FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · ICE Society discount

ANegm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ICE Society discount

Hello everyone,

I have noticed that there is a heavy discount on the annual membership going on for Jerry Ghionis' ice society, 200$ off for a total of 100$/year.

My question is, if anyone here is already subscribed, can you advise if it is worth it?

Thanks !

Apr 18, 2016 at 04:52 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ICE Society discount

If you want to learn about building portraits in any situation or location, including the use of OCF, Jerry is a good teacher for that.

What you will NOT learn about:
-Gear (he uses his D4 with a 70-200VR2 99% of the time)
-post processing
-photojournalistic coverage

I subbed for a year and listened to about a 100 videos before I couldn't stomach it anymore. He drove me insane calling all the brides he deals with "gorgeous" all the time. Seriously... "Look here, gorgeous", "Bring your eyes up to me, gorgeous!", etc, etc. So fake. So inauthentic. So aggravating. Use their first name for Christ's sake.

I think for 100$/year there's plenty to watch and learn from.

Apr 18, 2016 at 06:13 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ICE Society discount

It's not worth anything if you can't actually retain the information/poses and perform them on a wedding day.

Jerry, Sue Bryce, Lindsay Adler, Bambi, Doug Gordan, etc. it doesn't matter who's teaching it, I simply can't remember these highly structured poses.

Apr 18, 2016 at 07:31 AM
ANegm

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ICE Society discount

FrancisK7 wrote:
If you want to learn about building portraits in any situation or location, including the use of OCF, Jerry is a good teacher for that.

What you will NOT learn about:
-Gear (he uses his D4 with a 70-200VR2 99% of the time)
-post processing
-photojournalistic coverage

I subbed for a year and listened to about a 100 videos before I couldn't stomach it anymore. He drove me insane calling all the brides he deals with "gorgeous" all the time. Seriously... "Look here, gorgeous", "Bring your eyes up to me, gorgeous!", etc, etc. So fake. So inauthentic. So aggravating. Use their first name for Christ's
...Show more

I use the same gear most of the time, save for when i switch the zoom to a 85mm prime.
I am not interested in the post processing i already have developed my own style..
What i am really interested in is the way he poses people and how he uses/finds light, this is my weak point at the moment that i am working on..

here is my portfolio for reference;
https://500px.com/ahmednegm

and yea i hate it how he calls everyone gorgeous !

Apr 18, 2016 at 07:37 AM
TrailboyWales

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ICE Society discount

Absolutely agree on the name calling. There is a male UK photographer that does edu videos and calls the women babe, love, gorgeous, sweetheart, honey, darling etc.

Patronising git. Really grinds my gears.

Apr 18, 2016 at 09:01 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ICE Society discount

ZachOly wrote:
It's not worth anything if you can't actually retain the information/poses and perform them on a wedding day.

Jerry, Sue Bryce, Lindsay Adler, Bambi, Doug Gordan, etc. it doesn't matter who's teaching it, I simply can't remember these highly structured poses.

I'm a huge fan of ROBERTO VALENZUELA's posing books and workshops. He was a teacher before he was a photographer and his method/pointers/rules are second to none. You remember the rules, not the poses.

Apr 18, 2016 at 09:16 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ICE Society discount

FWIW, I'm over 50 and remembering (and using) clients first names is great for keeping away dementia. Most of my clients I meet for the first time on wedding day and using their name all day creates an instant bond.

If I run into them at Home Depot a year from now I might need some coaching ("where do I know you from?"), so maybe the dementia really is setting in.

Apr 18, 2016 at 09:56 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ICE Society discount

Doug Gordon = Mr Fwoow Powsing.

I know, that was awful. Bad Tom, bad!

Apr 18, 2016 at 09:58 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ICE Society discount

I asked colleagues if they had any good books or resources on posing to suggest to me, PICTURE PERFECT POSING by Roberto Valenzuela came out often.

I bought it, but I haven't started reading it. Looking forward to it

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:01 AM
ANegm

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ICE Society discount

I have it, you will love it.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:37 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ICE Society discount

The stories behind many of the photos in the book are really something. He really forces stiff people into situations they had no idea they would be in when they awoke that morning. How far he pushes family photos is really something. Live, he goes through the lead-up images to the ones that he's known for. Very reassuring to see him screw the pooch, then ask the client to come back out for another try.

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:37 AM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ICE Society discount

ANegm wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have noticed that there is a heavy discount on the annual membership going on for Jerry Ghionis' ice society, 200$ off for a total of 100$/year.

My question is, if anyone here is already subscribed, can you advise if it is worth it?

Thanks !

Absolutely love it !
Highly recommended !

Apr 20, 2016 at 09:06 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.