Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Pocket Wizard miss fires due to interference?

Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pocket Wizard miss fires due to interference?

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I was shooting a T&I job last weekend, two stations both with 1DX's Lumedyne strobes and PW plus X triggers. About 80% through the shoot the triggers go down on one station.... after trouble shooting, I thought possibly the hot shoe had somehow gone dead... We switched out the body, same thing.... Swapped the system out for a 600ex RT w/ ST-E3.. better but still some misfires. Went back to my station and boom...Same thing All the plus X's were blinking green batteries.... I ended up with an on camera flash to finish up my last 1/2 team.

Got home, everything worked as advertised.... We were about 3 miles from an airport. I remember back in my military days, whenever the POTUS flew in or an AWACS was around, electronics would do some weird stuff. I can recall garage doors opening etc. Moral of the story, always have a hard-wired backup...

Ralph

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:55 AM
finster1018
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pocket Wizard miss fires due to interference?

I am not certain, but I swear that people with smartphones or tablets set mine off!

Apr 20, 2016 at 08:25 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pocket Wizard miss fires due to interference?

This is one of MANY reasons I have held on to my MultiMAX units and wouldn't let them go in a fire fight. Along with a unique ID placed on them at Pocket Wizard back then, and in combination with the 'interference meter' built into these units, I never have these issues anymore.

In the day of just plain old pocket wizard (1st gen) and the PW II models, I had failures..

I'm not buying into this PWIII thing that people claim "do it all". I have no idea why they discontinued the MutliMAX line.. Makes zero sense to me except for LCD issues? I don't know. But if your an arena shooter, dump those lame X models pronto.

Apr 20, 2016 at 06:57 PM
rassilon

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pocket Wizard miss fires due to interference?

John Skinner wrote:
This is one of MANY reasons I have held on to my MultiMAX units and wouldn't let them go in a fire fight. Along with a unique ID placed on them at Pocket Wizard back then, and in combination with the 'interference meter' built into these units, I never have these issues anymore.

In the day of just plain old pocket wizard (1st gen) and the PW II models, I had failures..

I'm not buying into this PWIII thing that people claim "do it all". I have no idea why they discontinued the MutliMAX line.. Makes zero sense to me except
...Show more

The PW IV is the motherload of PWs.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:33 PM
rassilon

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pocket Wizard miss fires due to interference?

I had the same issue but sent it in to PW to get fixed for free and they noticed it was the main board that was faulty. They swapped it out and returned it back to me. Their turn around time for repair was 30 days though.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:36 PM
Top Gun
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pocket Wizard miss fires due to interference?

I have 6 MultiMax's and 3 Plus II's that I have never had a problem with. All 3 of my Plus III's have had issues. (most often) they will misfire if I turn the camera to portrait orientation.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:28 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.