Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Waiting for the Night (Mt. Rainier Natl' Park)

Matt.Dieterich
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waiting for the Night (Mt. Rainier Natl' Park)

When capturing a timelapse video during the Perseid Meteor shower at Mt. Rainier National Park I had a few hikers pass by with headlamps. This photo was the result and I love seeing the pine trees lit up. The night sky in this photo is facing away from the core of the galaxy, so only the faint part of the Milky Way is visible. The Andromeda Galaxy is the small oval in the center/middle right of the image, and is around 2.3 million light years away or about 13 trillion miles haha! The background green in the sky is the result of airglow, which is oxygen molecules emitting energy they absorbed from the sun during the day. This night was incredibly relaxing. I setup both cameras to capture timelapses and then laid in the meadow to watch the meteors. In this photo there are is one Perseid meteor on the lower left and a bright satellite passed over the treeline on the right. Captured with nothing more than a Nikon D800, 14mm lens at F/2.8, and a tripod.

Comments and critique recommended!

Matt

Waiting for the Night

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:55 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waiting for the Night (Mt. Rainier Natl' Park)

Hey Matt,

I like the more toned down look on this one. It's not quite as dramatic with the Milky Way being almost washed out.

I am not quite so sure about all of the leaning trees though, I personally try to set up to avoid that, but in those cases where it happens I will correct for it in post. The Warp Transform tool is a good tool to use to help pull things straight at the bottom, but not lose the stars at the top.

With the leaning trees, if that was your intent when you composed this, I think if there were more of the trees on the right, rather then just having them barely poke it, it would help frame it better.

Also keep in mind that the 850 pix is the widest our standards allow.

Jim

Apr 17, 2016 at 07:22 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waiting for the Night (Mt. Rainier Natl' Park)

I don't mind the toned down Milky Way, but I feel your composition is lacking. The cutoff trees on the bottom and right make the image feel...well cutoff. I know it's hard to find a composition which includes interesting foreground material along with the milky way, but cutting off parts of trees just leaves the image wanting.

Apr 17, 2016 at 08:18 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waiting for the Night (Mt. Rainier Natl' Park)

chez wrote:
I don't mind the toned down Milky Way, but I feel your composition is lacking. The cutoff trees on the bottom and right make the image feel...well cutoff. I know it's hard to find a composition which includes interesting foreground material along with the milky way, but cutting off parts of trees just leaves the image wanting.

Thanks for taking a look and commenting! Since this was a frame from my timelapse video, my goal was not to focus on the landscape but to capture as much sky as possible for the Perseid Meteor Shower.

Matt

Apr 18, 2016 at 08:39 AM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Waiting for the Night (Mt. Rainier Natl' Park)

JimFox wrote:
Hey Matt,

I like the more toned down look on this one. It's not quite as dramatic with the Milky Way being almost washed out.

I am not quite so sure about all of the leaning trees though, I personally try to set up to avoid that, but in those cases where it happens I will correct for it in post. The Warp Transform tool is a good tool to use to help pull things straight at the bottom, but not lose the stars at the top.

With the leaning trees, if that was your intent when you composed this, I think if
...Show more

Hi Jim,

Thank you for commenting and offering your advice. I will have to check into using the Warp Transform tool for this one, hopefully it should help fix the trees. This area of the sky definitely has less interesting objects compared to the core of the Milky Way, but nonetheless still a beautiful region!

As always, I appreciate your tips.

Matt

Apr 18, 2016 at 08:41 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.