Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Convergence

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Convergence

Admittedly, I am a nut for seeking out less usual grand gooseneck scenes. This one I had been itching to get to for some years, but finally the monsoon weather cooperated to make it worth the effort. Seeing these remote behemoths in person is just a totally amazing experience. Backcountry camping, I was treated to a terrifying lightning storm and heat exhaustion that had me laid up for almost a week in a hotel. Stupidly, my mistake (that could have cost my life) was being in such a rush that I brought only water and forgot about ELECTROLYTES! I'll never, ever make that mistake again. Hopefully by mentioning it others won't forget either. But all in all very much worth it to me. After the NW finishes its peak of Spring/Summer (late July) I can't wait to get back to the SW again for another round of monsoon action!

Hope you enjoy!

Sony A7R2
Canon 11-24@11mm
1/500th
200 ISO
f/8
2 shot blend for dynamic range.

Edited on Apr 18, 2016 at 01:55 PM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:39 PM
przero
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Convergence

Great shot!! Lens/Camera? Location?

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:51 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Convergence

przero wrote:
Great shot!! Lens/Camera? Location?

Sorry, I revised my original post now, I usually put the camera info in there... Canyonlands.

Apr 18, 2016 at 01:56 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Convergence

Nice take!

Apr 18, 2016 at 02:01 PM
przero
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Convergence

Where in CNP? Needles or Island in the Sky?

Apr 18, 2016 at 08:55 PM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Convergence

Hey Mark,

Great capture: composition, cloud pattern, sunstar, and gooseneck-river foreground. Have been enjoying viewing your image.

I do have two comments for this image.

1. The lower left lit bank seems to be distractive to me from the eye focus point - sunstar. Don't know if darken it a bit would help.

2 The image was taken at dusk/dawn. The clouds seem to be quite neutral color-wise (mostly white colored). Was this what you witnessed?

Thanks.

Apr 18, 2016 at 09:48 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Convergence

Hey Mark,
This is superb. Love the perspective the 11mm is giving here. Not a big issue but I agree with LS on trying to burn down/de-sat the LLC.

Sounds like you had a good reminder. S*** happens - need to maintain a healthy respect in the backcountry. especially when traveling solo...

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:22 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Convergence

Hey Mark,

A lot of potential here, but it is not working for me. A couple reasons.

1. The ground layer is too dark, it would have been brighter. The gooseneck is the main point of the image and it's hard to see.

2. The lower left being lit up is real distracting. Perhaps if there had been some brush there or something, that would work. But not just some plain old dirt. This really pulls the eye away.

3. The sunstar does not look real, it is too perfect and ends up looking fake.

I think you need to spend a bit more time on this one.

Jim

Apr 19, 2016 at 04:19 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Convergence

Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback! I appreciate it.

LSExplorer wrote:
Hey Mark,

Great capture: composition, cloud pattern, sunstar, and gooseneck-river foreground. Have been enjoying viewing your image.

I do have two comments for this image.

1. The lower left lit bank seems to be distractive to me from the eye focus point - sunstar. Don't know if darken it a bit would help.

2 The image was taken at dusk/dawn. The clouds seem to be quite neutral color-wise (mostly white colored). Was this what you witnessed?

Thanks.

Thank you for the feedback here. I appreciate it.

I had a feeling some might think the bottom left corner might be a little distracting. I can certainly see the rationale as to why. But having said that, I like the light hitting there, so was ok with leaving it not burned down unnaturally low. Not arguing with anyone here about that. It might be better burned. So I'll put up a version here with that a bit more tame. But I think I am preferring the original...

Yes, the sky was pretty much as seen here. But I am not a literalist so I don't mind shifting things to look better. And I do see the sky goes from warm (yellow) on the horizon line to a slight shift toward a hint of Magenta as it reaches what is nearly straight up with the 11mm. So I could definitely see rendering the sky at the top of the frame a bit more toward warm (yellow) for consistency's sake. Attached is a revision that evens out the color balance there a little bit more.

Good eye and thank you for the feedback!

przero wrote:
Where in CNP? Needles or Island in the Sky?

