Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Reaching new heights

CW100
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reaching new heights

a few pole vault shots from a college track and field meet this past weekend

2016 CNU Captains Classic Track and Field combined events Newport News Va. by c w, on Flickr

2016 CNU Captains Classic Track and Field combined events Newport News Va. by c w, on Flickr

CNU Captains Classic Track and Field combined events Newport News Va. by c w, on Flickr

CNU Captains Classic Track and Field combined events Newport News Va. by c w, on Flickr

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:09 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reaching new heights

Exposure and focus look great, my problem is with your shooting position. It appears you are about level with the bar and that loses any sense of height. the last one looks like the girl could be standing on the landing mat.

Bill

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:44 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reaching new heights

BillP57 wrote:
Exposure and focus look great, my problem is with your shooting position. It appears you are about level with the bar and that loses any sense of height. the last one looks like the girl could be standing on the landing mat.

Bill

right, I was shooting from a distance and couldn't get any closer, another photographer was shooting much closer on the other side. He could get a wider shot showing a "sense of height" but the background was the stadium stands. (I need a large aperture telephoto prime!)

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:19 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reaching new heights

I like the set particularly the first shot. I like the very natural colors. Excellent skin tones especially given the bright light. The hair color and the lettering of the young woman in the second and third shot looks spot on. I like the expressions you captured as well. So, for me, these are more about the athlete and her feelings as she executes her leap. I understand the limitations of your position and your gear, but, it looks like you made the most of it.

Apr 19, 2016 at 09:51 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reaching new heights

pole vault is a tough event to shoot. You can go tight with a longer lens like this but then you unfortunately lose a sense of the height. Low and wide is also nice but you don't see much of the athlete usually.

I've always wished you could somehow get above them and shoot down!

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.