I look into it myself in practical photography and make my own findings.

D5 is the best camera from Nikon to this date regarding IQ, both at low/high ISO.

Funny how people compare D4/5- series to files from the lower end (D6/7/750- series). Differences and in favour of the high- end series? Oh yes!

If you'd like to work with these images using your preferred workflow, under each camera's widget there's a link that will let you download the raw for that image.

Apr 21, 2016 at 08:58 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

Frode wrote:

This sound an awful lot like an example of cognitive dissonance.

Apr 21, 2016 at 09:00 AM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

Why would I need others D750/D4s/D5 files?!

snapsy wrote:
If you'd like to work with these images using your preferred workflow, under each camera's widget there's a link that will let you download the raw for that image.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:10 PM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

;-)!

Javier Munoz wrote:
This sound an awful lot like an example of cognitive dissonance.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:11 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

if you apply 10000lbs of force to your iphone 6, it will bend, not good!! :P

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:25 PM
mp0363
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

Jorge Torralba wrote:
I saw that and found it disturbing

OMG! The data and the images concur, although a part of me needs a larger sample size to really say nay. I don't think I've seen but 5 or 6 people posting up so far. We got a few defenders with no images

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:28 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Low ISO performance Nikon D5

snapsy wrote:

+1, http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_ADU.htm

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:18 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.