Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Pigeon Point Lighthouse and Milkyway

phantom76

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pigeon Point Lighthouse and Milkyway

This was in the planning for long time. Had to abandon again last week due to poor weather.

The weather gods cooperated this week and was able to try out my new Sigma 20mm 1.4 with the metabones adapter on the Sony A7RII. In the past, I have struggled with my Sony FE cameras when composing milky way shots as it is literally impossible to see anything through the EVF or live view. On the A7RII, there is this hidden feature called "Bright Monitor" which allows you to compose shots in total darkness. The camera uses a low refresh rate to paint on the live view which gives you a day time like view of the scene allowing you to compose normally (without the pain of trail and error of multiple long exposures). Once the composition is nailed, I turned off the bright monitor and just focus peaked on the stars. I exposed for only 10 seconds at f2. Some simple PP on lightroom to bump up the contrast of the milky way and Nik for cleaning up the noise.

So with the Sigma 20mm 1.4 and bright monitor feature, my milky way work flow has changed for good. Can't wait to shoot more with this combo in the coming days.

Star Trek by Jaganath S R, on Flickr

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:35 AM
EGrav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pigeon Point Lighthouse and Milkyway

Is that star movement or coma in the stars? I borrowed a Sigma 20 1.4 from a friend. Great daytime lens but the coma was too much for me.

Apr 17, 2016 at 09:09 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pigeon Point Lighthouse and Milkyway

Is that star movement or coma in the stars? I borrowed a Sigma 20 1.4 from a friend. Great daytime lens but the coma was too much for me.

Apr 17, 2016 at 09:09 AM
phantom76

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pigeon Point Lighthouse and Milkyway

It is not star movement as this was exposed for only 10 seconds.

The lens indeed exhibits some coma, but I have decided to keep it because of the convenience with the A7RII and the amount of details I can pull out in a shorter exposure. I will probably look at the Batis 18 when it becomes available.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pigeon Point Lighthouse and Milkyway

Nice take!

Apr 18, 2016 at 02:27 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.