Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · What to charge for customers who want digital images for printing and no...

NYCPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What to charge for customers who want digital images for printing and no prints?

AmbientMike wrote:
I've given cds to family members and one time I was mortified by the bluish, off center framed print (fortunately they broke up? Lol) when I saw it. I think there were problems with another time, nobody said anything, kinda got a vibe. Fortunately I had done a print for her mother, so they could see it was the kiosk or wherever they printed it and not mine.

So I'm kinda worried about providing a cd/dvd. But you may have to?

I think this pertains to the op, how do you provide images for fb? 600x900? I think most clients are
...Show more

Social media photos are provided with a watermark.

I agreed to supply the images for digital download. Only the files I select are the ones. It could be 10 or it could be more. I made it known that this isn't the norm but I'm making an exception as poor photos would reflect on me and I won't pass along garbage for the sake of giving a bunch of photos.

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:47 PM
FotoHouse
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What to charge for customers who want digital images for printing and no prints?

This subject is contingent on your location and demographics studies. Which part of NYC are you targeting? Research your clientele's estimated avg income within the last year, 3yrs, and 5yrs to reference trends--any one that can apply. Use those results to evaluate finance mitigation/augmentation in association to your personal business. Then w/ those resources, you could calculate your rates better.

You are from NYC or a big city. Your work should revolve more around going to your clients than them coming to you and it should all be digital--NYC is more inclined to commercial/advertising togs and from my experiences prefer digital reviews. I could see if you were working out of Yonkers or town/city, but in the city...it is a lot different especially since most of your clients are really tech savy and wanting to order their prints--also a large population flow n upkeep. Not many w/ a studio sustain well unless workshops are being held there.

Personally, I quote my clients on the digital prints based on what we negotiate and agree upon--every assignment presents different challenges and duration to complete. The rates could span anywhere from $75-$40k. You really have to study the archetype of your clients and review their demands.

For example, I have 2 very opulent clients. One loves to feel like he worked for a steal and saved big while the other one loves to adhere to the thought of if he spent a lot and that the higher the price, the more quality it is. Just asking a set of basic questions to learn about them and then utilizing that information to develop a quote both can be happy with is good economics. The one looking to save would've been charged about $25k while the other one about $30k--$5k discrepancy. Because for me, their happiness is more paramount than an actual set rate so if I can meander around the quote...sometimes I will for a better relationship.

The premise that I am trying to delineate is this though: every customer/client is different and if you can, work out a solution that both parties can be happy with. The beauty to photography and art world is that there is no fixed or mandated business model. Be creative sometimes, and explore what works best for you.

Apr 20, 2016 at 01:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.