For better or worse (hopefully better) it is my general policy to not give out location information on forums or social media out of concern for conserving these places as much as possible (within the framework of being a full time photographer...). On the other hand, if you message me personally I can give you some logistics if you want... Thank you for your understanding.

Dave Dillemuth wrote:
Hey Mark,
This is superb. Love the perspective the 11mm is giving here. Not a big issue but I agree with LS on trying to burn down/de-sat the LLC.

Sounds like you had a good reminder. S*** happens - need to maintain a healthy respect in the backcountry. especially when traveling solo...

Thanks very much Dave. I appreciate your feedback. And yes, I mentioned my stupid mistake because I want others to not make the same one! I was very ill and it scared me a bit (and rightly so). I barely made it out of there. I was in a rush and forgot one of the most basic and most important desert rules...

BRING ELECTROLYTES!!!

Or a supplement like this (firefighters swear by this):Endurolytes

And if one does not know what that means please inquire! At least bring Gatorade! Also, a Satellite phone would have been a great idea too, just in case! The desert is not something to mess with! And as I said above, I'll never make that mistake again! I hope others don't to begin with.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Mark,

A lot of potential here, but it is not working for me. A couple reasons.

1. The ground layer is too dark, it would have been brighter. The gooseneck is the main point of the image and it's hard to see.

2. The lower left being lit up is real distracting. Perhaps if there had been some brush there or something, that would work. But not just some plain old dirt. This really pulls the eye away.

3. The sunstar does not look real, it is too perfect and ends up looking fake.

I think you need to spend a bit more time
...Show more

Thank you Jim, I always appreciate your honesty and feedback. Always one to give it straight. It is helpful.

My thoughts:

On my monitor the ground layer seems in check, luminance wise. I am on a Mac 27 inch Thunderbolt calibrated to 130CD (brightness) and a Macbook Pro at the same luminance, which is pretty much the accepted industry standard today for luminance and I feel if it was any brighter below, it would look unnatural and kind of HDR to me. So, I am cool with where it is. But I'll boost up the land on the revision here by 10pts for those who would like it brighter...

I do completely get you on why some would/will take issue with the lower left corner. I had the feeling some would feel that way. I, on the other hand, like how the yellow light is hitting the rocks far down in the canyon. So, I agree with your feedback (and the others) in that I see a solid argument for burning it down there more, but that is simply a taste thing for me.

As far as the sun star looking too perfect or fake. It is real. I'm not sure what I could do to it to make it look more "real." Maybe shot it at a different time when the sun was not cutting though... I also would say it is not my favorite sunstar I have ever shot... In fact I have never been a big sunstar fan anyways... So, I get you there. I knew this image would very likely bring up some issues with people (I am surprised no one has mentioned how 50/50 it is, yet - or that the sky could be slightly sharper, or how the sunstar is not entirely clean from a touch of dust on my lens) but for some reason, I just like the image and thought it worth sharing even with its various imperfections.

Below is a revised version with the sky color balance equalized more, the sky a hair more sharp, lower left corner burned down a bit, land up 10pts in the darks and the light end of levels adjusted slightly brighter (10 pts).

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:16 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Convergence

Mark,
Thanks for the reminder on the electrolytes. It's indeed very important and I once made a similar mistake in Death Valley during summer. I know the feeling.

My take is that the image looks natural. It was taken before sunset or after sunrise and the sky and lighting are in check to my eyes. I really like your composition and it's refreshing to see something different from the classic look. The lower left bottom is a though decision. I would like to either see more or somehow reduce its intensity. Perhaps your lens was not wide enough.
Take care,
Fred

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:56 AM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Convergence

I'm not sure about the bottom left corner, but it does somewhat match the lighting along the ridge on the left so I'm fine with it. I might like to see a little more contrast in the shadowed areas though.

Thanks for sharing a unique viewpoint!

Apr 19, 2016 at 08:53 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Convergence

to me, the first one looks better, but both look un-natural to me. I do like the compositions though.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:37 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Convergence

Dustin Gent wrote:
to me, the first one looks better, but both look un-natural to me. I do like the compositions though.

Hi Dustin, thanks for commenting. Although I am not a literalist, and don't adhere to the idea that things always have to look "natural" in photography. I am curious what you think looks unnatural (aside from the sun star and the 11mm of view). This was processed extremely conservatively and looks (to my eye) very close to what I saw...

