Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon D5 and practical Low Light ISO capture.

SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D5 and practical Low Light ISO capture.

I just shot my new D5 under my typical low light conditions (1000+ frames). Here are my preliminary comparisons to my D4s:

The extra mP, and higher in the frame portrait, AF boxes allow for substantially more cropping because there can be more pixels on the subject (Flamenco dancers. I put a single AF box on their face and frame up with a F2.8 zoom).

Previously, I was on the edge of moving from ISO 6400 to 12,800. The D5 allows me to move up to 12,800 ISO and, depending on how much cropping, I use approx 25 luminance NR in ACR. Also there seems to be little or no color artifacts. I would estimate the benefit to be approx 1/2 stop although the practical advantage is more since there are more mP per frame.

The D5 RAW files seem to be a bit lower contrast but this may be the result of the new DNG/ACR software (my computer will not run Cloud era PS so I first convert to DNR-as I have done with the D4s). This is not a bad thing because ACR controls allow for most any result.

The 12 fps seems faster/smoother than an extra fps (the 11fps of the D4s). This is possibly due to less mirror blackout. The shutter noise is less (quieter/smoother) but certainly not a game changer. Touch screen chimping is pleasant if only as an alternative to hard controls. The PV, F1, F2, F3 assignable buttons can speed up shooting if set properly (YMWV).

Because I use continuous single point AF I noticed little extra AF speed-just a bit. Other AF modalities will likely benefit more. However, I did notice that low/no light AF is improved. I have gone so far as to shoot wider with a single D5 knowing that I can select from a full figure frame and crop effectively for a CU.

All in all I am very happy with the improvement and consider my D5 a significant upgrade and a good value. Certainly your results will vary with a different use pattern.

Apr 19, 2016 at 07:24 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D5 and practical Low Light ISO capture.

Thanks for the review. I'm debating a D5 myself (have to wait and see if my D500 is really all I need), but it's always nice to hear real world experiences.

Apr 19, 2016 at 07:33 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D5 and practical Low Light ISO capture.

Steve, the D500 is likely a versatile Body and a fine value. If you don't need ISOs of 12,800 and higher you should be very happy. Also consider if you can find the WA and UVA lenses that you like. Certainly you are covered for teles and at a much lower price for equivalent FLs.

Apr 19, 2016 at 07:38 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.