New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rain protection for Sigma 120-300 Sport on 7D Mark II

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rain protection for Sigma 120-300 Sport on 7D Mark II

I am hopeful that this combination has been around long enough that somebody out there has figured the right cover(s) for them.

both are supposed to have greatly enhanced resistance to rain compared to their predecessors so I am not really worried about a light rain. but I would like the ability/comfort level to go out in a 'real' rain (more than a mist or drizzle) to shoot. Ideally I would like to have good access to the controls on the lens and the camera.

I gather there would be two ways of going about this: protect the camera and lens with their own covers or get one cover for both. I noticed B&H has a cover for the lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1130522-REG/lenscoat_lcs120300spbk_lens_cover_for_120_300.html) but that still leaves the matter of the camera. I *** think *** I would prefer one cover for both.

I should mention that I have intentionally worked on strength and technique for carrying this lens and do use it as a walk-about lens in a nearby forest; often walking about for three to five hours. I hold the collar foot with my fingers and wrap a strap attached to the lens lugs around my wrist as a backup. Needless to say, I would want to be able continue to do this, if at all possible. I also carry a monopod over the shoulder for occasions where I anticipate a subject that is not skittish and likely to stay put (owls, for instance).

Thanks

Apr 16, 2016 at 09:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rain protection for Sigma 120-300 Sport on 7D Mark II

Just use a clear plastic bag and elastic bands. Why waste money on fancy covers that accomplish nothing more?

You don't 'really' shoot in 'real' rain, do you?

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:27 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rain protection for Sigma 120-300 Sport on 7D Mark II

I use Think Tank Hydrophobia raincoats when shooting in really wet conditions. Why? ...because they don't fall apart midway through a day's hard shooting, in real rain, like my emergency Op/Tech rainsleeves and plastic bags do.

Apr 17, 2016 at 04:05 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rain protection for Sigma 120-300 Sport on 7D Mark II

Imagemaster, what do you know! You live on the east side of Vancouver Island (almost neighbours with my in-laws). All you ever see there is a gentle rain; more often than not, overnight no less. You probably don't need the plastic bag; the elastic bands would be enough 'protection'.

A few years back I did a photo trip to the Great Bear Rainforest and it rained pretty much every day; at times so heavy it flooded rivers. The plastic bag worked so well that I had to take the lens off the camera and take the battery and card out of it and let the camera dry out each night before the camera would work again! Now, that was a 7D and an in-depth assessment I read a year ago or so described the 7D Mark II as being about three times better sealed than the 7D. Still, nearly $8000 of gear (CDN, with taxes, for camera, TC and lens; or about $999 US (OK, I exaggerate slightly)), I don't want to completely rely on that.

I have been spending a lot of time in the forest near my place. Amazing!!! I think it would be very interesting to go there when there is a good rain; just to see how different it is. And I do hope to make it back to the Great Bear Rainforest some day (a truly incredible place). And of course, just to be prepared for rain at any time in general.

Jcolwell, do you have the Sigma 120-300 Sport? If so, how well does that raincoat work with it? Are all the controls accessible (camera and lens)? Would I be able to wrap the lug strap around my wrist? If you don't have that Sigma, what would be the closest lens you have to it (length, girth)? The 120-300 is 19" long from front of hood to the eye piece.

Thanks

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rain protection for Sigma 120-300 Sport on 7D Mark II

EverLearning wrote:
Jcolwell, do you have the Sigma 120-300 Sport? If so, how well does that raincoat work with it? Are all the controls accessible (camera and lens)? Would I be able to wrap the lug strap around my wrist? If you don't have that Sigma, what would be the closest lens you have to it (length, girth)? The 120-300 is 19" long from front of hood to the eye piece.

Hi Don,

I owned the first two versions of the Sigma EX 120-300/2.8, HSM and OS HSM. I currently own the Canon EF 300/2.8L IS and 500/4L IS. I use the same Think Tank Hydrophobia 300-600 v.2 Hydrophobia rain cover for both (but not at the same time). Your Sport is very close in size to my 300/2.8L IS. AquaTech also makes very nice, rugged rain coats. I use the AquaTech SS-Zoom for my 24-70/2.8. It looks like the SS-Zoom has been replaced by the AWS - Primary.

The TT Hydrophobias and AquaTech whatevers provide complete access (within the sleeves) to all of the right hand camera controls and left hand lens controls that you use when you're in the 'normal' long lens posture, i.e. right hand on the grip and left hand under the lens. You have access to and view of the camera rear (back) controls through the clear plastic cover that's back there. The long lens covers (like my 300-600 v.2) have a third opening where you can mount the big lens on a monopod or tripod.

I don't use wrist straps. My 300 and 500 have "strap ends" on their lens strap mounting lugs for the UpStrap DSLR/LT HeavyDuty strap system, which are wrapped around the lens barrel when not in use. OTOH, if it's a wrist strap that's in the 'normal' wrist strap position, then it should work OK.

Cheers,
Jim

Apr 17, 2016 at 03:43 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rain protection for Sigma 120-300 Sport on 7D Mark II

Thanks for the additional info Jim. Most helpful. Sounds like either should suffice.

Re the 'wrist' strap, I probably didn't explain myself very well. I have a normal camera strap (the one that came with the 7D MII I think) attached to the lens lugs. I put my hand into the loop, turn my wrist over once so the strap is around the wrist and then grab the collar foot. So even if the foot comes out of my hand, I won't drop the lens. And no adjustment is needed for shooting; just lift and shoot.

Apr 17, 2016 at 09:11 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rain protection for Sigma 120-300 Sport on 7D Mark II

In Seattle area and love shooting the rain. Had a LensCoat RainCoat and didn't really like it. Got a Hydrophobia and used it a ton on my 300 2.8 and 400 2.8. Also have the 120-300 Sport but not shot it in the rain yet.

The Hydrophobia gives good access to controls, but I do find the real clear shield gets fogged up a lot when I use it.

Apr 18, 2016 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.