Apr 23, 2016 at 01:42 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Convergence

Nice unique comp and I do prefer the 2nd rendition. Good reminder on electolytes! I guess its unnatural for me as well as my eyes are not 11mm and sunsets never starbursts!
Dave

Apr 23, 2016 at 09:19 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Convergence

This is a very cool scene, but I just don't think you captured the best light here, and all the processing in the world doesn't make up for that. The sun star feels a bit distracting and pulls my eye from the rest of the composition. I don't know if this is sunrise or sunset, but do you have any photos with calmer light? The "in your face" sort of light stands out on quick glance, but calmer light makes for a better viewing experience and encourages the viewer to spend longer looking at the photo.

Apr 23, 2016 at 09:33 AM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Convergence

I really like the way the clouds mimic the river.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:00 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Convergence

dbehrens wrote:
Nice unique comp and I do prefer the 2nd rendition. Good reminder on electolytes! I guess its unnatural for me as well as my eyes are not 11mm and sunsets never starbursts!
Dave

Thank you Dave. I get you.

Ben Horne wrote:
This is a very cool scene, but I just don't think you captured the best light here, and all the processing in the world doesn't make up for that. The sun star feels a bit distracting and pulls my eye from the rest of the composition. I don't know if this is sunrise or sunset, but do you have any photos with calmer light? The "in your face" sort of light stands out on quick glance, but calmer light makes for a better viewing experience and encourages the viewer to spend longer looking at the photo.

Thank you Ben. I get you and always appreciate your thoughtful feedback.

I agree it is not the "best light." But still feel it worthy of sharing (and putting on my website portfolio) even with its relative imperfections. Honestly, my taste generally gravitates toward surreal (but not always). I may be wrong, but this particular forum has seemed to have a bit of tension at times between the more literalists (which I think it leans more toward) and the more creativists (to which I often try to, but never perfectly walk, a fine line between). If true, that is fine, it is what it is...

I'll likely be back many times this next monsoon season (I'll be shooting from in the SW from late July until November) and hopefully nature provides some better light on the scene.

coreybell wrote:
I really like the way the clouds mimic the river.

Thank you very much Cory. Much obliged!

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:25 PM
IPTAK
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Convergence

Overall I think it's a nice image, and worth putting anywhere you'd like too. I like the second image myself.

I see what others are getting at. The light and geography just makes this a tough shot. IMO there is some beautiful light, but it's only a smattering (along the horizon and rim) and the rest of image is in the shade. Your main subject, the river bend, is sort of lost (for me) in the shade. Or if your subject is the light of the sun star, horizon line and sky, it gets it's thunder stolen from the large area of shadow below it.

That's just my opinion though. Take it for what it's worth, but at the end of the day it's your image and all that matters is that you like it .

Apr 23, 2016 at 06:43 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Convergence

IPTAK wrote:
Overall I think it's a nice image, and worth putting anywhere you'd like too. I like the second image myself.

I see what others are getting at. The light and geography just makes this a tough shot. IMO there is some beautiful light, but it's only a smattering (along the horizon and rim) and the rest of image is in the shade. Your main subject, the river bend, is sort of lost (for me) in the shade. Or if your subject is the light of the sun star, horizon line and sky, it gets it's thunder stolen from the large area
...Show more

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I think it is very sound feedback!

This is one of those photos that is not technically perfect, but still worth sharing for me. So, I just accept its imperfections (the ones beyond my ability to correct). Surprisingly, one of my favorite SW photographers said it was their favorite image I have ever taken, so that just shows me that we all have substantial differences in what appeals to us. It is not my favorite I have ever taken (not even close) but I still feel it special enough to include into my online portfolio. I hope this next year to maybe get a better shot from here with my group or by myself.

May 08, 2016 at 01:56 PM
MJKoski
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Convergence

You really stretched out the DR of the Sony here. But that aside, I see two devil's horns here in the picture. Quite interesting formations which the ultra WA bends even more towards the horizon.

And good point about dehydration. I have suffered the effect few times during the past 6 years and it is very unpleasant and slow to recover from. One may even lose ability to sleep at some point.

May 08, 2016 at 05:18 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.