New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · High Speed Sync Speedlight options for Nikon DSLRs

Pixphatic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High Speed Sync Speedlight options for Nikon DSLRs

Hello,
As birds are my primary subjects of interest,facing a constant problem of low ambient light,especially in the hills and foot-hills of the Himalayas due to poor and whimsical weather. Have been using a manual flash so far, but then the problems is the low shutter speed for usage of these manual speedlights.Most of the time the shutterspeed of abt 400-500 is too slow for small and fidgety birds. Hence contemplating buying a HSS enabled speedlight for Nikon.What are the options available..?? Esp the 3rd parties like YongNuo YN-568EX.
Also love to hear experiences with HSS speedlights in bird photography.The tips and tricks therein.
I've in the past dealt with 'silver-eyes',so that should not be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:26 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High Speed Sync Speedlight options for Nikon DSLRs

I was a bird photographer for few years. Your typical ITTL flash at high speed sync would do fine and adding a flash extender too.

The YN 568ex would be fine. The flash does not support external power but, with the flash extender or betterbeamer, you would have more than enough flash power to cover the shooting distance.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:02 AM
Pixphatic
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High Speed Sync Speedlight options for Nikon DSLRs

TooManyShots wrote:
I was a bird photographer for few years. Your typical ITTL flash at high speed sync would do fine and adding a flash extender too.

The YN 568ex would be fine. The flash does not support external power but, with the flash extender or betterbeamer, you would have more than enough flash power to cover the shooting distance.

thanks.I have DIY BB setup,which I am happy with. The shooting distance would not be that much (within 30-35 feet).
Looking forward to some discussions on the HSS subject.It's problems and merits.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High Speed Sync Speedlight options for Nikon DSLRs

PIXPHATIC wrote:
thanks.I have DIY BB setup,which I am happy with. The shooting distance would not be that much (within 30-35 feet).
Looking forward to some discussions on the HSS subject.It's problems and merits.

For birding....is fine. The shooting distance does not change much...and it won't affect the ITTL's variable power outputs. You are using it as fill, not the main flash anyway. The downside is that your flash may not be able to keep up with your burst speed if you are firing like 10 fps. Unless....you can hook up the flash to a high voltage high output battery pack.

Apr 20, 2016 at 01:04 PM
Pixphatic
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High Speed Sync Speedlight options for Nikon DSLRs

TooManyShots wrote:
For birding....is fine. The shooting distance does not change much...and it won't affect the ITTL's variable power outputs. You are using it as fill, not the main flash anyway. The downside is that your flash may not be able to keep up with your burst speed if you are firing like 10 fps. Unless....you can hook up the flash to a high voltage high output battery pack.

Yes,keeping up the camera burst speed of even 6-7fps would not be possible.That is a matter of concern.I've have thought abt it.

Thanks

Apr 20, 2016 at 09:03 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High Speed Sync Speedlight options for Nikon DSLRs

PIXPHATIC wrote:
Yes,keeping up the camera burst speed of even 6-7fps would not be possible.That is a matter of concern.I've have thought abt it.

Thanks

That's not the limitation of the flash itself. Is your power source. You may need to use a high voltage battery pack. Again, they aren't cheap and priced around $270 to $400.

Apr 20, 2016 at 09:51 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · High Speed Sync Speedlight options for Nikon DSLRs

I do almost all my bird work with flash and an extender. My favorite setup is the SB910 + Better Beamer. I add a battery pack so that I can take rapid sequences or bursts when necessary. You lose a lot of range using high speed sync yet the Better Beamer gets you back to about where you would be without the high speed sync. The Harbor Digital Flash Extender is a better extender than the Better Beamer, the downside of the Harbor Digital is it's bulk, particular when you travel. It will not melt your flash if you point at the sun the way the Better Beamer dose. I usually do fill flash as flash as primary light is quite flat unless you have a way to move it many feet off the camera. Look out for steel eye when using a powerful setup like this, particular when photographing raptors. A huge advantage of flash is the increased dynamic range you can capture and that you get catchlight in the eyes. This is a nice example of how flash can help with difficult exposures:

041616DSC_3824 by Morris Altman, on Flickr

Morris

Apr 21, 2016 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.